The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#742 - 01/24/06 08:33 AM Church of the Holy Sepulcher
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I was just in Israel. Everyone there knows about this Church in Jerusalem where they say that Jesus is buried. In the church itself, the Catholics have their corner and the Orthodox has their corner but both have a stake in it.

Would it be considered harmful to Christianity in the U.S. if Jesus is actually buried somewhere? Personally I think that the true miracle of Christ is his Word and teachings that have endured a couple of milennia. Apparently, though, it doesn't make a difference to Christians in other parts of the world. But in the U.S. it seems that there's so much emphasis on bodily resurrection and return.

#743 - 01/23/06 09:17 PM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I think people of the Jewish faith believe the church is over the tomb where Jesus IS buried whereas Christians believe the church is over the tomb where Jesus WAS buried.

The New Testament, which is the basis of Christianity, describes the Resurrection of Jesus from that tomb and His ascension into heaven. It seems to say Jesus is buried somewhere would be compatible with the Jewish faith, but not with Christianity.

smile

#744 - 01/23/06 10:18 PM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
DJ, the reason Christianity has survived is because of the resurrection! It is unique to Christianity and it is essential because it shows that Jesus is the Creator and has control over all of nature, including death.
He promises us eternal life and a glorified body (incorruptible).

#745 - 01/23/06 11:11 PM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
DJ Offline

The Church is not the same as the cave which was found empty where the rock was rolled away after the crucifixion, but in a different area.

Bluebird -- aren't there Christians who view the resurrection as symbolic of spiritual rebirth?

#746 - 01/23/06 11:25 PM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
There are probably Christians who view it that way but it is not what the apostles taught. The faith that they died for, teaches us that we do need to be reborn, spiritually, but that there would be a resurrection of our bodies, just like Jesus'. They also stressed that He would, indeed, come back to earth again, in His glorified body and then he would raise the corruptible (our bodies, dead or alive) into incorruptible ones.
I, personally, can't wait!

#747 - 01/23/06 11:40 PM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I thought the church is over the cave where Jesus was buried and from which he was resurrected.

Seems like I read that the cave where Jesus was buried was destroyed by someone, but the gravesites of others remain and there is some archeological evidence to support the church being over the burial place of Jesus.

smile

#748 - 01/23/06 11:41 PM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
DJ

You asked us to consider an important question - "would it be harmful to Christianity in the U.S. if Jesus is actually buried somewhere?"

In my opinion, I think it would. This has got me thinking about the importance of the resurrection to me. I believe the resurrection to be the cornerstone of my faith - Christ conquered death, He lives eternal. Without the resurrection, Christ is mere man - albeit, a prophet with some great teachings, but mere man none the less. With the resurrection, Christ is the son of God, and more than mere man. This is what I believe. So, finding the body of Jesus still on earth would considerably rock my faith!! To me, it would mean Christianity was built on a lie - and I think that would be devasting to the Christian religion as a whole (not just the U.S.).

Of course, some would probably aruge that you could still have Christianity without the resurrection, by simply focusing on Christ's teachings - and probably some do that already. But for me, personally, it wouldn't be the same faith then.

#749 - 01/23/06 11:53 PM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Evie Offline

http://www.bibleplaces.com/holysepulcher.htm

"First-Century Tomb

The best piece of evidence that the tomb of Jesus was in this area is the fact that other first-century tombs are still preserved inside the church. Called the "Tomb of Joseph of Arimathea," these burial shafts (kokhim) are clearly from the time of Christ's death and thus attest to some kind of burial ground in the area. Combined with the evidence from tradition, this church is most likely the true location of the Christ's death and burial." This is the site the church is built around.

also from that website:

"The Garden Tomb

While officially the Garden Tomb Association only maintains this as a possible site for Christ's burial, some tour guides of the site are very convinced. They note the large cistern nearby, which proves the area must have been a garden in Jesus' day. They maintain that there are marks of Christian veneration at the tomb which also prove its sanctity throughout the ages." This site was apparently discovered in the late 1800's - a tomb in the side of a rocky escarpment.

#750 - 01/24/06 01:44 AM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
DJ Offline

Evie
Do you believe that a "mere man" could have come up with the teachings in the Gospel?

#751 - 01/24/06 02:31 AM Re: Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Evie Offline

hmmm - good point. Could a man, on his own, without divine guidance of some sort, come up with those teachings? Maybe. But wouldn't that just make him a wise man? - and there have been lots of those. For me, what sets Christ apart, is the resurrection.

(I'm sorry, I'm probably not explaining this well -semantics and theology not being one of my strong points. And I'm trying to explain this without coming across as trying to convert anyone....)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved