The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#65491 - 07/14/05 09:16 PM babysitting?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Remember babysitting for fifty cents an hour?

The post about Johnny Carson, test patterns and The National Anthem reminded me of babysitting.

Oh my gosh. I babysat for this one couple and they were night owls! The test pattern would run across the television, I'd hunt for something to keep me awake, and would always end up falling asleep sitting upright on the couch. That was such an embarrasing thing for me. But now that I think about it...it's not like parents stay awake all night to be sure nothing happens to their kids.

#65492 - 07/14/05 09:21 PM Re: babysitting?
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Ah yes, I remember babysitting. I have mixed memories. Some kids were exceptional, others were weird, bordering on mentally ill. (Parents, too) I remember being paid $10 for one evening and then it was a heap of money.

Marie

#65493 - 10/04/05 04:00 PM Re: babysitting?
Cinenarf Offline

Loc: New York
Sure do remember 50C an hour! I lived in an apt. building where there were many young couples when I was around 12. My parents encouraged me to sit (they knew where I was). I enjoyed the kids ... one boy liked to put "rollers" in my hair, another liked pillow fights; I gave him a bloody nose (didn't know he was susceptible to them). He was laughing but I was near tears. Coincidentally, one boy opened up a clothing store near where I live. All are parents today and I'm a grandmother [Smile] .

#65494 - 10/04/05 04:38 PM Re: babysitting?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I used to really enjoy babysitting and certainly DO remember 50 cents an hour! I always felt so "grown up" having the responsibility of taking care of other people's kids....and had my "favorites" to babysit for as we all did.

Loved your stories Cinenarf about the rollers, etc. I can recall one little girl who loved to brush my hair for me - playing "beauty parlor"!

Wonder what the going rate for babysitting is these days??????

#65495 - 10/05/05 07:41 AM Re: babysitting?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

My daughter made $50.00 for watching two children from 8:00 - 2:00 a couple weekends ago. She has another job, but can't turn down some babysitting jobs!

cinearf, that reminds me that one of the kids that babysat my kids is married with a baby. [Eek!]

#65496 - 10/05/05 04:08 AM Re: babysitting?
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
Whoa! I must be a lot older than some of you or I was a real naive babysitter. I remember getting a whopping 35 cents an hour and that included a full time summer baby sitting job. Not only did I take care of a one year old but cleaned the house and did the dishes the couple always left in the sink from the night before. No wonder they liked me!

#65497 - 10/05/05 04:22 AM Re: babysitting?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
The most I ever made was $ 1.50 an hour to watch the kid, do laundry, vacuum, make her dinner and sometimes, drive her to piano lessons!
(Yeah, I was old enough to drive...)

#65498 - 10/05/05 08:16 AM Re: babysitting?
karenelaine1977 Offline

Loc: Mississippi
Oh my goodness! That's CHEAP! I can't remember what I got paid...I remember thinking whatever amount it was was more than I had before my babysitting job! ha ha

The girl that has offered to baby-sit Laine-if I ever get up the courage to let her-charges $5.00, but that doesn't seem like enough. What do y'all think?

#65499 - 10/05/05 06:57 PM Re: babysitting?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Around here the kids get between 7 and 10 depending on the number of children, and the time of day. My daughter makes more per hour babysitting than she does at her more than minimum wage retail job.

I think I'll start babysitting!

I think it's great that people are paying more. It's a huge responsibility!

#65500 - 10/06/05 04:34 AM Re: babysitting?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
From the time I was 11 thru 16 I babysat for a woman with an adorable little girl that lived on our block. Her mother gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl about two years after I began to babysit. She named then Charles and Charlene. I was aso proud she named the girl after me and I got to be her Godmother. I don't remember what I made a week babysitting a couple hours every night and all day saturday. But what an honor for someone as young as me the be a babys Godmother and her name sake...

[ October 05, 2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved