The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#60868 - 12/06/05 04:14 AM I never imagined
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I never imagined how hard it would be to find an organization that will take donated clothing!

I spent the afternoon calling all the religious locations I can think of....and then got the run around when I called a county number.

I want to donate my grandmother's clothing. She has brand new clothes with the tags still on them & other items are all in good condition. We also have 3 winter jackets.

I just checked out Big Brothers/Big Sisters & there is a location in the next town. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they are able to take clothing there. ( I am leery of putting it in one of those drop off bins. )

I'm trying to do something good...trying to help others...it's quite discouraging. Especially at the holidays.

Will let you know how it all turns out.
Wish me luck!!!

#60869 - 12/06/05 04:25 AM Re: I never imagined
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Wow, Kay, that IS hard to imagine! We have two charities that call us every 2 months to see if we have any used clothing or other items to donate...and if so, we bag them up, leave them on the front doorstep and they come and pick them up! And we can call them anytime in between those pickups and they'll come by within a few days.

One is the Canadian Diabetes Association, the other is the Salvation Army, plus we have a Thrift Store run by another charity organization right around the corner, but they don't pick up. I don't know if you have organizations like that in your area. But you could try the American Diabetes Association, maybe they have the same sort of thing.

What about any women's shelters? Or homeless shelters?

#60870 - 12/06/05 04:30 AM Re: I never imagined
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Kay...do you not have Salvation Army, Red Cross or Goodwill Industries?
Sometimes the county has certain organizations that they refer the homeless to for clothing and such.
Sure others would be real thankful for a warm winter coat.
How nice of you to donate, it all comes around you know.

#60871 - 12/06/05 04:36 AM Re: I never imagined
ladybug Offline

We have an organization here called freecycle.com

You just go on-line to freecycle and type in all the stuff you want to give away for free and the info is submitted to all the members who are registered. We've given away tons of stuff to needy families and to folks just wanting the things. People also send in requests for things they want or need. They aren't supposed to do that but so far it's working out okay.

In turn, we receive the listings of needs and stuff others are giving away. This has worked out so much better than giving it to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

[ December 05, 2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#60872 - 12/06/05 04:37 AM Re: I never imagined
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
One of the churches here has a place where those in need can get used clothing for free, no questions asked. They gladly accept any and all donations. Good Will and Slavation Army no longer do. You might call around and see if any of the churches in your area do this. I know my mother found one that took my father's things.

#60873 - 12/06/05 04:52 AM Re: I never imagined
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The only problem here is getting someone to come pick the stuff up. There are too many places here to count that take clothing etc. I have been taking anything I can get or don't need, to the local womans shelter. Most of those ladies leave their situations with the clothes on their backs. Try to find one in your area.The police services officer usually has the name.

#60874 - 12/13/05 09:37 PM Re: I never imagined
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
We finally found a place to donate my grandmother's clothing. The Methodist Church in the town where my grandmother lived most of her life has a thrift shop. So it's sort of fitting that we found them.

We already donated her winter jackets to NY Cares-they collect jackets for the homeless every year.
I am very happy to know someone will get the jackets that need them.

I am also happy we found the Methodist Church. I know the money from the sales at the thrift store goes to help the church & the community.

I hated the idea of giving the clothing away & not knowing where it would end up. I know many of the places you drop them off in the bins are sold by the pound overseas.

Thank You everyone for your help!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved