The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#71994 - 11/14/04 01:52 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
About those ISBNs:
This from my publisher, Star Publish (www.starpublish.com):

"Here is the starting point:
http://www.isbn-international.org/en/index.html

You buy in blocks of 10 or 100 and up. There is not in between from 10 to 100. A person cannot buy ONE ISBN. You have to live in the USA to get ISBN's."

This is one reason that it helps to have the help of a publisher like Star. Some authors just swallow the cost of the whole ten and hope some day they will have ten published. Some figure it is best to wait to go the traditional route because of this. Others find another author who has bought ten and buy one from him or her--sort of a cooperative effort.

Hope that helps! Anyone who is interested in talking to my STAR publisher, Margie Tovrea, may reach her at starpublish04-info@yahoo.com.

#71995 - 11/14/04 11:51 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Mixedmetaphors Offline

Loc: My Mountain
Sher
Wiping The Crazy Off My Face.com: To Carolyn
"However, other than having my work published for free (with a short bio and link to my site), I'm beginning to realize there just isn't a market for my work."
OH YES THERE IS! Find it. CREATE IT!
I visited your site today for the first time.
I don't lavish undo praise just to be "nice".
You are very good! Very Funny!! A skilled writer.
The "honesty" that comes across in your work
is most refreshing. You have a distinct "voice" and are completely at ease with it. The proper "tone".....the whole magilla. (note monkey reference)I finally left your site, because of the hour, after an hour. I will go back. Written humor that makes you laugh aloud is rare, (especially me laughing aloud) GET PAID FOR IT. I'll Buy, subscribe, recommend.
( I'm a writer too, (even taught a little)if that lends any credibility to my praise)
Your site is also very good! (don't want to go overboard here) . Hey, you been giving it away long enough.... pretty soon you'll be looking to buy it back. GO PRO [Wink] Get Paid.

#71996 - 11/14/04 04:35 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
To Carolyn,

Thanks for the advice. I have read so, so many articles about why writers should never, ever give away their work for free. Makes a person worry a little.

And to Mixed Metaphors,
Oh, my gosh. I don't know what to say. You've made me day!

#71997 - 11/14/04 05:29 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
and of course always remember what da Queen tells ya...Mr. Snowman began as a snowflake. And just what does that mean? Beats the H out of me...but I read it somewhere and thought it was sooo cool.

what?

JJ

#71998 - 11/14/04 05:38 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Claire Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Once, I mentioned on a writer's group that it might be okay to write for no monetary payment in exhange for publicity etc (and that way you get payment in another way) and it caused a torrent of upset for everyone and a huge debate! Maybe we should individually go with what we think feels right ourselves.
All the best
Claire

#71999 - 11/14/04 05:39 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Claire Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Writers' group! Silly me.
C

#72000 - 11/14/04 07:11 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wow, all kinds of little gems in here...even a contact for Carolyn's publisher! [Eek!]

I attended Baltimore's Writer's Conference yesterday. This sounds so elementary, but the big message was to finish your work and get it out there! You can't get published if you don't submit. You'd be surprised by the number of people who write, but don't promote.

I had to mention it here because Carolyn is our queen of Promotion and she's getting all of us on the right track. [Wink]

#72001 - 11/15/04 03:16 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
RE: ISBNs

it is possible to buy a single ISBN - but it is much more expensive. You don't have to live in the USA to get one! They are INTERNATIONAL STANDARD BOOK NUMBERS - they are just allocated by different agencies in different countries.

#72002 - 11/15/04 03:32 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
This is some support group--all kinds of really knowledgeable women. And Dotsie is right. You can't sell or even share much if you don't submit. And, absolutely correct, one submits according to one's consience. There are lots of reasons to submit "free." For one thing, it has a long tradition of being perfectly acceptable. Literary journals have worked this way for decades. And, from the standpoint of "gathering clips" for a beginner, or "generating exposure" for someone with a book to promote, it works. There are some ethical aspects to consider; some feel that if one author gives her work away, it takes the "food" out of the mouth of another who is trying to make a living. I understand this. It's just that I think the universe is very abundant and that there are enough opportunities for all. Realistically, many places that don't pay would close down if no-cost material were not available. Not all "publishers" are getting rich. So, the idea that each should decide for herself is perfect. Isn't that how all advice should work. Offer. Consider. Decide. Ha!

#72003 - 11/16/04 01:13 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I got an e-mail from Amazon today saying my book has been shipped. In the not so distant future I'm going to be holding THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER in my hot little hands.

Can you tell I'm eagerly awaiting it? I'm also eagerly awaiting Carolyn's sample media kit.

[ November 15, 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved