The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71247 - 12/13/05 08:54 AM Burst bubble
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Ok, as many of you know, DH and I "threw" a private baby shower for his daughter and her DH. Since I never had my own, it's been difficult for me to attend ANY baby shower in many, many years. So THIS was a huge step for me.

A few weeks ago, I sent out an email to close family/friends announcing this shower. I feel I've taken great strides in healing thru childlessness and this was something that I felt excited about. After all, wouldn't any mother be excited and throw a shower??

The email simply asked if anyone wanted to send a card of something. I did NOT solicit gifts, but my family is just a giving kind of people. Well, after DSD and her DH left, I received a couple of gifts: a check from my 1st cousin once removed; a gift cert. from my sister and a gift from a friend.

NOW, DSD has asked me to not have people send gifts because "they don't even know us" and they'd prefer them saving their money for their own families. I'm hurt. However, I've discussed this with DH and he will talk to his DD.

This shows me that, even though we "CNBC'ers" (childless not by choicers) mean well, we are still misunderstood. No bad feelings here, but I really am excited about this no. 1, because this is the ONLY daughter I'll ever have; no 2, because I'm excited about being a grandma-to-be and never had kids; no. 3, this is healing for me, yet I'm being stifled.

I also realized that they do not understand the depth of a loss such as childlessness and really only see this as people giving money to them, even though they do not need it. I'd like for them to see this as "gifts from the heart", because, and not to sound haughty, these people love ME and know the kind of heartache childlessness has been.

DH understands and has been educate by me enough. So I've asked him for some advice. He says he'll write to her to convey what she needs to hear. He's wonderful!

[ December 13, 2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Di ]

#71248 - 12/13/05 05:29 PM Re: Burst bubble
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Oh,DI
You are aloving woman and be proud of yourself fpr getting beyond your own pain to open your heart
Step- parenting is hard- my husband has three children and we have been married for almost 14 years but it took the birth of his oldest daughter's first child for me to be accepted as family- there is hope- keep giving love- I truly believe what you give returns to you
Bright blessings
Pattyann

#71249 - 12/13/05 06:02 PM Re: Burst bubble
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Di I wish I had been blessed with a Mother-in-law like you... JJ

#71250 - 12/13/05 07:06 PM Re: Burst bubble
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, you are also a great communicator. That is what is at the root of the best marriages. I'm glad your hubby came around.

#71251 - 12/13/05 07:08 PM Re: Burst bubble
Di Offline

Thanks you guys. Funny thing is........I have already been accepted. DH wrote to his DD and simply told that it is the language of love.

Many years ago when I first accepted Christ as Savior, the first place He hit me was in my giving. I was a very selfish person. Now that I've been able to GIVE, sometimes it gets stifled. I hope to convey this to them some day.

Thanks, JJ. Actually, I'm her stepmother!! However, I guess I am a mother-in-law, too...to her DH!!

#71252 - 12/14/05 08:21 AM Re: Burst bubble
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Of course... in my haste to send a cyber warm fuzzy, I wrote MIL...Duh...I can be so blonde sometimes.

JJ

#71253 - 12/14/05 08:47 AM Re: Burst bubble
Di Offline

Oh no....no biggy.

DSD wrote back to say how hard it is to accept things (other than cards) from family, let alone from people who do not know them.

But even God, "who so loved the WORLD" went beyond His local family/friends. He could have said "For God so loved Israel(only)"....

Love has no boundaries. Love is kind. I think they will realize that when they are parents themselves.

My hope is that they are learning something from my family's giving....and from me. I want to be used of God and what better way than by way of love?

#71254 - 12/14/05 02:03 AM Re: Burst bubble
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have a deep feeling in my heart that this will all work out for you Di and that it is happening even now, slow but sure. Just remain on your course of kindness and understanding and all will be fine in time....Learn to love and accept the new baby when it arrives as you might have loved your own. The child is guiltless in all this and will love you unconditionally as Grandma, which is not a bad thing to be, right all you Grandma's out there?

#71255 - 12/14/05 03:13 AM Re: Burst bubble
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
For 100% sure Chatty. I love my grandkids so much. They melt the heart. Di, you're gonna be a great grammy!

#71256 - 12/16/05 08:44 AM Re: Burst bubble
Di Offline

Well, this has gone a bit too far. DSD how has asked DH if my feelings are hurt.

I just don't know what to do. To me, I think it's the heart of the receiver that is having difficulty. Why is this making me upset when I feel like I'm doing my best?

Maybe, (thinking aloud) my "motive" is to help ME do my best to help in my childlessness affliction by giving to that one thing that saddens me: a pregnant woman. She will have what I will never have. So, I am trying (for me) to over compensate. But DSD does not how to receive and really does not KNOW what my feelings behind it are.

Does this make sense to anyone? I'm a mess right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved