The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6221 - 12/01/04 06:50 PM Wedding costs
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
How many of you are aware that the bride's family doesn't pay for the entire wedding? How many of you know that the groom's family pays for the rehearsal dinner and alcohol served at the reception?

I had to talk to my ex last night as our son is getting married next Sept. about splitting the cost on these two things. He was, or pretended to be, completely floored that he had to come up with any money for the wedding. But then, he's always liked to show up for things that he didn't have to pay for! [Big Grin]

I wondered if I was the only one who knew these traditions. Oh, when I called I got my ex sister in law by mistake and we talked for about 30 minutes. It was great!

#6222 - 12/01/04 07:25 PM Re: Wedding costs
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
When my oldest daughter got married, it cost me thousands. His parents had the rehearsal dinner at their house-She boiled some hot dogs and I wound up giving the wedding party their gifts (another responsibiliy of the groom according to our wedding planner) at the reception.
His family opted for the grooms cake in liew of alcohol at the reception. His mother made a chocolate cake.
It was not that they couldn't afford a nice dinner or alcohol either. She's an attorney and he's a commercial pilot.
I just silently wrote checks because I wanted my daughter to be happy on Her day.
She was.
smile

#6223 - 12/01/04 10:20 PM Re: Wedding costs
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I recall that the groom's family paid for the rehearsal dinner, and the bride's family paid for the reception. Did that change? I've never heard of the alcohol stipulation.

#6224 - 12/01/04 11:48 PM Re: Wedding costs
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Yes Dotsie. I don't know when it changed but that's the way it's done now. Maybe somebody had compassion and decided there was too much pressure on the bride's family. Makes sense to me.

The little gal my son is marrying, just lost her father a few months ago and her mom is using what insurance money she has to fix her home so she can sell it. It's going to be very hard on her to carry the load and I'm sure my son will decide to pay for it. How, I don't know! Oh wait, yes I do! He'll ask me to do it for him! [Big Grin]

Ah children...the gift that keeps on giving (and taking).

#6225 - 12/05/04 07:58 AM Re: Wedding costs
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Well, I've never heard that one about the alcohol either and we've had an abundance of weddings in our family over the past 5 years. Ours of course, was just 5 years ago and a second marriage. Being the partents, we paid for the wedding, but we had a cash bar. Most weddings are cash bars these days anyway.

My daughter got married 4 years ago, next week. Between her father and I, we paid for most of the reception, but not the booze. Again, a cash bar.

We've married off one of my stepsons and my stepdaughter in the past 3 years. My husband paid for the whole wedding for his daughter, but not the alcohol and for his son, her divorced parents paid for the wedding but there was a cash bar. I'll have to ask him if he paid for the rehearsal dinners. I don't remember.

My first wedding - my father paid for the whole thing, including an open bar for a good portion of the reception. We finally shut it down.

I don't think anyone is obligated to pay for alcohol. I can't remember the last time I went to a wedding and didn't have to buy our own drinks. At my stepson's wedding however, his mother bought the alcohol. The town they got married in had funny laws. They only allowed alcohol if you supplied it and you couldn't charge for it.

Louisa

#6226 - 12/05/04 10:48 PM Re: Wedding costs
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, that's interesting. I've never been to a wedding that had a cash bar. Different states, different customs?

We only have one daughter. Phew. The other two are sons. I hope they give us a financial break between college and weddings because eve if you don't pay for the wedding, there are lots of other expenses. I don't know how kids afford being in weddings these days. [Big Grin] They have to buy dresses, have showers, give luncheons...it never ends. But, the memories are always great!

#6227 - 12/05/04 11:43 PM Re: Wedding costs
Louisa Offline

Wow. I never thought of that. I just figured it was the same everywhere. With the tightening of the drinking and driving laws and the soaring costs of weddings, people have gotten away from open bars. Much too dangerous and no one wants to be responsible. When people aren't paying for the alcohol, they tend to drink more. It also gets wasted. I for one, had no intention of paying for booze. At our wedding, (we had a brunch but it started at 11 A.M. so there was drinking eventually) we supplied a champagne toast and I think a bottle of wine at each table, but we had the hotel set up a bar in the ballroom, paid extra for the bartender, and anyone who wanted mixed beer or drinks, etc. got their own.

When I went to find a photographer, I was in shock [Eek!] What I thought would be a few hundred dollars turned out to be about $1200 and we didn't need mothers' books, etc. and there wasn't a church. It was all in the ballroom at the hotel. I thought it would be easy, but it was very expensive. But, I love pictures. We didn't get a big album either with 8x10s. Just 3 8x10s and a lot of smaller pictures, plus the throw away cameras and my own digital ones. My daughter got the same photographer for her wedding. She did an awesome job. Gina's wedding pictures cost more than twice what mine did, but they are beautiful. I bought my own and made up a mother's album of my own.

I wrote an article for the paper about a year ago on ways of cutting the cost of weddings.

I made my own invitations on the pc. Made my daughter's too. [Smile]
Louisa

#6228 - 12/06/04 12:03 AM Re: Wedding costs
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Maybe I should ask my son to consider a cash bar. All of your ideas make sense. I think I might end up doing the majority of the work as the bride's mother lives in another state, but then, so do it! She's a new widow and I know can't afford a big wedding. My son asked me if I'd come down a week or two ahead to help her but I don't want her mom to feel like I'm taking over. Touchy ground.

#6229 - 12/06/04 12:31 AM Re: Wedding costs
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My Mom and Dad paid for my large bridal shower and for the wedding but his parents paid for the rehearsal dinner. Eddie and I paid for the liquor ourselves once the wedding was done it was paid out of the envelopes of money we received plus we added some. I and Ed felt we should be responsible for some of the cost. We also each paid for our own bridesmaids and ushers gifts. The kids should chip in for something. I never knew there was a set in stone bunch of wedding rules of who pays for what. It should be discussed and decided mutually between all parties including the bride and groom to be. Doesn't the word "ELOPE" s [Big Grin] ound good about now?

#6230 - 12/06/04 06:11 AM Re: Wedding costs
Louisa Offline

I thought that it was that way years ago. My parents paid for my first wedding - all of it. My mother-in-law gave me a huge shower and I think she had the rehearsal party, if I remember right. But, it was a party at her house. They didn't do big rehearsal dinners back then. [Eek!]

These days, with costs so out of sight, I think people change the rules around a little. Yes, the kids should pay for some things.

This is from the article I wrote for the newspaper:
Brides Dare to Be Different
Traditionally, weddings have had more rules and regulations over the years than most brides knew what to do with. Years ago, a young bride would be under so much pressure to follow proper etiquette she hardly had time to think about having fun at her own wedding. Other things took precedence, such as the proper wording of invitations, seating arrangements, how many attendants to have, and getting seven bridesmaids to agree on one dress.

A good example of this is one of my all-time favorite movies, Father of the Bride, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Spencer Tracy. The classic 1950 film depicts all the hoopla and commotion surrounding the bride. Tracy portrays a bewildered dad as he writes the checks and tries to figure out how he will pay for the big day. Elizabeth, stressed out from trying to please both sets of parents, almost calls the whole thing off. Somehow it all works out and there’s a happy ending.

Brides have dramatically changed their attitudes since 1950. Today’s brides dare to be different. While some choose to blend the old customs with the new, many opt for tossing tradition aside and making up their own rules. The groom is now included in the decision making and some couples write their own meaningful vows.

Weddings have become a big business. The average cost is easily $10,000 to $15,000 for a modest event. A designer gown, that will be worn only once, can be a big-ticket item, not to mention the cost of the reception, flowers, favors, invitations, a photographer, disc jockey, limos, or a horse drawn carriage. I wonder what Spencer Tracy would think of all this.

[Big Grin] Louisa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved