The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#72034 - 11/30/04 03:52 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cookie Queen...you da bomb. I haven't bought the book yet because I HAVE THE COMPUTER FROM HADEES...I may have a new computer in my near future. I have spent the last 36 hours trying to fix a damaged modem. UNCLE! I think I caught it from the other women here in the forum. We've had what? 3 people with problems here lately? So yes, I'm whining, but I'm also saying I've spent every waking hour on this @#$% computer.

I also have to buy a book today for a friend and get it in the mail so what better time to get yours? It IS at Books-A-Millon right? Or Barnes N Noble? I suppose if they don't have it, they can order it, or we can just buy it online? THAT IS...if we can get online? hahahah....

Enlighten me, keeper of the cookies....JJ

#72035 - 11/30/04 11:45 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Kristin Offline

You can also call 1-800-DIAL-A-BOOK and order directly!

quote:
Originally posted by jawjaw:
Cookie Queen...you da bomb. I haven't bought the book yet because I HAVE THE COMPUTER FROM HADEES...I may have a new computer in my near future. I have spent the last 36 hours trying to fix a damaged modem. UNCLE! I think I caught it from the other women here in the forum. We've had what? 3 people with problems here lately? So yes, I'm whining, but I'm also saying I've spent every waking hour on this @#$% computer.

I also have to buy a book today for a friend and get it in the mail so what better time to get yours? It IS at Books-A-Millon right? Or Barnes N Noble? I suppose if they don't have it, they can order it, or we can just buy it online? THAT IS...if we can get online? hahahah....

Enlighten me, keeper of the cookies....JJ

#72036 - 12/01/04 03:06 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Kristin asked about other authors' lack of support--or worse still the urge to "cut down" other authors. You know, though I'm not a psychologist, this is the subject that I explored in my first two books, THIS IS THE PLACE, and HARKENING. So, I could write another book on it. But I believe it is a poor self-image. That is related to a lack of spirituality. Like maybe these people never hear of Karma or the Judeo-Christian philosophy of doing to others as....
I try to have compassion for authors or anyone else of this mindset because they are missing so much. I can tell that you're hurting, Kristin. There is no point in telling you not to worry about it. But it is true--and we both know it--that there are so many more giving women and authors out there with heart than without.
Stiff upper lip, girl!

#72037 - 12/01/04 03:08 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

See, we find two supportive women for Kristin (like Dots and Jaw Jaw) and probably a whole lot more more for every one who isn't. Yeah!! Boomer women. Seems you're in the right place now, Kristin.

#72038 - 12/01/04 03:58 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Carolyn,
I just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed your posts. Am learning a lot Thanks.
Kristin this is the place for you believe me these gals are the nicest and helpful.
They let me hang out in here mostly in the crafts dept.
Maggie

#72039 - 12/02/04 03:11 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for taking the time to be with us. I appreciate your help and look forward to reading your book very soon.

We hear a lot these days about the Print on Demand shops that are cropping up around the country and how that's an avenue for new authors since the publishing world is so innundated with people who want to get published. I'm curious if you have any insight into how POD books are really perceived by book store managers and others "in the know" in the publishing world. I once had a book store manager tell me that she would not allow POD authors to hold signings in her store. There still seems to be so much stigma around POD/self-publishing even though all of us can think of examples of wonderful authors who had to get their start that way, and some of the POD companies boast that many of their authors ink traditional contracts after their POD book has sold X number of copies.

Thanks in advance for your comments, and continued succcess with all your endeavors.

Best regards,
Kelly

#72040 - 12/02/04 09:08 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Kristin Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn Howard-Johnson:
Kristin asked about other authors' lack of support--or worse still the urge to "cut down" other authors. You know, though I'm not a psychologist, this is the subject that I explored in my first two books, THIS IS THE PLACE, and HARKENING. So, I could write another book on it. But I believe it is a poor self-image. That is related to a lack of spirituality. Like maybe these people never hear of Karma or the Judeo-Christian philosophy of doing to others as....
I try to have compassion for authors or anyone else of this mindset because they are missing so much. I can tell that you're hurting, Kristin. There is no point in telling you not to worry about it. But it is true--and we both know it--that there are so many more giving women and authors out there with heart than without.
Stiff upper lip, girl!

Stiff as frosted cookies! I know that there are wonderful supportive women, especially on this board! Love and cookies to you all!

#72041 - 12/02/04 10:50 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Kelly asked, "I'm curious if you have any insight into how POD books are really perceived by book store managers and others "in the know" in the publishing world. I once had a book store manager tell me that she would not allow POD authors to hold signings in her store.

Isn't this realted to prejudice in general. People are judged by their weight, their color, their relgion, whether or not they smoke. Books are judge by their cover, the press they are printed on and if a typo is found within its pages.
As the major publishers use POD presses--and they are doing that more and more,by the way--there will be less prejudice about them. And POD should not be confused with subsidy publish. Everyone is doing that. POD just means the book is printed on a press that doesn't require miniumum runs to make them profitable. So, on a POD press, a printer can run off one copy or thousands.

Now, about those bookstores. There is a wonderful book out (Google it!) called Bookstores are the the best Place to Sell Books or something like that. It is right on. Bookstores insist on the right to return books (one of the beefs they have with POD presses is this returbable issue). Bookstores don't pay freight. Bookstores have so much compeition for each book within their walls that your book may not even be seen. Enter (sorry about this) THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER that teaches authors not only how to promote but talks about other places and ways to SELL books. I've yet to figure out why authors are so eager to prostrate themselve for a horribly unsatisfying book signing or placement of their books! There are many small bookstores that WANT you and will promote the heck out of you. Also think about catalog sales, corporate sales, coffeeshop and other retail sales, selling online, etc. etc. Details are in FRUGAL, Boomers. We shouldn't sit and take bad treatment from our publisher, our publicist or bookstores. We can take our own future (and that of our book)into our own hands.

Whew! What a soapbox!!

You guys! I will be in Palm Springs this week. I'll check back and answer questions when I get back on Dec. 6th. Dotsie may be kicking me off then but I'll try to make up for the lost days, if she'll let me.

Love,

#72042 - 12/04/04 12:00 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Hey everybody, Carolyn is featured at Writers Crossing today.

Love the picture!

#72043 - 12/05/04 08:48 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out for us Dian.

Ladies, we're winding down with Carolyn today. Any last minute questions on promoting your books?

If you haven't bougth her book yet...do it now so you can get the free media kit offer! It ends today.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved