The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#68614 - 01/17/06 10:39 PM Bad Dog!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey ya’ll, my Australian Sheppard has been really mischievous lately! I began night school again last week (one night a week) and have been studying. On weekends we usually have our long walks off the leash on an old country dirt road. This weekend, I was at the library writing a paper.

When I returned home from work last night at the normal time my dog had gone into the office and retrieved a disk enclosed in its case from a file laying on the file cabinet and chewed through the case! Now, that’s a lot of effort for him as he is usually a couch potato. Also, he chewed through a book I borrowed from the library which had been laying on my nightstand for about a week!

Ironically, the book is written by Dr. Laura Schlessinger and titled “Bad Childhood, Good Life”! Hmmm, there must be some deep issues!

I wonder if this is separation anxiety? Is he trying to tell me something?

In the past he does like to nose his way through the trash, I alleviated that issue by placing the trash under the kitchen cabinet and closing bathroom doors while away. But, he seems to remind me somewhat of my ex-husband in that he rummages through my book bag and retrieving items. Yet, my dog chews hand lotions, combs, chapstick, etc.

I’ve arranged for a dog walker on school nights and need to purchase a new computer, so I’ll be able to spend more time at home with the dog rather than leaving him at home while I’m at the library. Also, I should set aside 15 minutes a day play time so he knows I care – going back to school for my Masters is taking its toll on my animal "family"!

Wonder if there is anything else helpful?

#68615 - 01/17/06 10:57 PM Re: Bad Dog!
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mustang, it sounds to like he's just bored. I crate Daisy when I'm gone, but I give her a bone or Kong filled with peanut butter and sometimes left-over meat or kibble. I also leave the radio on for her. That keeps her busy for a while, then she sleeps the rest of the time.

I get my bones from the butcher shop and boil them before I give them to her. After she's finished, I still use them to fill with pbutter and freeze so it will take longer to finish.

Daisygirl

#68616 - 01/17/06 10:59 PM Re: Bad Dog!
ladybug Offline

I think you already know that he's trying to get your attention. He's telling you he doesn't like the absences.

Besides, chewing all that stuff is fun mom!

#68617 - 01/18/06 01:11 AM Re: Bad Dog!
Daisygirl Offline

Mustang, how old is your dog? The younger they are, the more exercise they need. Maybe you could get up early and take him for a long walk before you go to work. "A tired dog is a good dog."

I take Daisy to the dog park so she can expend some of her energy. Usually, it's in the evening, but it does help the next day also.

Daisygirl

#68618 - 01/18/06 01:30 AM Re: Bad Dog!
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Mustang,
My cousin has a dog who if they don't take her for a walk before they leave will take something off the
counters and bury it in the back yard. She has even buried nice dishes with things in them.
My favorite question is what are you hunting for this time.
We met them this weekend. They took her for her walk before we met so she wouldn't bury anything. She loves attention and is a huge dog not a puppy.
Maggie

#68619 - 01/18/06 01:38 AM Re: Bad Dog!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I adopted Blue in Feb '04 when he was 4 or 4.5 years old and crated him the 1st year when away from home. The last 4 mths of the 1st year I began to gradually leave him out of the crate while on short trips, thus we learned trust.

He has plenty of toys and bones! He gets a new one monthly! The vet says he has the cleanest teeth!

I'll need to set aside that mom and dog time!

#68620 - 01/18/06 01:39 AM Re: Bad Dog!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, we walk at least .60 mile each morning and evening, and on the weekends at least 5 miles total.

#68621 - 01/18/06 02:25 AM Re: Bad Dog!
Daisygirl Offline

Well, you'd think that would wear him out a little! But an Australian Shephard probably was bred to have a lot of stamina and run the fields all day, like my Daisy. She can run soooo fast! I'm fortunate that she's isn't hyper like some other Weims.

#68622 - 01/18/06 03:51 AM Re: Bad Dog!
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
These dogs are very intelligent and have to have a JOB. Is it possible for you to enroll her in some agility training classes? The problem is that she's probably getting bored out of her gourd. She probably needs more than 15 mins a day of exercise. She needs something to stimulate her brain. I know, I have one myself. Destroys the place if she doesn't get hours of exercise and stimulation daily.

Contact a reputable rescuer in your area and find out if they can refer you to a good trainer. Also look into agility classes is my suggestion.

Kelly

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved