The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#72618 - 02/04/04 07:05 PM Re: The 5 People
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, good thought. I think it could be th e balance thing. Unless I'm missing something.

Isn't it sad how one traumatic event can shapre someone's life forever?

I don't believe it should be that way, but I know people who've allowed it. Some people just can't seem to carry on after traumatic incidents. they do, but not witht he same vitality as before. How sad.

Eddie had other stuff going on too. I think Georgia's comment about his father was instrumental in how he chose to live his life. Thoughts?

#72619 - 02/26/04 07:57 PM Re: The 5 People
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, below is a column written by a women writer who has submitted for my book. This isn't what she submitted, but she knows we read "the five people you meet in heaven" so she sent me her article. See what you think. I told her I would share because I thought many of us have probably been thinking about who our five people might be. Hope you enjoy it. [Wink]

All newspaper editors want to know what their readers like. If you would like to read this feature in your local newspaper, please do not hesitate to share your enthusiasm with your local newspaper editor. You can read Bex's weekly column at www.MaconAreaOnline.com.

Interested in using Bex's column in your publication? Contact her at BexHall@bexhall.com

RELEASED JANUARY 26, 2004

I Hope To See You Again

I recently finished reading "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. The premise of the story is that in the afterlife, there are five people who explain your earthly life to you. They may have been loved ones or distant strangers, yet each of them changed your path on earth forever.

There have been a few times this week I've imagined who my five people might be if this story were true, and I remembered someone from long ago.

His name was Mr. Watson.

In early June of 1976, I was admitted to the hospital after my bike and I tangled with an automobile doing 55 m.p.h. The car won. I was twelve years old at the time, but I remember the fear like it was yesterday.

Months in traction and pain have a way of making 24 hours seem more like 72. People floated in and out of my days and nights there in the Pediatrics ward, but there was one man who took a little extra time while doing his job. It always seemed to take Mr. Watson longer to sweep and mop the floor on my side of the room.

He would prop his elbow on the long handle, lean on it and ask me how I was doing. We'd talk for a while, his smile always a comfort. Not only did he smile with his mouth, he smiled with his eyes. That was a big deal for me then because nearly everyone who looked at me did so without realizing the horror revealed in their eyes. But in Mr. Watson's eyes, all I saw was compassion and love.

Over the months, he would bring his family to visit me on his day off. He gave me a gift one time, of a large ceramic piggy bank. It was painted with black and red spots and even then I knew it was somewhat garish looking. Then he sat it in the windowsill and told me to crack it open when I was "all finished getting healed up," and spend the money on something special.

He must have read my thoughts because he said "Now I know this pig isn't all that pretty on the outside, but you fill it up with coins and every time you add to it, you think good thoughts about getting better and that'll make him pretty on the inside." That was one of the last times I saw Mr. Watson, because I was finally going home.

Many years later, on the first Sunday in June of 2000, I woke from a dream about Mr. Watson, his smile, and the day I cracked my piggy bank open, a year after the accident. I literally had to use a hammer, as there was no other way to open it. I remembered the mixed feelings I had about destroying one treasure to get to a different one.

I tried to recall what I used the money for since I was "all healed up," but the memories and the dream floated away, leaving me with a sense of peace.

That lazy Sunday morning was the first time in a long while I had thought of that terrifying time in my life. I had nearly forgotten about Mr. Watson and his gift for helping me heal. I told my husband how odd it felt to remember him out of the blue like that, in a dream, twenty-four years later on nearly the same date we had met.

It was about a week after that, I received an envelope in the mail from my Grandmother and in it was a news clipping. It was from the obituary page and at the top was a photograph, the same picture etched in my mind, of a man who smiled with his eyes.

It was dated June 4, 2000. The first Sunday of June.

Mr. Watson, I’ll look forward to seeing you again one day.

Copyright © 2004 Bex Hall

#72620 - 02/26/04 09:27 PM Re: The 5 People
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
what a beautiful, and well-written story. I hope I am blessed someday to meet a Mr. Watson. Hey, maybe I have. Food for thought.

Kudos to the writer. She made me tingle with joy.

JJ

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved