The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#75233 - 03/29/05 12:42 AM Thumbs Up from Washington
Looking Up Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I got word that the Community Action Partnership organization based out of Washington DC promoted my book in their premiere magazine, called The Promise. They gave the book a great review with a very large photo of the cover. Unfortunately though, only the cover is online [Frown] , but I have a wonderful print copy in front of me! [Smile] I've used this connection with a press release:

Author Gets Thumbs Up from Washington Group

When Pat Mistretta was writing her first book, she had no idea that anyone in Washington, D.C. would even pay attention to it. She knew “Surviving the Tough Times” was a book to assist the average person having difficulties making ends meet, but never even thought it would go beyond sales on the internet or through bookstores.

But the Community Action Partnership organization knew better and featured her book in their premiere issue of The Promise. The Promise is the magazine of the Community Action Partnership and is dedicated to Community Action and 13 million people who change their lives with the help of their great network. As stated in their premiere issue, “The Community Action Partnership has concluded that ‘there are three faces of poverty: The ‘traditional face’ which is the chronically homeless and unemployed…the ‘contemporary face’ which is the working poor, and the ‘future face’ which are people doing okay by most standards but if one unexpected job loss, illness, or injury occurs, they are in danger of slipping into poverty.”

Ms. Mistretta is exceptionally pleased to be recognized by such a noble and worthy organization.

More information about the Community Action Partnership can be found at: http://www.communityactionpartnership.com/. Information about Ms. Mistretta’s book, “Surviving the Tough Times” can be found at http://survivingbook.com.

I also have two articles in publication online right now:

http://frugalvillage.com/showarticle.php?s=&threadid=53003

http://womansdivorce.com/making-ends-meet.html

So, if anyone is doubtful of what they can do, just know that I am clueless here and so new at it, but making my way. You can do it too!!

#75234 - 03/29/05 12:50 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Congrats Pat...on such a worthy accomplishment. Your book is much needed and it looks like it is getting into the hands of people who can make that happen. Good for you!

Also very good articles. I wish I had been armed with the "divorce" article back in the 70's when I was suddenly single. Also, I love thrift stores and 2nd hand shops. I've even kicked around the idea of opening one. Good articles, great advice. GO!

JJ

#75235 - 03/29/05 03:04 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
Looking Up Offline

Thank you JJ Queen! Seems like we have a lot in common with my being divorced in the 70's too and our love of thrift stores!

I like you even more now! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

#75236 - 03/29/05 03:09 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Wowza! That's a biggie. Congrats to you. Wonderful!

#75237 - 03/29/05 03:39 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Another tip about 2nd hand stores, especially "thift" ones (usually owned/run by churches) is that they very often have antiques in there for practically nothing! That's what I call a sleeper...when you find a treasurer among the everyday common things.

JJ

#75238 - 03/29/05 04:14 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Boy is that ever a terrific opportunity Pat. I love selling to and through the government. They have a huge readership and Billions (with a B) to spend.

Good work. Congratulations!!

smile

#75240 - 03/30/05 02:20 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Congratulations Pat! That's really wonderful and certainly you should add that to your PR info.

I'm a thrift shop junkie myself....have found some great old books and a couple of antiques there myself.

#75241 - 03/30/05 05:28 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Pat, I think this may be good not only for your bio, but for your readership -- and your POCKETBOOK.
I love doing business with the government. It has always paid off for me. Once I even made money from a silly little coloring book that I developed for a government funded program.
I contracted for the art work and printing and I specified in the contract that I retain the copyright.
I made a few thousand from the contract then it got picked up nationwide and I made a lot more money.
As a result of the huge government distribution, it got into some art stores and I made a few more bucks.
This could be an even bigger break for your book.
smile

#75242 - 03/31/05 08:37 AM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
Looking Up Offline

Thank you everyone for your wonderful wishes and encouragement. Although I am not sure if inclusion in this magazine will bring about a government contract, it definitely is a start. I would love to see this book in the hands of those standing on the unemployment line, as well as single moms, and families that need help through the government agencies.

Smile, may I email you privately or through our private message board to ask you a few questions?

Again, thanks for your support!

#75243 - 03/31/05 11:08 PM Re: Thumbs Up from Washington
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Way to go Pat! That's fantastic!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved