The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67559 - 01/31/05 04:59 AM 166 pounds of Spots
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have a new house guest, his name is Pokadot and he is a Dalmation colored Great Dane. He eats about 4 pounds of dry food at a sitting and drinks from a wash tub. He is the gentlest dog and my Reeta and Rosee are already bossing him around and climbing all over him. He was about 60 pounds underweight and kept in a garage with no windows for weeks at a time by a cruel and stupid owner. He is a might skidish as he was beaten. Last night I just let him be and before I knew it he was at my feet asleep and today right now he is lying with his huge head on the girls little pillow bed and they're all three sound asleep. I will be interviewing adoptive parents all week. This wonderful animal will get the best home possible or stay here until he does. Its kind of like living with a horse. Thank the powers that be he is house broken...

#67560 - 01/31/05 05:54 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
There's a name for that colored Great Dane but I can't remember it right now. I had a Dane named Zeke who was so gentle and sweet. Great dogs but they don't live very long. Bless you Chatty for taking him in. They think they're lap dogs! Oh...they're called Harlequin (sp).

#67561 - 01/31/05 09:03 PM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Chatty, you're an angel to animals.

#67562 - 02/01/05 09:15 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Oh Chatty,
I can hardly read about cruelty to animals. I cannot watch it on TV or carry on a conversation about it. It breaks my heart. Thank You for being there for Pokadot. Give him a hug from me. The girls too. They are so lucky to have you as their momma.
From one animal lover to another.
chickadee

#67563 - 02/11/05 02:31 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Very early this morning Polkadot and I were on the road headed to his new home in Elko Neveda. He is now living with a family of six. Mom, Dad, and 2 girls 13, 15 and 2 brothers, 8, 11. They have a huge farmhouse on 27 acres. They have horses and the place is grassy and theres even a small lake/pond for fishing and a creek. I spent several hours there today with him and he was in doggy heaven. He ran and played and rolled around the grass, it was a sight to see. When the kids got home they were all around him. He hardly cared when I was leaving. I got one final big mushy lick on the face and I swear he smiled as he took off with the boys to the creek. He has gone from 166 pounds to 170 staying with me and his timid fearful personality was getting to be much friendlier and trusting. He now has a wonderful home with people who love him and can afford to care for him properly....Oh and he has 2 new friends as well, Cocker Spaniels named Tarzan and Jane. I just love happy endings!!

#67564 - 02/11/05 04:19 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh Chatty, it melts my heart. What a wonderful ending.

My Great Dane, Zeke, weighed 215 lbs and at the same time I had an English Mastiff named Bertha who weighed in at 208. Huge feed bills and they would sleep in the family room. When they had gas...well...that's 423 lbs of gas! I will never own a large dog again because they don't live very long and it breaks your heart. Zeke went downhill after Bertha died. Really sad to watch.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

#67565 - 02/11/05 09:13 PM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, sounds like something out of a child's story book.

#67566 - 02/12/05 03:16 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
chichii Offline

Loc: Grande Prairie
I'm happy to hear that poka dot as a new home, with lots of room to run and a loving family to boot. I have a manchester terrier cross, who is going on fourteen years now. She is going deaf and she can't see to well. She lays around the house and does alot of sleeping except when my young grandson comes to visit, then she goes into guard dog mode. She follows my little grandson all over the place. When Mickie the dog was younger we had a cat the same size as her and they would wrestle with one another allthe time throwing each other on the floor etc. Never hurting each other at all. My daughter has a german shepherd who is about three years old. He is extremely obedient, he won't eat unless my daughter gives the ok, he obeys my daughters every command. When my daughter brought home the new baby, the dog just layed down by the bed and would lick the babies head or her little feet. It should be interesting how the two of them will get along as they baby grows, the baby is six months now.

#67567 - 02/12/05 07:14 PM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Chatty,
Honey, God knew what he was doing when he sent you to earth. You are a guardian for the animals of HIS kingdom. You just simply melt my heart with your stories and let me tell ya, there's no doubt in my mind that you will receive a just reward some day. I love you dearly, and so does Trixie.

JJ

#67568 - 02/13/05 08:42 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

And Sammie and Diz love ya too...along with me.

I just received my Alex Valentines T-Shirt. It has his picture and a big heart and says, Alex says Be Mine! So, I have a Valentine this year!

#67569 - 02/17/05 02:00 PM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
chatty lady Offline
Writer

The rest of the story of Polkadot is this, in court today his old owner the creep that kept him imprisoned in an old garage with no windows and starved him and beat him regularily was given a $5000. fine AND one year in jail. The judge said if he could she'd put him in the same garage he kept Polkadot in....Sometimes what goes around really does come around....I spoke to Rachel also today, his new mother and she said he is a happy happy wonderful dog they all adore and is up another 15 pounds... [Big Grin]

#67570 - 02/17/05 04:29 PM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I would say that man got exactly what he deserved. Yeah Polkadot!

JJ

#67571 - 02/18/05 08:02 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

We have a woman, here in my town, that breeds some kind of little dog and they found hundreds of them in her home, suffering, in cages. They took them to the Animal Rescue and there was an all town effort to donate items, etc. for these little puppies. The judge fined her and told her she was never allowed to breed dogs again. Well, this week they caught her with some more puppies in her home so she's in jail now. I think it's a mental illness when people have so many animals that they can't care for.

But, to abuse an animal like the Dane's previous owner did. No excuse.

#67572 - 02/18/05 12:13 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
Had to share this about my son's dog when I read about Chichii's "guard dog." My little grandaughter (18 mos) has a Chocolate Lab named Beauregard (of course he is called Beau) and he is simply devoted to her. He sleeps under her crib, follows her everywhere. I noticed when I was there that she is forever walking around with some sort of food in hand, a cookie, cracker, whatever. He never takes his eyes off of her, when she drops the food he considers it his and will eat it. However, he will not take it from her hand even if it is right in front of his mouth. If she head towards the stairs (even though there is a gate) he barks and stands in front of her. Makes her soooo mad! LOL she says No, Beau! He won't allow her near those stairs though. My son called the other night to tell me that Beau came into their room (which he never does) and poked his cold nose under their covers until Ashley woke up. She told him, "Go away, Beau" and he would not he whined and continued to poke at her. She got up to check on the baby and sure enough her temp turned out to be 105.3, they had to take her to the hospital where she turned out to have the flu bug and had to be rehydrated by IV fluids. She never even woke up with this horrible high fever. Beau took good care of her and will always enjoy a special place in their family. I sent him a big ham flavor chew bone and a new collar! What a guy! Can't understand how people can hurt an animal, makes my blood boil..... Thank you Jesus for Beau!

#67573 - 02/19/05 08:01 AM Re: 166 pounds of Spots
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

WOW! What an amazing story! Gave me chills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved