The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#74303 - 01/06/06 03:38 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
KayB, I so understand exactly what you are saying about turning off your emotions, and this makes you very human. I did the same thing, and just had this VERY discussion today with a friend. I told her that the memories of it all were so painful for me, that I cannot get involved right now with other areas of caregiving.

I know I could write things about caregiving, do volunteer work, speeches, and the like, but my heart won't allow it. Not now. So, believe me, I understand. My best to you in your own healing from the loss of your sweet grandmother, and my prayers are with you in your caregiving role as life moves on. I'm here if you ever need me!

JJ

#74304 - 01/06/06 10:12 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
Flo Voy Offline

Loc: Florida
quote:
I pay for my caregiver out of pocket. Medicare should help pay for home care because it's more cost-effective for me to take care of my mother at home than if she was in a nursing home.
Amen to that. The system is broken and getting brokener. Just look at this new so-called Drug Benefit. What a nightmare. I mean, I'm taking care of it all for my Dad, but I've seen elderly people on TV in tears trying to figure it out by themselves.

I now have a full-time caregiver for my Dad, and he's doing pretty well, thank the Lord. He'll be 80 in a couple of months. He's had cancer, which is now in remission, and we've had some rough times in the past year. A change of doctors helped tremendously. I'm so glad I did that.

Hugs to all caregivers. Talk about your thankless jobs. Yet I believe it's more than an obligation and duty. To me, it's a sacred trust. They took care of us (as best they could). They should not be shunted off somewhere in holding cells to die, and in my personal opinion that is the function of most nursing homes.

It has been my personal observation that most nursing homes are underfunded and understaffed, and the staff they have is mainly in survival mode, just trying to get through the day in a rather depressing job. That's what I've seen anyway. I wouldn't want to die there, and I won't put my Dad there.

There are exception. There are private nursing facilities that are well staffed by caring, upbeat people, and they are sparkling clean and decorated like 4 and 5 star hotels. But they cost. Oh boy do they cost.

#74305 - 01/08/06 04:18 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
F N Rosenstock Offline

Loc: Georgia
Bravo to all of you! We MUST change Medicare now. Start writing to your state's represenstatives and senators.

Start talking to your community groups and churches. Anytime you have an opportunity to write a letter to the editor, call a radio talk show, or comment on the Internet, do it!

As for grief and healing, it took me six months after my father died 20 years ago to stop crying everyday. Now, although I rarely cry and talking about him makes me feel he's still with me, there are still some things that will move me to tears, even sobbing. I don't think we ever get over the loss of someone we loved, nor should we. However, with time, it gets easier. Let yourself feel the pain.

For those of you who discussed rehab options after illness, there are home health agencies and there are even agencies that will provide someone everday for houskeeping, errands, etc.

I used to take my mother to daycare once or twice a week at an assisted living facility where I hired several CNAs to come after their shifts were over. The current caregiver I have was a referral from my mother's physical therapist who we get through home health.

Speaking of daycare. There are assisted living facilities that have day care services. You can drop your parent off sometimes as early as 7:00am and pick up is sometimes as late as 8:00pm. They also have respite services which I have used. This was great for my mother because she interacted with other people. New owners discontinued the program and I haven't found another one in the area.

As for work, some companies, like IBM, let their employees work from home. Others caregivers I know have started home-based businesses.

Just some things to think about . . . [Smile]

#74306 - 01/08/06 07:50 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Also, and this may have been mentioned(?), churchs are popping up everywhere with "Elder Day Care" programs.

F N - wouldn't it be great if we all had a STANDARD letter that could be shared among millions of us, to send to our state representatives and congressmen regarding these issues? Maybe more than one letter? One for Medicare? One for the rising cost of nursing homes and assisted living facilities? One for suspected elder abuse? yada...yada...yada...

Hey, maybe there are already things like this in existence?

JJ

#74307 - 01/09/06 01:03 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I bet there are, and we could probably find them if we Googled enough.

I have a dear friend who just began a new business that helps boomers keep their parents in their homes by offering all kinds of services to do so. This could be the wave of the future. Any thoughts?

#74308 - 01/09/06 05:10 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh Dotsie...please have your friend give us insight... We could actually help her spread the word.

JJ

#74309 - 01/10/06 08:42 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
F N Rosenstock Offline

Loc: Georgia
And that could be a home-based business -- offering services or being a clearinghouse for services.

I have been in caregiver mode for the past two days. I had to take my mother to the ER again. She has pneumonia and a low sodium level, both common in elderly people. I stayed with her from 11:00 pm on Sunday night until 9:30 tonight (Monday). A friend finally persuaded me to leave by telling me if I got sick or worn out, I couldn't care for her. I hated to leave her but she's right.

As caregivers, our friends are great support for us.

So here I sit . . . overwhelmed and over-tired as I'm sure so many in my situation often find themselves, exhausted and running the gamut of emotions.

I'm heading back early tomorrow and I hope I can take her home. Until later . . .

#74310 - 01/10/06 08:54 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I am saying a prayer for you and your mother tonight. May you be blessed with peace and health.

smile

#74311 - 01/10/06 03:00 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
chickadee Offline

I am adding you to my prayers F N Rosenstock. Hang in there. We're here for you.
chick

#74312 - 01/10/06 07:03 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Same here. Prayers all around. If you get time, keep us posted. We're here!

JJ

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved