The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#72093 - 12/20/04 06:10 AM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Daphne Offline

Loc: Macon, GA
Mrs. Muzz (and others)--One of the freedoms for me this Christmas is feeling less fettered by the expectations of others. I love the image of you turning loose of that flour bin and noticing that the world spins anyway. And Christmas gifts, after all, are called gifts, not "Christmas obligations." What if the mall ads read "Find the perfect obligatory gesture for everyone on your obligation list!"

My wish is to gift my daughter and my clients and my friends with an image of midlife and elder womanhood as something to be cherished and enjoyed--and a prayer that they will carry that image with them into their own old age. The world desperately needs women who are self-confident and self-loving, who can offer their wisdom and services out of a state of abundance and generosity. We can't exemplify that if we're exhausted and overtaxed.

#72094 - 12/20/04 03:48 PM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
quote:
Originally posted by Daphne:
The world desperately needs women who are self-confident and self-loving, who can offer their wisdom and services out of a state of abundance and generosity. We can't exemplify that if we're exhausted and overtaxed.

AMEN to that!!!!!!!! [Smile]

#72095 - 12/20/04 11:33 PM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Daphne Offline

Thanks, Evie! That's my prayer for all of us in this forum--a vision of containment and self-possession and poise, especially in this hectic season.

#72096 - 12/21/04 03:06 AM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
All the gifts are wrapped and under the tree and for once I am not worrying about having got it "right" - I've put in a good effort and no one should expect more than that. I'm coasting until Christmas Eve then a last minute clean and setting up the big table for lunch for 22! [Big Grin] (I actually quite like that part). Everyone helps so cooking isn't a big deal. Peace to all - here's my Christmas tanka

a dark cave
warmed by animals
a single light
glints on straw
wet with lochia :

#72097 - 12/21/04 06:26 PM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for al the sweet thougths that continue to swarm my brain this season. I'm grateful Daphne could be here with us at this time. It's been very helpful.

Daphne, you mention learning from wounds. I'm a firm believer in wounds being teachers too. When I look back on my life, it was during the roughest times that I eventually learned the most and was able to grow to the next step. Sometimes it's hell being in the midst of a tough time, but if we only have hope that better things are to come, we can't lose. [Wink]

You have so many excellent lessons amidst your pages. [Wink]

#72098 - 12/21/04 09:16 PM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
angelsmuse Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Please tell me we haven't finished discussing this book. I just got my copy yesterday and am hoping to get it started today between the baking writing and wrapping. I've read some of your comments and am anxious to get started.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Chris(angel)

#72099 - 12/23/04 12:41 AM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Dotsie Offline
Founder

CHris, Daphne is here through the first week in January. Don't worry. You have time. Enjoy her book. Be sure to do the pieces at the end of the chapters.

#72100 - 12/23/04 12:46 AM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Daphne, I enjoyed Chpater 11, Showing Up. I underlined most of the chapter.I wish you were in my prayer group. You'd fit right in. We often talk about finding balance and expectations...especially this time of year. [Big Grin]

#72101 - 12/25/04 07:32 PM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Daphne Offline

I'm very much here until January 6th, and I wouldn't miss this experience for the world. I hope all of you are having a merry Christmas--whatever that means for you this year. If you're fatigued or depressed or feeling lost, remember that the real Christmas happened in a stable in the cold. Find an hour or two to tuck yourself into your quiet space. Read some of your favorite poetry, or write in your journal. Light a candle for all those who are suffering of hunger or cold or violence or illness. Do it with the faith that, by finding a few moments to pray, you are tending the soul of the world.

Enjoy the day, and thanks for the blessing you are to me this year.

#72102 - 12/26/04 07:58 AM Re: Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. soulful midlife
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Hello Daphne,
I started medapause at 55 and been three years into it. Doing Ok , but this Christmas ahs been such a sad time for me . My mother in and nursing home in DE and brother alone in DE and not married and car broke down and can't get to see mother . He was always close to mother and that is Ok by me. now. I lost my dog this year my beloved Yorkie of 11 years last July and I had thyroid surgery . I fee overwhelmed at times can't even cry anymore . Just numb ... I have set goals for myself to write about my experince with my mother and her relatives and losing the POA in 1999 . Taking one day a week to volunteer at the office of Alzeimer's Assoc. Make sure I do more Temp Work. I think that about covers it. I wonder how can someone like me have so much problems with mothers relatives that hate my brother and me. They won't me out of mothers life . How do people like this sleep at night. ? Good question. I do hope I have not overwelmed you .

Again welcome to the boomersite .

Nancy of Maryland

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved