The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#6474 - 05/31/05 08:25 PM Making a will, living health, etc.
Nancy Christie Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello all! I am looking for some personal stories (nothing real long) that I can include in my article on making wills, living wills and health care proxy.
The piece is for All You Magazine.
In a nutshell:
Have you created any of the three documents?
Were there circumstances that led you to do so?
Alternatively, have you or someone close to you been in a situation were NOT having any of the above documents was a real problem?
I would need to have your first and last name, city and state for publication, and contact information for the fact checker.
And I have a really SHORT deadline--like I need input by Thursday at the latest!
If you have any comments, please respond to nancy@nancychristie.com
Thanks!!

#6475 - 06/01/05 06:47 AM Re: Making a will, living health, etc.
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hi Nancy -

Dave and I decided to make trusts as opposed to wills but living wills and health care information is contained in both our trusts. We did this because I goaded "us" into meeting with the lawyer.Prior to our trusts being made, we didn't even have wills.

Here are a few reasons I wanted a trust as opposed to a will...

*it's less expensive. sure, it costs more money to write a trust as opposed to a will BUT there's no probate

*it's private. NO ONE can see your trust unless YOU allow. a trust is not on public record at the court house upon my demise. NO ONE can see to whom I gave what nor can they ascertain my earthly worth.

*a trust can't be broken.

Dave's cousin, whom I helped care for in her last days, *refused* to make a will. I BEGGED her to make a will; "leave it all to your college or the animal shelter" said I. But she wouldn't and didn't and the ensuing grievious mess was a wonder to behold. Relatives were shouting at each other, grabbing for what they could get...it was just plain rude and wrong. But, as the Good Book says, "the *LOVE* of money is the root of *all* evil" <emphasis mine>.

Lawyers got plenty, as did the bank and that meant there was less for the heirs. Also, the people who helped care for her...and I don't mean me because I only stepped in from time to time to quiet her or read the Bible...but those people who bathed her, who did her laundry, who cared for her personal needs weren't given anything because her will didn't stipulate it. A couple of her relatives got together and gave the primary care giver some money but most of them acted like we'd suggested they open a vein.

Finally, her earthly belongings were disposed of, the money split up and "peace" ensued. But there are still relatives who aren't speaking to each other...sigh...and all over money or power but it's about the same, isn't it?

If you need a phone number, e-mail me off forum at bricbenn@thistlecovefarm.com. Best of success with your article.

Sandra Bennett
Tazewell County, VA

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved