The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#70653 - 04/17/06 10:52 PM ex boyfriend, SO much pain
lamartine Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
for two weeks, i have had no contact with my ex-boyfriend of a little over six months. we broke up six weeks ago.

until two wednesdays ago, he was still calling and text messaging every day. he admitted that he still likes me but thought that it would be "too confusing" for us to get together. finally, he agreed to come to my city (an hour and a half from him) to see me last wednesday night. he tried to back out on wednesday morning, but i got really mad at him. i hadn't seen him in five weeks, and i had planned this in advance, scheduled my week around it, and been looking forward to it. he tried to back out, i kid you not, because he had to make a phone call about a loan. as if the hour and a half train ride wouldn't have given him ample time to do that.

he got here, and he took me out for a lovely dinner. he then took me to another restaurant for dessert. he paid for everything and was clearly enjoying himself. we talked, and i felt serious sparks like at the beginning. everything was going well, and i though we would get back together, so i let him spend the night at my house. the chemistry was completely still there, and i made the huge mistake of sleeping with him.

the next morning, i was driving him to the train, and i asked him if he was going to disappear for another five weeks. he said he didn't know. we broke up because of a fight we had on a ski trip in february, and i told him i thought it was time to get over the ski trip, that people fight, etc. he told me it wasn't the ski trip that concerned him but the fact that "we still have conversations like this." in the end, i told him if we were going to be hooking up, i wanted to see him again in the near future. he asked when, and i said before easter. he said "how about we see each other after easter?" and told me that i just couldn't live with uncertainty, that his whole life was uncertainty, and that he wasn't ready to get back together right now. i closed his door and drove away in tears.

i blocked him from computer messaging, and he hasn't called, but i can't help but be really hurt by all of this. it's all very hard, and i think it is unfair for him to have dragged me into his confusion. is no contact the right thing to do?

he has said some really cruel things to me. when we first broke up, he told me that he saw some things in my personality that he didn't like and that he was "very picky about personalities." on this particular day, he told me that i brought the whole break up on myself. i wasn't myself on the trip that caused the breakup, and we had three days that were less than perfect. but it kills me that he can disregard six great months in which i was nothing but wonderful to him and draw conclusions about my "personality" based on three days.

i know that i guilt tripped him into coming, and i accept most of the responsibility for the pain i am feeling about this particular encounter. but it doesn't alleviate the anger i feel towards him. i feel mistreated and deceived, n ot just because of this one night but because he took all of the good times i had to offer and threw me away at the first sign of imperfection.

this has been the worst break up i have every gone through, and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. is this normal behavior? i am terrified that i won't find anyone like him again.

#70654 - 04/18/06 02:20 AM Re: ex boyfriend, SO much pain
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Lamartine do you mind if I ask how old you are and what kind of Attorney? The reason for my inquiry is that I truly believe the answers you seek would be different with regard to your age.
I would say one thing however to you no matter what your age and that is that young people today and some of those 'newly single' jump into a relationship with both feet (bed too) before really getting to know one another and six months is NOT long enough for that to happen. In your case you nagged him into this visit and because he was cordial through dinner once again it ended up in bed and that was apparently before you had a chance to really discuss the break up and loss of contact and what he deemed the problem was. It is clear to me that this man does not want a heavy relationship/love right now but wouldn't turn down a roll in the hay. My dear, you are okay to feel used but it sounds to me like both your priorties weren't the same going into this relationship. He wanted fun and games and you were looking for love. My advice is caution, go slowly, get to know a mans heart, make them earn their roll in the hay but only after you're sure they love you. AND never settle, men come and they go and more will come so be choosy and be wise and then and only then will you be less likely to be in pain. I'm sorry for your pain and hope it passes soon and you can move on to a man who will love and respect you....but first you must respect yourself.

#70655 - 04/18/06 04:52 AM Re: ex boyfriend, SO much pain
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
lamartine, welcome to BWS! I hope you'll stick around and share in other forums too.

The most hurtful situations involve two people who have different motives for dating. You're looking for long-term. He's looking for short. HOnestly, I hope he doesn't contact you because I'm afraid you'll see him again and I don't think you should. He does not have YOUR best interest at heart.

What makes you attracted to him? Just wondering.

People who are in love with you shouldn't say really cruel things to you, make you feel mistreated or deceived, or sleep and run.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but by reading your post...you seem to already have this figured out.

Come here and post when you feel lonely. We'll help you get through this.

#70656 - 04/21/06 02:39 AM Re: ex boyfriend, SO much pain
lamartine Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
well, i have an update. last night J called me. He called from a new cell phone number with an area code that i didn't recognize, and so i answered. at first, we just caught up a little. but, after everything that has happened recently, i have grown very angry. i told him that the things he said about my personality and character were so unfair and hurtful and that i replay them every day in my head. he apologized and said that he didn't mean it and was grasping for things to say because he just didn't feel that he could be in a relationship. he said he didn't want a serious relationship right now. he said that there comes a point when you have to decide whether you would rather have a person you care about in your life and have to put forth the effort to have a relationship or risk losing the person and leave. he said he didn't want to lose me from his life. he also told me he felt trapped and felt that if we were going to continue in a relationship, he would have to step it up. he said that he was worried about what he would have to give up if he were in a relationship (although he couldn't think of anything).

he also said--and this stung--that he thinks about calling me and getting back together about twice a week but that he can't do it because i make him have "these intense conversations." he said he is worried about hurting me again. he also said he wants to date other people. i told him i can't stop him but that i can't be friends with him if he does because it will hurt me too much. then i said: J, don't you think this will just happen again? you are worried about hurting me but not them? and he said: i care about you, and i don't want to hurt you, but i don't care about them. he was upset that i made him have this conversation, but i was so hurt, and i didn't see how i could go on having any relationship--friendship or more--without working through this.

also, he told me that he was worried because he wasn't 100 percent happy all the time in our relationship, and he feels like he should be looking for his soul mate, someone who fits him perfectly. i asked him if he was happy with other women. he said yes, he was happy with his ex, but when she moved to be with him, she was too available to him and he didn't want her anymore.

finally, he told me that the last couple of months of our relationship were "brilliant" but that i was doing all of the giving, and that we couldn't have a relationship like that.

y'all, wow. i am glad he admitted some culpability here. but it doesn't help with the fact that i love him and miss him so much. i have never loved anyone like i love him. does anyone think there is any hope here?

#70657 - 04/21/06 08:32 PM Re: ex boyfriend, SO much pain
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Frankly? No, I think the only thing here is lots of ups, downs and pain. What I am hearing is that YOU are to blame for everything. It's your problem, not his, is what he is telling you. Reread your posts and see if you can pick that up. He's telling you that if he's in a relationship with you, he doesn't want you to be yourself. (have intense conversations, for example)

Chatty and Dotsie have wise advice. Here's my two cents -- take what you like and leave the rest.

You say you are replaying the tapes of what he says. While this is normal, you might ask yourself a few questions. First, is what he said true? Is it really true? If so, what do you want to do about it that doesn't involve him?

Second, try to live in the right now. Whenever you feel those tapes start, look around you for the good and beauty that you have in your life at that moment.

In order to be in a healthy relationship, one that can last our lifetimes, we know and love who we truly are first. That way, when someone tells us we are the problem in a relationship, we can look at them in the clear light of day and say, "pshaw!" (or something stronger -- LOL!)

When you say you "love" him, what does that mean? What do you love about a man who treats you this way?
Peace,

#70658 - 04/21/06 09:02 PM Re: ex boyfriend, SO much pain
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
lamartine, when you are with your Mr. Right, you won't have to worry, guess, and feel heart-broken all the time. A good relationship is about compromise, but it shouldn't be all on one person. You deserve a real man who is capable of making a committment and not this boy. This guy is telling you he's not capable of a relationship. Cut your losses and move on, heal and be ready when the real deal comes along.

Daisygirl

#70659 - 04/21/06 10:18 PM Re: ex boyfriend, SO much pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

lamartine,

Please do not accept his phone calls any more -- if he honestly and whole heartedly wants to get back together w/ you and work on an altruistic relationship, let him do the work through his actions, not his words. Thus, you can have the time to heal and move forward towards a happier relationship with someone else if he does not take appropriate actions. He simply does not wany anyone else to have you, don't be his bandaid. Move forward.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved