The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#63960 - 02/07/05 09:45 AM New Sub Topic/Forum???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dotsie, I've been wandering around here for a few minutes trying to figure out the appropriate forum to present two subjects: Technological Issues and Adult Cont. Ed.

I believe that since many of us have or are still pursuing higher ed, there should be a spot here for this in the event we need to cry, laugh at a classmate, have empathy for an 88 year old on that can't remember how to get to class, need some homework input....

The other one could be that of folk that have computer repair issues. If we pose the issues, some of us may have already experienced the symptoms leading to crashes or simply updates.

I'm an Business Management Info Tech student (MBTI-in my last two combined classes). I'd appreciate the practice, for one. There may be several others that have great technical input/info. when experiencing computer tech/support/brainstorm (which is extremely expensive).

What'd ya think?

#63961 - 02/09/05 08:49 AM Re: New Sub Topic/Forum???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sug, I had to think this over for a day. That's why I'm just getting to you.

I like the idea of continuing education. I could do a forom along the lines of back to school. That appeals to me and I think many women would benefit.

The idea of the technology help scares me. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't take the advice of someone in a forum when it comes to my computer. Sorry ladies! That's just my opinion. Also, as the owner of this site I'd feel uncomfortable if someone's computer crashed becasue of some of us trying to help each other.

Other thoughts ladies?

Sug, thanks for always thinking about our online neighborhood and ways to improve it. I appreciate that!

#63962 - 02/08/05 10:29 PM Re: New Sub Topic/Forum???
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dotsie I always say that KNOW-HOW and DO-HOW are not the same thing. As far as techno advice goes, I like hearing about new "stuff". I'd probably leave the installation to professionals, but it's hard to ask for something if you don't even know it exists.... Real technical journal type reading material makes my eyes roll back in my head...Snorborrrring....but if someone told me, "Hey, I bought this new (****) and this is what it does....and it's called (****)" then I'd run right down to my computer man and say, 'Hey, my friend told me about...do you have any? Would I try to install it myself??!! [Eek!] Heck No! I'm a firm believer in 'Don't Try This At Home!'.
Sigrid was talking about a voice dictate program in another forum, and I'm like and...and...tell me about this gadget. I guess what I'm trying to say is I like having the KNOW-HOW but no matter how much of KNOW-HOW I have, I'm still not gonna do the DO-HOW part.

#63963 - 02/09/05 08:10 AM Re: New Sub Topic/Forum???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dotsie, I have no idea why I even said that I'd like the practice! I actually tend to run the other way when certain family or friends bombard me with these questions or constantly need me fixing something. Maybe they've worn their welcome?? Yeah.

However, the Techo gadgets that Unique mentions sounds great. I do have a lot of that kind of info and I'm sure many others do too but dont know where to post them??? Maybe?

Anyhow, AE would be a pleasant forum to share those ordeals with.

For instance: When I first went back, I felt happy, excited, glad and sad at the same time. I was out of the 'loop' and had to play catch-up on the latest techy-talk/gadgets/applications...ect. Then, there was the social aspect of cont. ed. Those can be creepy if you attend a university to continue. Especially when you feel too old to hang out with these youngsters. That can make you flat out sad! LOL! Just kidding.

#63964 - 02/09/05 07:46 PM Re: New Sub Topic/Forum???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I like the title, Adult Education. How about the rest of you?

Also, maybe a Tech Talk forum? It's growing on me. I think you're right. We do need a space for that.

Opinions ladies?

#63965 - 02/10/05 08:01 AM Re: New Sub Topic/Forum???
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I like both ideas.

#63966 - 02/10/05 07:11 AM Re: New Sub Topic/Forum???
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi, I like both ideas too. Education is life-long learning. And we have to face the fact that it's difficult to navigate in the world today if we don't know how to do the tekki talk. If it wasn't for my husband, I'd still be using a typewriter! He's the gadget friendly guy. As for the AE: Sugar, I was a college student in my 40's. I felt so self-conscious being the oldest in a PE 101 class. While the college provided a non-traditional student club with support, it would have been nice to share my insecurities and successes at my fingertips. We could talk about all avenues of AE, whether credit or non-credit. Love and Light, Lynn

#63967 - 02/12/05 08:57 AM Re: New Sub Topic/Forum???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I plan to add them next week. Be on the lookout.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved