The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#71104 - 07/24/05 02:51 AM Step-grandparenting??
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I wasn't sure where to put this announcement so I'll put it here.

My stepson and his wife had a baby girl this week. I guess that makes me a step-grandmother. Is there such a word? Her name is Elizabeth Grace. They are calling her Libby. She's a first grandchild all around.
Louisa

#71105 - 07/24/05 03:47 AM Re: Step-grandparenting??
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Congratulations! Of course there's such a thing as step-grandmother! I'm one too. Hubby's son's daughter is my step-granddaughter. From the very beginning I've tried to step back and not intrude on the real grandmother's time and rightful place with her granddaughter. I didn't even take the title of grandmother, so the GD (now four) has always called me Sharon.

But despite all efforts to keep a low profile with her, the GD and I have turned out to be kindred spirits and best friends. Our heart-connection is so strong it baffles even me, because I've never even tried to foster that deep of a relationship. But there's no doubt that I love her as if she was my own, and she knows it. A few weeks ago I really "got" how deep that connection is, when she was talking about her two other grandmothers (her Mom's mother in Beijing, and her Dad's mother in Quebec). She referred to them, not as "grandmothers", but as her other "Sharons", using the word "Sharon" in place of the word "grandmother". While it warmed my heart, I genuinely hope she doesn't do that in front of the Quebec Grandmother!

#71106 - 07/24/05 07:13 AM Re: Step-grandparenting??
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Eagle, that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.
Louisa

#71107 - 07/24/05 06:17 PM Re: Step-grandparenting??
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
My ex had a son who was my stepson. Even though his dad and I were divorced, my ex-stepson and I still have a relationship. His kids call me Nonny.

#71108 - 07/25/05 07:41 AM Re: Step-grandparenting??
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Louisa, congratulations, you just don't know the life thrills Libby will bring you! Eagle tell us more about the Quebec Grand-ma. (chuckle)

Same here DJ. My ex's son - my(step)son turned 29 on Friday past. I raised him since he was five. We have never used the word step, oddly enough. I signed his birthday card - All my Love forever, Mom. His first child, a son, will be born soon and I will be Nanny Ang.
He has lived next door to his bio Mom for almost 10 years now. I am very happy that they got this chance to be Mother and Son again. I am so proud of him, he turned out to be a very responsible and loving young man.

chick

#71109 - 07/25/05 07:47 AM Re: Step-grandparenting??
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
My stepkids and my kids all call us grandma and grandpa. I would lay odds that no one could tell whose kids were mine and whose are Steves if we were all together.

#71110 - 08/03/05 05:55 AM Re: Step-grandparenting??
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Heart:

Our heart-connection is so strong it baffles even me, because I've never even tried to foster that deep of a relationship. But there's no doubt She referred to them, not as "grandmothers", but as her other "Sharons", using the word "Sharon" in place of the word "grandmother".

\

Eagle, I really can't tell you how much this means to me. I'm going through some "step" adjustments of my own trying to figure out where I fit and this has really made me smile. It's really awesome when God uses something like a name that is said to mean "princess" to describe something wonderful as grandparenting.

#71111 - 08/17/05 07:41 AM Re: Step-grandparenting??
Debs Offline

Loc: UK
Ya know. Its so nice to see something so good come of stepparenting. I wish my relationship with my steps was like yours. Unfortunatly I feel its too late now. Well done to you all for doing such a great job.

#71112 - 09/29/05 01:50 AM Re: Step-grandparenting??
jwf213 Offline

Loc: new york
I have 4 steps and 2 naturals. My husband and I have raised this family for the last 15 years. The kids range in age from 25 to 19. I have always called all ofthem "my" children as has my husband. And, although I am a stepmom (there is a live mom), I will be a grandma to all the grandchildren. The 'step' is truly unnecessary when it comes to grandchildren, to them you are just another grandma!
Enjoy!!!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved