The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#60845 - 11/23/05 04:59 PM Freedom of Speech
ladybug Offline

We have a wonderful thing here in America and it's called Freedom of Speech.

But what does it mean to each of you? Are there instances where we would be justified in drawing the line on Freedom of Speech?

What if our "speech" hurts others? Should we still be allowed to say whatever we want to if it seriously hurts another person, even if it is well-meant?

I know that maybe this subject belongs in Our Voices but there is an important posting as the top issue and I felt it would take away from that person's topic.

#60846 - 11/23/05 07:20 PM Re: Freedom of Speech
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Freedom of speech that hurts another is called "libel" in America and can be litigated.

I have plenty more to say on the subject, especially about the self-censorship in the media, but my views wouldn't be popular and arguing would be fruitless. I will go so far as to say that our "freedom of speech" isn't as free as it used to be. And neither are a whole lot of other things as well.

Thank you, Patriot Act. The most unconstitutional piece of legislation ever passed.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved