The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 107 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#67518 - 12/28/04 09:39 PM jealousy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We are crazy about our dog and she is crazy about us. She's a good girl and loves most people, but we have to watch her around small children.

She is so jealous ever time a little baby or toddler is in our home. Her tail goes between her legs and she slumps around like an old lady whose husband is cheating on her.

We have to be careful because she once snapped at a friend's child. I couldn't believe it! Are your pets jealous?

#67519 - 12/29/04 02:57 AM Re: jealousy
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My Rosee is alittle love bug and makes up to everytbody, then we have our Reeta, she hates everyone and will not tolerate fast movements which x out most children. She tries to position herself between me and whoever I'm speaking with and if they move towards me or wave their hands while speaking she'll show her teeth, growl and snap if they get too close. I tell people straight out, watch her she will bite. She's only 10 pound Yorkie but thinks shes a German Shepard. I have to watch her always around my foster animals as well because she is sooo very jealous....Got to love her though. [Razz]

#67520 - 02/20/05 07:27 AM Re: jealousy
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Dotsie, I have a lab mix who is terrified of children. She was a stray before I took her in and it's possible she was abused or mistreated by some kids. Years later she still runs and hides around any children and will pull me off my feet to get away from them.

And, as the consciousness of the planet has raised, so has the consciousness of animals-- they are more like children themselves complete with a full range of emotions and feelings. Maybe it would help if you spend extra time with your fur kid before and after the children leave so she remembers she's special.

Also, she just may not like or care for children-- maybe if she's given the choice of being in a separate area of the house when children are around so that if she wants to socialize she can and if she doesn't that's fine too. Probably once she realizes that her feelings will be respected she'll feel calmer and happier. :-)

Best, Kelly

#67521 - 02/21/05 08:55 AM Re: jealousy
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My dog is jealous of the bird, Sammie. Gives me mournful looks when I hold her. She loves all people though.

#67522 - 02/20/05 09:40 PM Re: jealousy
Dannye Offline

Loc: Prophetstown, IL
My dog, who died last year at 17, was always treated like a child. When she was young - about 4 - I tended the next door neighbor's 6 month old baby while she ran an errand. Of course, I think I walked around holding the baby the whole time and talking to her. My dog was right there under my feet the whole time, whining. When the neighbor picked up the baby, I sat down on the couch. My dog leaped up on the couch and started licking my face in a total panic. For three days, I couldn't mvoe without her rubbing against my legs. If I sat down on the couch, she was in my lap, licking my face. I kept telling her that she wasn't being replaced. Finally she calmed down.

She was never mean to kids. I think she just considered them competition for my affection because they were little.

She also had an uncanny sense about adults. There were several times over the years that we had people in our home, and she would have absolutely nothing to do with them. Ultimately, she was always right about them!

#67523 - 02/20/05 11:58 PM Re: jealousy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by Dannye:
She was never mean to kids. I think she just considered them competition for my affection because they were little.

Everyone is competition for our dog. She is so dependent. Adorable, lovable, sweet, dedicated,...and dependent.

#67524 - 02/21/05 03:32 AM Re: jealousy
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Kelly hit the nail right on the head and her dog definitely was abused by kids, they never forget.

Dannye you are right to trust your dogs instincts they can see beneath the surface of a person and have a six sense we know nothing about. I trust my dogs always.

I would council anyone that has a pet thats skitish around children to put them in a quiet place when the kids are around. No one wants an accident and a skitish/frightened/jealous pet no matter what name you put to it can be dangerous.

My Aunt had a Afghan named Reggio that was raised from an 8 week old puppy with her 3 children and my cousin Kathleen babysit them for many years. One night at a birthday party we were attending for her youngest son, the dog was walking around visiting everyone and Kathy came in. She had been horseback riding. She reached down to pet the dog and he lunged at her and got her by the collar and shoulder, she had 17 stitches. No one expected this and my poor aunt was devistated about her dog and her niece. No one blamed my aunt but she had the dog destroyed.
The dog should not have been there in the first place, too many people, too small a space and sooooo noisy.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved