The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#73393 - 06/24/05 06:03 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Julie Pedersen Offline

Loc: Chicago
To...Everyone,
I wanted to mention an article in last Sunday's New York Times. I thought I had it with me, but of course I don't! Anyway, I'll bring it for next time but here's what it said: a recent study, the most comprehensive of its kind, concluded that nearly half, that's NEARLY HALF, THAT'S NEARLY HALF (are ya' listening?) of all Americans will suffer some form of mental illness in their lives. When Jeanne and I wrote The Panic Diaries, it was very hard to get solid numbers on the statistics of how many people are suffering. We decided that the pieces of the pie don't add up and that there must be a couple of pies - but none of the pies all put together came up with any number like this - that's 150,000,000 people. YIKES!!!!!!!

So what's to be done? Well, talk about being less alone than you thought, huh? That's the good news - the other good news (in my view) is that if THAT MANY PEOPLE have "mental illness" then maybe there's something wrong with the model and the language and all the things that go along with that. I think we need a broader concept of mind and richer understanding of the impact of experience and how a person comes to get stuck inside of fear or fall into depression or dissociative disorders. There are some people working on this - you can only believe that with "the most comprehensive study of its kind" coming out with such an incredible number, more and more people - from the President down to the corner doctor and the swanky shrink or the narrow-minded psychiatrist - will start paying attention and thinking and rethinking our current approach to "mental illness."

-Julie

#73394 - 06/24/05 06:08 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Julie and Jeanne, what a wealth of information you have offered me.
I talked to my daughter last night and she said she is going to sit down with Shanny and discuss her options and which route she would like to go. In the meantime,I am going to send her the books. Her Mom bought one for her before and she read it.(I forget the name).It didn't change her mind, so now it's time for plan B.

She lives in an outport where it is very safe and kids spend time outside still. They go swimming and walking, etc.

One time she said, "Nan, I wish they would just hypnotise me." I told her maybe they could, but I don't have the answers to that either, really.What are your views on this?

Julie, seven hours on a tarmac? Bless you heart girl.My fear is the highway, I came from a town with no stop lights and one long road. I still take "the long way home." Because of your presence on our site this month, it made me more aware of it. I am going to go Sunday driving on the highway...baby steps. See, you helped me just by being here. [Big Grin]
I will keep you posted on Shannys progress and can't thank you both enough for writing your book and sharing your stories.

Where do you suggest I purchase the Panic Diaries from? Do you do signed editions?

Dotsie, you have made excellent choices for "Featured Authors." I have enjoyed all of them.

chick

#73395 - 06/24/05 08:32 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Hi Jeanne and Julie,

I am sorry I came into this thread late. I have been trying to catch up with all these posts here.

Anyway, I too have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. I had even come to a point that everytime I want to do just about anything, I get into this "analysis paralysis". It has been so bad that I almost went on the verge of becoming an agoraphobic.

Incidently, not anymore, I have really been working on it through counceling. There are things I still want to do and accomplish in my life that I just had to say enough and get out of my "pity party". I have discovered during this time that even if things do not go the way I think or would have liked to have gone. It is still okay, because it is so much better to just do it, then to be a hermit. Being a hermit is no fun at all.

I also need to give God the credit, for He did lift me out of this mess.

Thanks for being here, and I am glad to meet you!

Cheers and Blessings,
Cathi

#73396 - 06/25/05 04:41 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
JeanneJ Offline

Chick,
Thanks for all of the kind words. Probably the easiest/quickest way to purchase "The Panic Diaries" is through Amazon.com.

Regarding hypmotism...I know some people struggling with panic have had success with it, although I have never experienced it, personally. We do touch on it in the book, in the recovery chapter. And I think it's great that you are taking those "baby steps"...they're the thing that great achivements are made of!

And Cathi,
Glad to have you with us. You show courge in moving forward, past your fear. Good job!

Jeanne

#73397 - 06/26/05 11:51 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Wisdom&Life Offline

Jeanne,

Thanks for the comments here.

May I ask a question? Is it possible to have a relapses? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I always like to be prepared. Unfortunately, that is where the "analysis paralysis" comes in.

Anyway, if a relapse occurs how difficult would it be to get out of it?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Cathi

#73398 - 06/27/05 06:19 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
JeanneJ Offline

Cathi,

In most instances people who struggle with panic have "triggers". Some examples of triggers would be: extreme stress, a major illness, loss of a loved one through death or divorce or other, major life changes like college graduation, even marriage.

Being aware of what your triggers are, and taking good care of yourself physically and emotionally can help to keep you well. Doing things like monitoring your stress level, exercising, enjoying some sort of quiet time, and (for me anyway) spirituality, I believe these are all vital to one's good mental health.

But if by some chance you should relpase, you have already recovered, so you know your way back. You know what works for you. And if you need more help, well, there is so much available in the way of recovery.

I'll keep a good thought for you!

Jeanne

#73399 - 06/27/05 06:26 AM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Wisdom&Life Offline

Jeanne,

I thought as much, but I wanted to double check.

I think what you are doing is great. I know that you put so much into what you do, and I really appreciate you being here!

Cheers and God Bless,
Cathi

#73400 - 06/28/05 04:14 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
JeanneJ Offline

Cathi,

Thanks again for your kind words.

What I learned through writing this book as well as through my own recovery, is that there is treatment, and in most cases full recovery for anyone struggling with panic attacks and most other mood disorders.

In the last twenty years there has been a huge shift in the medical community regarding their attitude towards mood disorders. This change, along with all of the pharmacutical and cognitive-therapy advances, has resulted in treatment options that simply were not availble a decade ago.

Although there is still so much to be learned, especially about the "why" of panic attacks, and research continues, it is important for those who are struggling to be aware...there is help available. There is treatment, there is recovery.

Jeanne

#73401 - 06/28/05 08:10 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Jeanne,
I would be interested in knowing if you feel panic attacks, mood alterations, etc... could possible be involved in things where people turn violent. Like the Andrea Yates case where she drowned her children. In other words, could she have been helped? Was she misdiagnosed perhaps? The papers said, "The motive for killing her children, he indicated, appeared to be the same as her suicide: to escape an intolerable, high-stress situation." Isn't stress a factor in panics? I'm asking because I'm ignorant on this subject and because I very much would like to know and feel you are a very good expert to ask!

JJ

#73402 - 06/28/05 08:12 PM Re: The Panic Diaries, Jeanne Jordan and Julie Pedersen, Ph.D.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I might be wrong but I feel that members of the medical community and especially men, consider panic attacks as a female, hysterical thing.

Years ago, I received a call at work from a paramedic, who a gas station owner had called because my girlfriend had pulled up, unable to speak and wrote down my phone number. He got scared and called the paramedics. So, the paramedic calls me and acts like my girlfriend is this mental case, who he has to step in for. But, I said, "Excuse me sir, my girlfriend had surgery for a brain tumor several years ago so why are you automatically dismissing this as hysteria?" You know what? He didn't change his tune or tone and I had to drive to the station to get her. She refused to go back to the doctor out of fear of another tumor so we never did find out what caused this moment but I was put off by the paramedics attitude toward it.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved