The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#67409 - 09/30/04 07:06 AM compassion of the animals
wolfbane Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Texas
So kewl to read about the pets! I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 elderly guinea pig, and 3 aquariums full of fish.

My dog, Riker, a rottweiler, is my buddy, stays in the room with me most of the time. If I don't feel well,he keeps especially close.

Riker is a registered Therapy Dog with Therapy Dogs Inc. He is retired because of a neck injury, he defended me from a boxer that broke into our yard and he possibly herniated a cervical disc.

I have a heart problem, a irregular heartbeat that can drive me nuts from time to time. Add to that a newly discovered blockage in a coronary artery, and you can see that my heart concerns me . Riker seems to know when I am feeling down, or especially tired, and he starts to clown around, for my benefit.

He is no longer a young dog, but thinks that entertaining me is worth a few sore muscles, so he chases his big ball around the yard, barking for me to watch him. If I ignore him, he will nose that big ball right up to me and bark as if to say "C'mon,we gotta play now!"

He loves to bring the paper in every morning, but teases me sometimes, he looks around to see if anyone is watching, runs out to the paper, and jumps on it with his front feet. This makes the paper slide down the sidewalk, like a skateboard! I laugh so hard, I cannot scold him! Oh well, I didn't need to read the first 5 pages anyway, they are worn away.

Lately, he has taken to leaning on me when I am at my PC,all 98 lbs of him. I need a chair with locking wheels, he pushes me around! Once he satisfies himself that I am Ok, he lays beside me and sleeps. Sometimes he rises from sleep and sniffs me up and down, I wonder if he can tell when I have heart trouble.

#67410 - 09/30/04 08:13 AM Re: compassion of the animals
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
Deb,
I emailed mutual friends that you needed prayer on the 5th. I am thinking of you, Dear Friend!
Love,
Linda

#67411 - 09/30/04 02:16 PM Re: compassion of the animals
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wolfbane you can bet the farm that Riker senses when your heart isn't up to par. My brother is an epileptic that has grand mall seizures out of the blue and my moms little old mutt knows to the second before he has a seizure and jumps about trying to make him sit down. Shes saved him dozens of times when he didn't even feel one coming on. They also have Cancer detecting dogs now. These animal gifts from God should be cherished. My moms dog was a save from the shelter who was to be put down in 24 hours. So many animals that are miraculous are destroyed because there are not enough homes or people get tired of them....how sad and discusting!

#67412 - 09/30/04 03:07 PM Re: compassion of the animals
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
How cool Riker is a pet therapy dog. I think that would be so wonderful...to have a pet therapy dog. I've got 3 dogs and I think 2 of them would be terrific as therapy dogs. I know it's a different thing but mine are great therapy for me and, with proper training, would be for other people as well.

WB, take care of you!

#67413 - 09/30/04 06:18 PM Re: compassion of the animals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
WB, Iwhen I read your post I knew chatty would jump in and there she was. She's our resident animal advocate and we love her for it! [Wink] Gwet her to tell you about her animals.

If you haven't already, you may wan to post more about your heart in the health forums. Maybe one of us can help put your mind at ease. Let's see.

#67414 - 09/30/04 06:30 PM Re: compassion of the animals
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
What a wonderful dog. Animals are so amazing. Must be your best friend. My dog always sleeps with me when I'm sick. She'll stay in bed as long as I do. Maybe you could post a picture of your dog for us to see? I love stories like yours. Thanks for sharing.

#67415 - 09/30/04 08:28 PM Re: compassion of the animals
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I want to amen that. The animal kingdom has much to offer our lives if we open up to them. I'm glad for you Wolf and hope you'll keep us posted on your welfare, won't you? Sending warm thoughts your way,

JJ

#67416 - 10/01/04 02:28 PM Re: compassion of the animals
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I've been looking into training my dog Willow to be a therapy dog. She's such a loving dog, everyone who comes to our house wants to take her home.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved