The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 113 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#68010 - 07/31/05 11:33 PM Our Pets' Food...
BoomBoom Offline

Due to news reports about Mad Cow Disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) which stated that animal parts and byproducts unfit for human consumption is often sent to pet food factories, I decided to do some research on pet food.

"Animal byproducts" unfit for human consumption include dead, diseased, and decaying animals (even roadkill) which end up in well recognized brand name pet foods.

I learned that many dogs are allergic to corn products.

I feed Little Buddy "Authority" brand dog food found at PetSmart as well as their own brand "Great Choice" biscuit treats. Those labels are reassuring to me. I supplement Buddy's diet carefully with people food like roast beef, chicken, apples, green beans, carrots, and a little cheese. I learned that people foods, such as chocolate, raisins, grapes, garlic, and onions, are poisonous to dogs and cats. I have noticed that Buddy gets flatulence from eggs and cheese. [Razz] Whew!

When I was growing up, our outdoors dogs just ate table scraps and caught rabbits and squirrels occasionally. I did not look upon dogs as family members until my senior years. Now, I would like to see pets be income tax deductions just like children! [Big Grin]

Regards,
BoomBoom

[ July 31, 2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: BoomBoom ]

#68011 - 08/01/05 12:50 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Oh Boom Boom, your posts are so great! I agree with the income tax deductions! I have two West Highland White Terriers, who were made for us and each other. My husband and dogs and I sleep on the bed in a pile. Sometimes methinks me luvs me doggies waaaaay toooo much! I think one of my first posts here last November was: is it possible to love our pets too much? I am frustrated by trying to find flea control, shampoo, and heart worm meds at a reasonable costs. I went to PetsMart.com based on Chatty's recommendations and they don't have the Allergroom shampoo my little angels need. I think the vet upcharges too much. I buy Purina brand dog food Sams. Of course I couldn't do that if I was single and when I get old because how could I possibly lug 50 pounds of dog chow up 3 flights of stairs to our apartment? I can't imagine what the sulphur smell of flatulence from Buddy's egg consumption must be like! Phew! LLL

#68012 - 08/01/05 01:31 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
BoomBoom Offline

Well, Lynn, I discovered what true love was when I went to live with my son and daughter-in-law in 2003.

Knowing that I had never allowed dogs and cats in the house when he was growing up, Son firmly announced to me "My dog is staying in the house!"

I told him that if his dog, Job, aggravated me, I would just go to my room and shut the door. It didn't take long before Job was lying beside me on my bed! I learned doggie communication signals for needing to potty, going to bed, and wanting to be "koochy-kooed" among other things. I found sites on the internet with lots of doggie information. I obtained a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training".

Best of all, I take Buddy to classes at PetSmart, and we shop there. I have just accepted that the flea and heart control medicine, shots, leashes and collars, and other things Buddy needs are going to be hard on my budget. I am thrifty, however, and we squeak by. Soon, I will feel comfortable enough to bathe Buddy and clip his nails.

Our local PetSmart shop is getting a vet to move onto the premises very soon. They already have a Beauty Shop for Pets. [Smile]

BTW, Son now has three dogs, and I usually babysit them while he and his wife are away. (We don't want our pets to be little latchkey doggies.) Buddy gets to interact with other dogs, and I get a lot of love. You ought to see me piled up in bed with all those dogs at nap time! They are easier to train and more obedient than children, too.

Pets are therapeutic for sick and lonely people, and they benefit from our love, too.

I am not supposed to lift more than ten pounds because of my heart condition, but folks like me are quite resourceful. We use carts for our dogs, groceries, and laundry. [Smile]

You may want to read your Purina label... [Frown]

Blessings,
BoomBoom

#68013 - 08/01/05 02:05 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
Princess Lenora Offline

Okay, I will read the label. BB, I am so glad you re-trained yourself to accept a doggie's love! I'm not begrudging the costs, I am begrudging the up charges for convenience from the vet for supplies! My first job outside of my family's business was as a dog bather in a grooming shop. I was a troubled teen, and related better to dogs than people. My job included trimming the nails, which I did day after day, dog after dog. However, I cannot trim my own dogs' claws. God forbid I should nick too far and draw blood! That is one thing I gladly pay the vet to do for me. I'm so glad you found friends in the canine kingdom! Love and Light, Lynn

#68014 - 08/01/05 02:34 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
BoomBoom Offline

Lynn,

I hate to show my ignorance publicly, but what do you mean by "up charges"?

If there are ways I can get meds and supplies cheaper, just point me in the direction! [Big Grin]

I don't skimp on medical care, however. There is a free service for pets of seniors and folks on limited income in my area called Rover. A Rover-mobile shows up in a public area, like a grocery store parking lot, and does free spaying and neutering of pets in an assembly-line like fashion. I took Buddy to a regular vet, however, so he could have pain killers and spend some time in recovery. It felt like my purse had been spayed...ouch! [Frown]

Buddy had breakfast in bed the next morning.

Thanks.
BB

#68015 - 08/01/05 08:38 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi BB, breakfast in bed. Now that's fair treatment for our precious pets. What I mean by up charges is this: a vet gets a can of food from a wholesaler for $1.00. The vet sells the food to us for $3.00. There is a profit to be made by the vet for the convenience of having the food available at the vet's for us. Is there a way to get food, flea control, heart worm meds cheaper? I tried a flea control product from Sam's club. There was definitly a difference in this product than the one from the vet's. The Sam's product smelled like insecticide and was not as effective. But it was cheap, cheap, cheap. I rather spend more to be sure my doggies weren't being harmed by unnecessary chemicals. That is so neat about Rover! What a wonderful service! Who thought of that? LLL

#68016 - 08/02/05 12:12 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Boom Boom and Lynn329, heres a flash......PetsMart has a catalog that I found out most of the clerks in their local stores don't even know they have. It has exceptionally LOW prices. I sometimes shop at the local PetsMarts here and when I do I take my catalog along so I can show it to them and get that catalog price in the store. For instance, I buy the Doggy Training Pads in a box of 100. In the store the cost is $31.00 but in the catalog the "all the time" price is $19.99 that is quite a saving. Boom Boom if lifting is a problem they ship UPS and UPS comes right to my door. Most of their drivers will also bring it into the house if its a heavy box and you ask nicely. Everything in the catalog is soooo much cheaper yet the same quality. Heres the info to get your FREE catalogs started: Call 1/800/872-3773 and order one today. I have saved hundreds of dollars really!
[Wink]

#68017 - 08/02/05 12:29 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Chatty, thank you for that information. I just checked a site PetVetDirect.com. I found the shampoo I use on my queenies of the house. The vet charges double what the site charges!

#68018 - 08/02/05 01:40 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
BoomBoom Offline

Hello Chatty,

I just called and ordered my catalog. Since I depend on others for transportation, I often order online or from catalogs.

I have a little discount swipe card from PetSmart, also.

My daughter learned PetSmart is a fun place to visit even if one doesn't have a dog. She took Buddy and me to a class and stayed to observe as well as purchase goodies for her cats. [Smile]

Thanks for the tip!
BB

#68019 - 08/02/05 02:06 AM Re: Our Pets' Food...
Terri Offline

Loc: Cedar Key, Florida
Great postings. Ah, doggies! My favorite people (don't tell my 2 cats...I love them too) but I've resonated with dogs ever since I can remember and have very seldom been without one.
My Holly is a 4 yr. old Boxer/Lab and THEE most incredible dog I've ever had! I sometimes think it's because all the other dogs we had, the kids were at home and the dog was more of a "family" dog. But Holly...she's mine and my husband's. I swear she has a better comprehension of vocabulary than most 4 year olds. She's affectionate and a true delight to be with. So can we love them too much? Yes, most definitely......but I feel for all the love I get in return from Holly, it's worth it.
About a place to order....I've been using Care A Lot Pets catalog at: www.carealotpets.com
I order Holly's Frontline through them, delivered to the door and much less expensive than what the vet charges.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved