The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#64309 - 01/17/04 04:01 PM hula hoop
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This was on e of my favorites, but my sister definitely had me beat. She was awesome!

I can still hear the rhythm of the beads when we got over 20 times. For whwatever reason we always counted as we swayed. [Big Grin]

We had contests, we tried doing it around our ankles, we ran with them, tried two at a time, all kinds of fun things with them.

When I was at Curves the other day, onne of the gals that works there shared that some of the Curves have hula hoops and she heard one woman lost 5 inches off her waistin a month by adding the hula hoop to her routine.

Tempting, huh?

Any memories on this one?

#64310 - 01/17/04 04:53 PM Re: hula hoop
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I use to love those things. Me and the sisters would form a ring and have contests too. It was great fun.

I also remember the skates that were metal. There was a park not far from the house and we would go there everyday. Someone had poured a slab of concrete and we would all meet there and skate. Remember how you had to constantly stop and tighten your skates with those keys? By the time I was 10 I could skate backwards, forwards, two-step..etc...I ended up with a job working in a skatting rink for three years. That was my first job. I loved it! The owners gave me my very own "professional" skates...Man! I thought I was soooo cool....ahahahah....

#64311 - 01/17/04 06:46 PM Re: hula hoop
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Oh yes, the hula hoops what fun! Our neighborhood had them and we all tried to do it. I remember going from my waist to my kness and back up. I could do it a hundred times then. I still have my old pink one. I don't think I could do it very long now but I can see where this would help with weight loss.
I too remember the skates with the keys and skating on the sidewalks. Loved your skating rink story Jawjaw.
Maggie

#64312 - 01/18/04 12:03 AM Re: hula hoop
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Gee, the skating rink. What a lot of memories there. Remember "All Skate" and "Couples Skate" and speeding round and round to the fabulous tunes that blared from the big speakers and dancing on skates and flirting with the boys.

Reminds me of a story.

One of my female cousins came to the rink to learn to skate only because she had a huge crush on a boy named Marcus. The first time she tried she got on the rink without problems and was skating somewhat precariously, but with the flow around the rink when Marcus sped past. He distracted her or something. Her skates went wildly out of control and her legs went in all directions. She felt herself falling and tried to grasp anything she could to keep herself upright. Teetering, she somehow she got her hands into the back pockets of skater in front of her.

As she went down, so did his pants and the two of them wound up on the floor in a huge pile up. She tried to stand and help him up, but her legs went in all directions again and he couldn't get up alone because his pants were tying his legs together around his ankles.

It was not a pretty scene. Finally the owner came over and helped get Marcus's pants from around his ankles and both of them off the rink.

That same cousin went on to marry Marcus and there's another hilarious story of her klutziness at bowling, but that can wait for a bowling post.

smile

#64313 - 01/18/04 06:57 PM Re: hula hoop
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Queen, there was nothing like a new slab of cement to skate on! [Big Grin]

I met my fist boyfriend at a skate rink. It was an ice rink though.

It was that couple's skate that brought us together. Funny memories! [Big Grin]

He had a brown leather coat and there was a period of years where I couldn't smell leather without thinking of him.

Oh my gosh, I gave my husband a brown leather coat this year for Christmas. What a riot...just made the connection. [Eek!]

#64314 - 01/18/04 07:00 PM Re: hula hoop
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Queen, when we meet I want to see you do the two step! On your skates. [Big Grin] Get practicing girl.

I have a friend whose father still ice skates several times a week. He's in his 70's, so don't tell me you can't do it anymore. [Razz]

#64315 - 01/18/04 07:00 PM Re: hula hoop
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I think I have one of those metal skate keys in the attic.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved