The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#68145 - 10/06/05 01:34 AM Furniture
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Australian Sheppard and a kitty, both of which shed, also the kitty likes to claw furniture. My couch is going on 13 years and I've had it recovered 1X w/ same fabric, which is no longer in production. My friend (w/ 5 cats) states that some chenille fabric deters cats from clawing (or that it is not noticeable). Do any of ya'll know if there is any truth to this?

I'd love a new sofa, yet even if it were true w/ regard to chenille fabric, I'm certain the pet hair would show (at least for my color scheme).

Thus, I wonder if there is any type of leather that would deter scratches? Leather is easy to clean off the animal hair!

My cat is 13 and will not use a scratching post and my dog sheds all year long, regardless of baths and brushing. If ya'll gals know of any other remedies, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks gals [Razz]

#68146 - 10/06/05 03:06 AM Re: Furniture
karenelaine1977 Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Hey, MustangGal! Have you thought about just using slip covers? That would save you the price of a new couch, but you'd be able to wash it, too.

#68147 - 10/06/05 04:55 AM Re: Furniture
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mustang I throw slip covers over my furniture all week long that are easy to wash and cover so to speak but if I am having guests that day or evening I uncover the couch and loveseat and allow my Italian leather to be seen. This seems to work and I put my animals on the enclosed porch when company comes....You can also buy tiny little plastic nail covers that slip over cats claws so if and when they scratch nothing gets harmed, these work and stay on well and come in clear or bright colors. Would you agree that declawing a cat is barbaric...?

[ October 05, 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68148 - 10/06/05 03:43 PM Re: Furniture
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
There's also a product called "Stickypaws" which is, essentially, like double-sided tape, that you can stick on the areas of furniture that your cat likes to claw...they don't exactly ENJOY touching the sticky surface and in very short order will leave the furniture alone. We tried this "peel and stick" product (available in regular pet stores) with our last two cats and they learned to go elsewhere for scratching and have left the arms and legs of my furniture alone since!

Chatty's suggestion of nail covers works well too - I know a few people who use those.

#68149 - 10/07/05 02:34 AM Re: Furniture
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Pam I had forgotten about the sticky tape idea and that does work well but MG make sure you have another surface for them to scratch on like a scratching post. They will begin to look only to the post to scratch on after awhile. I am fostering six little kittys right now myself and they are such fun to watch.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved