The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60987 - 12/15/05 05:44 PM Woman's World Weekly Magazine
ladybug Offline

My elderly neighbor has a subscription to this weekly magazine. When she's done with them she passes them on to me. Right now a bunch of them are in a large paper bag waiting to be recycled to my next elderly friend who loves them. That lady passes them on to a younger woman who also loves them.

When my neighbor first started giving me these magazines four years ago I would thumb through them, now I barely give them a glance.

I don't like this magazine at all. Why?
On one page you've got endless recipes for tantalizing dishes complete with pictures. It's enough to send any sane woman barreling to the refrigerator. On the next page and countless pages after that are diet tips and stories on how women "battled the bulge." It's as if these two counter forces are challenging women to eat and diet. It's like setting women up for a no-win situation.

If that's not bad enough for you there are the lurid questions about sex. Do women really ask such prurient questions or do the mags themselves make these up? I once passed on these mags to a fellow boomer. She later told me she screened them before passing them on to her then, 22 year old daughter. She also thought the sex questions were a bit too much and in poor taste. She declined any further issues I offered to her.

I really wonder why my 82 year old neighbor likes this magazine. It borders on trash. I guess I and my other boomer friend are in the minority on this one. Are there any of you who have read and liked this magazine? I won't stone you, I'm just wondering if I am missing something or being a total prude?

#60988 - 12/15/05 06:12 PM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
LB, I'm not interested in those magazines with all the sex stories. One of my friends passes a Self magazine to me every month. I told her i didn't like them because of some of the policies it promotes. She still gives them to me and I still accept them, however they go directly to my trash.

I get Oprah's magazine because it doesn't have all the trashy articles. Sometimes there is a sex related story, but it isn't sensationalized and you can count on it's accuracy. Maybe her mag will set an example for the other traditional ladies mags.

Daisygirl

#60989 - 12/15/05 06:40 PM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
ladybug Offline

Thanks Daisygirl,

Oprah is a class act and one of my favorites too.

The mags I do subscribe to are Cat Fancy, Nutrition Action and Birds and Blooms.

Two others that I receive are because of donations I make to their fine organizations. One is called Best Friends. This is an animal sanctuary in Utah where people can drop off old, injured, unwanted or ailing animals. You can even work as a volunteer there.

The other mag I receive is from the World Wildlife Federation. I also use to receive the Sierra Club and Audubon mags as well. Thinking about renewing with them.

[ December 15, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#60990 - 12/15/05 07:10 PM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Lately I've been subscribing to decorating/remodeling mags, but have been letting them expire since I'm winding down on the home projects. I used to subscribe to Vanity Fair, but I discovered they were not all that thorough in their investigating and some articles were incorrect so I cancelled. For years I subscribed to Time, but as I became more conservative in my politics, it became too liberal for me.

Daisygirl

#60991 - 12/16/05 08:10 AM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I don't like Woman's World, either, for many of the reasons some of you mention. I only look at it as a last resort, if I'm stuck in a doctor's waiting room with nothing else to read. Usually, I end up putting it down and shaking my head. Obviously, a lot of women don't agree with us, since it's been in business for years.

I much prefer cooking and decorating magazines.

#60992 - 12/16/05 05:06 AM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
ladybug Offline

I love cooking magazines but I always get hungry reading them in waiting rooms! [Roll Eyes]

#60993 - 12/16/05 06:17 AM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Best Friends is first on my list and I have spent a couple weeks there every year volunteering, the accomodations are excellent and the feeling of live you come away with lasts all summer long. I work for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary here in Vegas and sometimes we have to take an unadoptable animal there to live out its life in comfort....I also like Vegetarian Times.....

#60994 - 12/16/05 05:46 PM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
ladybug Offline

Hi Chatty, I use to get Vegetarian Times as well. I haven't had that one in years though. How cool that you've volunteered at Best Friends sanctuary. I sponsor a cat there (of course).

#60995 - 12/17/05 07:50 AM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Been a charter member there for nearly 8 years now and work here in Nevada for a chapter of Best Friends and also the SPCA which is also a no-kill sanctuary. Anyone that loves animals would get such great pleasure volunteering there for awhile. Your heart will be filled with such love and your psyche will be as bright as the noon day sun....all those little creaturs adoring you, needing you and showing such loving gratitude to you...

[ December 16, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#60996 - 12/29/05 04:20 AM Re: Woman's World Weekly Magazine
Bunnylady Offline

Loc: Georgetown, TX
I've been buying Woman's World for years- I've never seen any questions about sex or articles about sex that are inappropriate- in fact they have almost no mention of sex to my knowledge- I love the health and diet section- I've learned a lot from reading that section- I learned of new procedures to help my acid reflux problem thru Woman's World- I learned my daughter had A.D.D through Woman's World and I find great travel articles in WW. Yes they have lot's of great recipes- I guess they try to aim their magazine towards a bigger market by getting those who don't need to lose weight to buy it as well as those that do need to lose weight to buy it. I love the articles on true life things and cut out and save many of the articles- In fact when I found this forum just an hour ago I was cutting out articles from WW and storing them- even stored cookie recipes for Xmas next year and saved the article on dieting with Grapefruit before every meal- I tried it years ago and lost a pound a day just like the article mentioned and here is the diet resurfacing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved