The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#72520 - 06/05/04 04:04 PM not without anna
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I appreciated how the adults involved in the story took a bad situation and created good.

I often hear about parents whose children are killed by drunk drivers and then become involved with spaeking to huge teen assemblies, or they become involved with legislation to have laws changed, etc.

Vicki, what prompted you to work your story line that way? I loved the idea of working iwth the teens. What teens need is adults who show interest in them.

#72521 - 06/05/04 05:18 PM Re: not without anna
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
What prompted me? I felt a desire to show that even those these adults lose their children they still love children and want to help anyone they can. They didn't want more children to follow in the footsteps of their own. They hoped that they could lead by example.

More than anything, Charles and Katherine wanted to give something to the community that wasn't there for their teenagers. They wanted to avoid more situations similar to the ones that surrounded their children's deaths.

Their motivation was that if they could save just one life, all their hard work and dedication to their cause would have been worth it.

Peace!

[ June 05, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#72522 - 06/05/04 06:14 PM Re: not without anna
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
What a wonderful way to turn a terrible thing serendipitous. Great work vicki.
smile

#72523 - 06/05/04 09:22 PM Re: not without anna
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

thanks, Smile. I appreciate the kind words.

#72524 - 06/09/04 07:08 AM Re: not without anna
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Something else I have to mention is the fact that even though the parents thought they were involved enough in their kids lives, they weren't.

There is such a fine balance with teenagers because we want so badly to give them the independence they need for future years, but it can't come too soon. What a balancing act! I'm living that act 3 times over! [Eek!]

#72525 - 06/08/04 09:48 PM Re: not without anna
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Good point, Dotsie . . . we do try to help our teenagers find their independence, but at what cost? If we give in to their begging for more independence, then we lose our fragile hold on their actions. If we hold too tight, then we can inadvertently encourage them to act out more to protest their independence.

Could Katherine or Charles have raised their children any differently? Would it have made a difference in the outcome?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved