The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 198 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69520 - 01/09/05 06:18 AM I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
jenniemouse Offline

Loc: California
This morning, the man I was dating for almost seven months called me and said that our relationship had gone as far as it could, and he did not want it to go any further. I was heartbroken. He was so kind to me in the beginning, and we had much in common. I felt very lucky to find him.

I did sense he was backing away from me in the past month -- not being as affectionate as he was before, not calling me by my endearing nickname -- but I wanted to believe that he was just worried about his job.

I feel sad not just for himself, but for him. I did everything I could to be a good girlfriend -- I was always supportive, never critical, made it a point to respect his interests, and did not care that he leased a BMW. I am afraid that he won't find someone similar in superficial Newport Beach. I also worry that I will be vulnerable to guys who may not be as nice.

He does want to come by and see me for lunch tomorrow. I wonder what else he will say.

I have been crying off and on all day. Thanks for "listening".

#69521 - 01/09/05 06:40 AM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
If you see him for lunch at all, somehow put on a face that says you are looking forward to the next episode of your life, be it solo or with one of the many who are pursuing you. If no one is pursing you go out and be pursued. Then decide for yourself if you want to risk going through this again. Either way you have a whole lot to look forward to and you should show it.
Don't ever let him see you sweat.
I'll say a prayer for your strength and well being.
smile

#69522 - 01/09/05 08:31 AM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
First of all, don't feel sorry for him. He won't find anyone worthwhile in plastic-surgery-du-moment Newport Beach? Pardon me while my heart doesn't break. He's a big boy and can take care of himself.

As for you, Jenny, being vulnerable to guys not as nice --- WHY WOULD YOU??? You are not a quart of milk with an expiration date. You don't have to put up with garbage because it comes with a jock strap.

I'm sorry that this relationship didn't work out, because it does sound like it was good while it lasted. For whatever reason, he feels he needs to move on. Mourn the loss, and then heal. Don't blame yourself. Sometimes we're the best we can be, but the other person is looking for something that is not us.

Understand your worth. Don't rush into the arms of the first non-serial-killer male-with-a-pulse who seems remotely interested.

#69523 - 01/09/05 07:23 PM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Jennie,

Meredith always shoots straight an it may not be what we want to hear but it is usaully what we need to hear.

In this case, I thinkyou need to hear it.

You state you are grieving, normal reaction to the situation but then you feel sorry for HIM? Because he may not find anyone as nice as you?

He probably won't but that is his life and he made it perfectly clear that it is NOT GOING TO BE YOUR LIFE.

Grieve a bit, lick your wounds and move on. Also look into why you feel sorry for him.

Lynn

#69524 - 01/10/05 08:02 AM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
jenniemouse Offline

Dear Smilinize, Meredith, and Lynn,

Thank you for your kind words. I think I feel sorry for him because in spite of it all, he *is* a good person who says he isn't into the bar scene, his heart is in the right place when it comes to national world affairs, and he said that he would fight anyone who would hurt me. Even yesterday.

But then I remember that he blew off my mom's 65th birthday party to go to Las Vegas with his brother, which he could have done any weekend, his habit of playing video pinball while I patienly waited for him, the fact that he asked me to buy Christmas gifts for his parents while never volunteering to do anything for my mom, and I have to wonder that perhaps he has a few things to learn about love, too.

#69525 - 01/10/05 08:51 AM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Gosh, he sounds kind of selfish and immature. Maybe you focused on what you wanted...his good qualities while completely ignoring the bad ones. Pinball while you waited? Hmmm

I know your heart is broken but I sure wouldn't let him see it or know it. I'd treat him like a worn out old shoe if you do meet him for lunch. What does he want to do...stick the knife in deeper or what?

If a guy can't treat your mom with love and respect...dump him back!

#69526 - 01/09/05 09:21 PM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Jennie, I'm going to be very FRANK. So if you only want to hear nice things about this man, don't read further.

You say you feel sorry for him because 'despite it all, he *is* a good person" then you go on to elaborate on all the ways he proves himself not to be a good person.
Is "saying" he's not into the bar scene proof that he's a good person? I think not. Lots of men say that, especially if it will get them into your life and into your bed. Also if they don't want to spend the cash to take you to a nice club and ply you with drinks or believe you are morally opposed to it or whatever works.
As to his thinking about national and world affairs, we all believe our way of thinking is right and at least half the U.S. population will agree with us at any one time. The other half, if they are male, will at least 'say' they agree with us if it is what they think we want to hear and it will get them into our good graces.
As to fighting anyone to protect you, all men like to see themselves as the hero saving the damsel in distress and they love proclaiming their manhood. Also they know it endears them to us. However, at this point the person he needs to protect you from may be himself.
I wouldn't be too concerned about him skipping out on your Mother's 65th birthday to go to Vegas. Shucks, I might do that myself.
However, his playing pinball while you wait is flat out rude and shows a total disregard for your feelings. If pinball is more important to him than you are, "He's just not that into you." I would have had such a tantrum he would be terrified of being burned alive if he ever touched a pinball game again. (Of course I talk bigger than I act, but I do believe in periodic tantrums to clear the air and sometimes just to get my way-Hey I'm a girl-well an old one anyway-and that means I got the right!)
And conning you into buying gifts for his family only proves he is a 'good' person as long as someone else is paying the bill. It also proves that he is willing to use your good will to make an impression on others who he may care more about.

Sounds like him being a *Good* person is evident only in what he "says" and not in what he does.
Why do we make excuses for these guys? And it doesn't matter how *good* he is or what kindness he is capable of. What matters is what he actually does and more importantly how he treats YOU.
You will be fine alone and if you truly need a man in your life, someone will come along who is into you and will show it, not just say it.
If he wants out, maybe it's just a whim, but for heaven's sake let him go. And never let him back into your life until he puts action to his words and treats you like the beautiful princess you are.
smile

#69527 - 01/10/05 02:37 AM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All of the above advice is excellent. Why is it when we are "in love" and I use this term loosley, we can't see the bad in our partner that anyone else can see??? It is a curse and seems to be indicative of women honestly seeing men. I am a firm believer in the old saying:
A person is treated the way they allow themselves to be treated!!!
Wake up, smell the flowers and move on...Its this slugs loss, not yours. [Roll Eyes]

#69528 - 01/10/05 04:35 AM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
jenniemouse Offline

He invited me to lunch today. I accepted the invitation, because it was important for me to listen to what he had to say in person.

I felt he was truly contrite about hurting me. He had tears in his eyes as he told me I was the "nicest, sweetest" person he ever dated, but it was not enough to make a great marriage. I believe him, and no longer feel angry at him. I am glad that he was honest with me. I hope that we will become friends in the future.

I will still be sad about this for a long time, but I will no longer feel that I was "kicked to the curb", so to speak.

Thanks for "listening"!

P.S. As for the video pinball, I guess boys will have to be boys sometimes (he was a little younger than me). It wasn't *that* big of a problem. Maybe I made it seem so because I was sad and mad.

#69529 - 01/10/05 10:06 AM Re: I have had the rug pulled out from under me...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Jenny, I'm happy that you had the opportunity to put some closure to your relationship vs. strictly listening to the great advice you solicited here.

Do you really feel better now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved