The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#74571 - 06/16/06 10:43 PM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I'd be happy, JJ, to share with you some of my impressions.
The German people, hmmm what are they like? I can't really generalize like that...you find all kinds everywhere. But if I could call them something, then I would call them: "worldly". I guess that's because Holland, Belgium, France, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Austria, Hungry, Poland Czechoslovakia, Finland, and Sweden all border directly to Germany. Italy is just a three hour car ride from our house. It's really incredible; drive a couple of hours and you're in another country. I guess that makes the people here pretty open minded, interested in other cultures, tolerant and liberal thinking.
The German's are overly sensitive about war…I would think because of their own history, they have become peace mongers…and support everything; but military force.
What do you think Cathi? Would you agree with me on this?
The cities are fascinating, because of the culture. You'll find castles and huge ancient cathedrals between modern, and very daring architecture. Almost all cities have huge pedestrian avenues…which sort of replace the mall. I think it's better, cause you get a breath of fresh air between visiting the stores.
I don't want to bore you with too much info., This was a fun question to answer, thanks for asking JJ.

#74572 - 06/16/06 11:37 PM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I cannot imagine having the luxury of being exposed to so much beauty (I read about places alot) and having neighboring countries within a half day's ride. I have a friend who writes a parenting column that lives over there and she describes things pretty much the same way. Boring? Never. Ever!

So much history there! One of our members is taking a cruise this summer over there, but I'll let her tell about it, if she choses to. Don't want to tell her beeswax with permission!

My sister has been to Germany and she said she fell in love with the people and the country. I could sit at someone's feet and listen for hours and hours about it all. I find it fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

I know this is a discussion about other countries, but let me say also that I felt the same way after visiting Yellowstone. What an amazing place with all of the waterfalls and different animals and plants...I'd go there tomorrow if I could...so many places to visit on this great planet of ours. I've always thought I would like to see Czechoslovakia. I'm drawn to it for some reason.

JJ

#74573 - 06/16/06 11:57 PM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
Edelweiss Offline

JJ, you are so right. You certainly don't have to travel overseas to see such beauty. The Yellowstone park in incredible. Germans love to visit America because it's so versatile, big, and plain amazing. I get asked, quite often, how I could have left such a beautiful country. Then I point my finger at my husband...and say "he done it." We'll be married 31 years. Good thing it worked out, heh?
By the way, just spelling Czechoslovakia is half the way there. .-)

#74574 - 06/17/06 12:04 AM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm laughing out loud now because of your comment "he done it" and because I copied your spelling and pasted it in my note. Otherwise it would have been phonics...

And congrats on 31 years. That's beautiful!

JJ

#74575 - 06/17/06 01:43 AM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Well I'm happy to say I'm the friend of JJ's who's taking the cruise on the Rhine River later this summer....and I can hardly wait!

Also I did live in Weisbaden, Germany for three years when I was four years old - can't say I have a TON of memories but I can remember our house and yard and the big park across the street from our home. My Dad was in the Air Force so we traveled a LOT and I still have the "travel bug" all these years later. I have tons of old photos from our various vacations and explorations while we lived in Weisbaden. What a wonderful experience it's been to see so much of the world.

#74576 - 06/17/06 02:03 AM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
Edelweiss Offline

Hi Pam, I thought JJ meant you. We already corresponded about your upcoming cruise. If you get a chance; go to a wine party. I'm sure they will have something like that on the ship, or along the harbour. Those are great…like everyone just LOVES everyone. People from the Rhine area are so easy to get to know.
Do you know that the biggest Coo-Coo clock in the world is in Wiesbaden? Maybe you have photos of it. I remember standing in front of it for at least half an hour waiting for the bird to come out and scream coo-coo; nothing came out; it was a Sunday, and they turned it off or something. Jeez, that bird is probably louder than the church bells.

#74577 - 06/18/06 04:07 PM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Hannelore I didn't know about the big clock! Perhaps we DID see it and I just don't remember since I was only 4-5 at the time. Wine party - sounds like MY kind of "activity" !! LOL I know they serve regional wines with all dinners on the ship but we'll have to check out some of the small towns we'll be visiting along the river to sample their "specialties" too. We are already getting excited about the trip and we don't leave until the end of August!

#74578 - 06/19/06 09:35 AM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Grusskot(SP) Hannelore,

I had heard that if I wanted to make someone in Heidelberg angry, I just say Grusskot and not Guten Tag. For you ladies that are not aware. Grusskot is the Bavarian greeting. Bavaria and the rest of the former W. Germany are not the best of friends. Kind of like our Yankees and Southerners about 50 years ago.

JJ, I left Germany in 1995 and I can only tell you what my opinion is based on pre-1995.

When I first moved back to the States, I was excited about this fresh start. Four months later, I was ready to move back to Germany. I really missed the atmosphere and the laid back attitude there. Then I became concerned about my daughter because I sensed that she was expected to be perfect. When we first moved here, I was pestered a great deal about having to put her on ritalin. She was sad at the same time because she had a big adjustment to make and she was only 6 at that time. So I wondered if we didn't make a mistake in moving back here.

But now, I would go there to Germany for an extended vacation. We are so spoiled here in the States, and that includes me, LOL.

Here are some of the cons as far as living in Germany. There are not too many opportunities there for just anybody. In other words, if you want to fulfill a dream and you are willing to work at it, there may not be an opportunity like there would be in the US. The stores were always closed early, so on Saturdays, you definitely needed to be up by 8AM if you wanted to take care of personal business. There isn't much competition and a store cannot go on sale except 2 times a year. That is when all the stores can do that at the same time. Basically no competition. Therefore; the customer service was seriously lacking.

The pros of living there. The traveling, the outdoor/indoor cafes, and the restaurants. The castles and the scenery are out of this world. Now what I just said about customer service. The friendship is opposite. German's make the best of friends and they are your friends for life. I felt safe there as well. I like the fact that you are not expected to be perfect over there. There is a time to work and there is a time to relax. It isn't the hustle and bustle as we have here. There isn't too many hang up either.

As I said, I am basing this on how Germany was before 1995. Things might have changed since then.

There are times I miss the lifestyle there. But I have become accustomed to the conveniences here that it may be difficult for me to live in Germany again. Now, I didn't have internet when I was there and that might make a difference too.

Sorry I took so long to answer, I am now trying to get my house ready to put it on the market. We are trying to downsize now and we are looking to move into a condo. Unfortunately, we have to sell this place first, Ugh. Which means I have been trying to declutter, and that is always fun. Yippee! NOT!

Cheers,
Cathi

#74579 - 06/19/06 12:33 PM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
Edelweiss Offline

Hello Ladies,
Just want to say; see you in the fall. We'll be away a good part of the summer. But if I can, I'll try to steal away and visit my Boomer friends.
I agree with just about everything you said Cathi. Two things have changed since 1995, though. Now the stores can have sales whenever they want to, thus the service quality is a lot better, and the stores are open till 7:00 P.M. and on Saturdays as well. They are talking about extending the closing times further, like in Italy. Hope they get that through. You live in Virginia Beach, Cathi? Please tell us something about that area, oh, and good luck with your house sale!
Here's wishing you all a wonderful summer.I'm already looking forward to coming back to you all.
Aufwiedersehn and so-long,
Hannelore

#74580 - 06/19/06 04:35 PM Re: Which title would you pick up to read?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Girls, how great! I soaked up everything you've offered. I have another friend who lives in Germany right now, Christine Louise Hohlbaum. I'm going to ask her if she has anything to contribute. I would love anyone's opinion about the Czechoslovakia areas as well.

Funny we were discussing Yellowstone as I watched a special on it last night. Everything they showed I kept saying, "Hey, I've been there! I've been there!" A documentary doesn't do it justice. It's so amazing. I don't think I would ever get tired of being there. Unless of course I had a "up close and personal" with a bear!

JJ

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved