The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#74293 - 01/02/06 05:36 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Welcome Francyne,
Glad to have you here.

#74294 - 01/02/06 07:32 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
FN, I've read your book and am amazed that you left your life's work to care for an aging parent around the clock. Do you mind telling us how you made that decision?

I have a friend who has done the same. She is renting her home so she could move in with her parent. I admire both of you.

#74295 - 01/03/06 04:38 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
F N Rosenstock Offline

Loc: Georgia
Actually, I took a graceful step to the side.

I was publishing a magazine and left that position to care for my mother. Then I worked as an editor of a trade magazine for several years which I did from my home office. I left that at the end of September.

Now, I have returned to my original career as a freelance writer which I also do from my home office. It's a lot less stressful. No responsibilities except making deadlines. It also gives me more time to spen with my mother.

Taking care of my mother is my full-time job. Writing is my part-time job.

[ January 02, 2006, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

#74296 - 01/03/06 04:44 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Welcome Francyne I admire what you are doing for your mom. Too many elderly parents get filed away in Nursing homes when it gets to be too much trouble for the kid or kids to deal with...

#74297 - 01/03/06 09:14 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Welcome,Francyne.

I am an admirer of caretakers also. I didn't take care of my Mother, tho' - she died in a car accident. But I took care of my child for many years....one job that has the reward of lasting love, and not a gold watch! (or a very big paycheck, either!)

Searcher

#74298 - 01/03/06 05:13 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
F N Rosenstock Offline

Good morning. An hour ago (6:30 am EST) I returned from spending the night in the ER with my mother. She's sleeping. I'm working (for as long as I can last) and taking care of her.

I'll check in later if I can. If not, see you tomorrow! [Smile]

[ January 03, 2006, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

#74299 - 01/03/06 09:07 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sorry to hear about all the trips to the ER. Is this common with your mom's illness?

F N, in your book you write:

"I had rescued my mother from the claws of death in the guise of a nursing home."

That is a strong statement. Please tell us if you believe this about all nursing homes.

I know a dear woman nurse who works in a nursing home and she adores her patients. She treats them like family.

#74300 - 01/06/06 08:38 AM Re: Taking Care of Mom
F N Rosenstock Offline

Good morning,

Mea culpa for not posting yesterday. I was without help and Mom wasn't doing well. Things resolved last night and this morning, she's doing much better. As a full-time caregiver, my life revolves around hers and when she's ill, my world stops.

Mom doesn't have an illness. I had a caregiver who told me she had allergies when, in reality, she had a sore throat. For Mom and other aging people who are not as robust as we are, this can be a disaster. I reacted quickly to keep her out of the hospital.

I know I made a strong statement about the nursing home in the book and I stand by it. When I wrote the book, it was based on my experiences.

Since writing the book, I have heard horror stories from others that would make your hair stand on end, so I now take the liberty of adding to my prior statement: I think all nursing homes should be closed! There is no purpose for them.

Terminally ill people can get hospice services which I understand is excellent. People like my mother should be able to stay in their own homes or live with their families. One of the main roadblocks for that is Medicare. It's time to revise the progam so we can take care of our parents.

Briefly, Medicare was established in 1965 to pay for catastrophic illness. (You could still go to a doctor for $20 in those days!)

Medicine has changed. It's more preventative now, yet Medicare has not changed with the times. One of the issues is home care.

I pay for my caregiver out of pocket. Medicare should help pay for home care because it's more cost-effective for me to take care of my mother at home than if she was in a nursing home.

I'm very fortunate. I can work at home. If I had to work in an office, I don't know what I'd do because I can't afford full-time care for her. (My mother is not ambulatory and I can't leave her alone.) If Medicare helped pay for caregiver costs, I think more people would take in their family members.

[ January 05, 2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: F N Rosenstock ]

#74301 - 01/05/06 09:16 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
F N,
I almost agree with you 100% as I've had the nursing home experience with Daddy. If you've been there, you understand where you are coming from. I know I do. But then I think of the people who have no one to care for them. Who would see to their needs? Even for inhome care...

One point you made without directly stating it is that NO ONE will take as good a care of our loved ones as WE would do. There is something wrong with the system when we cannot afford to either stay home and take care of a loved one, or have to pay out of pocket to have someone come in and do it. I agree with you there, 100%. If we could have, Daddy would have NEVER left his home. Medicare is not listening.

JJ

#74302 - 01/05/06 10:03 PM Re: Taking Care of Mom
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
We have had some minor experiences with nursing homes over the past 5 years.
Most recently was when my mother needed one for rehab after a hospital stay, when she couldn't walk on her own.
We didn't have time to research, so we chose 2 of 3 we knew of with good reputations. We lucked out & got our first choice---and it turns out the location was highly rated, despite what it looks like from the outside!
My mom had very good care & it helped eased my nerves. Of course the thought of having to put her in a home permanently would be another story.

My cousin lost her father, who had been taking care of her mom with MS. She moved back home & had to eventually hire someone to come take care of her mom while she was at work. My aunt fell & broke her ankle. The hospital wouldn't allow her to go home--and made her be released to a nursing home. (I believe they were going to get social services involved if my cousin didn't agree to this--NOT THAT ANYTHING WAS GOING ON!!)

The first nursing home my cousin chose, again without having time to research, was near her home.
We went to visit my aunt & I couldn't believe it.
I was very upset that my aunt was of sound mind, and would have to spend the rest of her life in a place like that!
She had BRAIN CANCER---had a seizure--and her left side was slightly paralized. Nobody notified my cousin!
Of course my cousin got her out of there--this all happened within the 2 weeks she was there.
The next place was wonderful! They were the ones who discovered the brain cancer--and began to give her the proper care she should have had from the moment she had the seizure!
My aunt didn't last long after being diognosed, but the nursing home was wonderful during that time.

So I have witnessed some good and some bad....and it worries me to death about my mom later on. We plan on taking care of her at home---I am already staying at home to take care of her now.

With my grandmother, we all knew when it was her time, she'd just go peacefully. And she did. We are hoping my mom will be able to do the same.

Medicaid is another evil in my life!!! You'd think they'd jump at a chance to save money! It is a dirty word in this house--that's another topic!!!

I fully understand being a caregiver.
What upsets me abit....is I am learning how to be a caregiver on this site because of others.

I am having a rough time of it right now because of my grandmother passing away at Thanksgiving. I have been turning my emotions off---and not wanting to go near any post involving real feelings.

I am thinking of you all.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved