The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#60452 - 08/24/05 07:51 AM Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Cagedbird and I were discussing hairstyles. Tell me what style you have. I have been letting mine grow and right now, it's past my shoulders so I usually put it in a ponytail. But, I might be looking like an old hippie and nobody will tell me! With the humidity here, it's the best way for me to keep it off my neck and I have a ton of hair so it gets hot!

A young guy asked me one time, why do women always cut their hair in these menopausal haircuts when they get older? I've been afraid to have short hair since then. [Big Grin]

[ August 23, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#60453 - 08/24/05 07:57 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I think we had a big old discussion in the forum around last Summer or so about hairstyles - since then I've sort of changed mine....my hair has thinned a lot as I got into my 50s so long was OUT. Long, stringy hair is not exactly attractive and mine's baby fine on top of that! SO - I have shorter hair - still long layers but it's well above my shoulders. I wear bangs too because I have a high forehead. Three weeks ago I broke down and got a body perm which I'm SOOOOOO happy with - - - added a LOT of bulk to my hair. For the first time in probably 20 years I actually LIKE my hair!

By the way Dianne, if my hair was thicker like you say yours is, I MIGHT be tempted to let it grow out at least to my shoulders or even a tiny bit longer - - - ponytails are SO cute!

#60454 - 08/23/05 09:50 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

That's what I'm a little worried about...is my ponytail too cutsie for a woman my age? The guy that does my hair is very honest since it's his repuation as a hairsylist and he says it's fine. It's all one length, which makes the ponytail so easy. I'm into not spending a lot of time on my hair these days.

#60455 - 08/24/05 12:06 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
I go fot the ponytail too- my hair is mid-back and I let it go grey to on top of it- My mother, bless her soul, hates it! I am 53 years old and mom still thinks she has to butt in. Also am 4ft10 so some days I wonder if I look like cousin it from the ADDam's family but the thought of that woman of a certain age bob is not for me I am hair styling challenged so this is my hair from forever

#60456 - 08/24/05 02:15 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Pam Kimmell Offline

I really think that HOWEVER you wear your hair the most important thing is when you look in the mirror do you think "YUCK!" or "HEY, NOT BAD!!" or "MAYBE IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE!"... in other words I think our hairstyle is much like our "body look".....if we are happy within ourselves and with what WE see, maybe that's the most important thing? Of course there's the "comfort" factor too and time constraints. Some of us just plain don't want to spend forever in front of the mirror in the morning fixing our "do". And our jobs (or lack thereof) have an influence on our look and our hair. There's a lot that goes into the whole choosing of a hairstyle. Now that I'm retired and spending most of my day writing I guess it doesn't matter WHAT I look like (!!) but still, I like looking in the mirror and thinking "HEY, NOT BAD!"....LOL

#60457 - 08/24/05 03:57 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You know deep down whether a hair style is right for you or not no matter who you are. Personally I wear my hairstyle to suit myself. If I feel comfortabe with it and like the way it looks whos to say its wrong. Let them, hairsylist or not, wear the hair style they want and I'll do the same. A pretty woman looks good no matter what she does, a not so pretty one, oh well, you know!!!! Hair does NOT make the woman, whats under that hair does. [Wink]

[ August 23, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#60458 - 08/24/05 12:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I buzzed mine down to 1/2" at the sides for the summer. I still have the ponytail halfway down my back but it's up in a barrette when the weather's hot (till October?) Bangs to hide some of the wrinkles. Fine straight hair so my options are limited.

But -- I am SOOOOO excited!! -- a new beauty supply store opened in a local minimall and they have really neat colors that the clerk says will color the silver only, which is what I want. I'm actually fine with the silver and I've never colored my hair ever ever, but these are really cool colors. I can get semi-permanent haircolor highlights in bright purple, or magenta, or hot pink. If they were permanent colors, I would've bought right then; I just hate the idea of messing around every 5-6 shampoos. I'm into the VERY low maintence beauty regime.

At first when I asked about purple, the clerk tried to steer me to more plum or burgundy shades, but I just gave her a dirty look. I mean, why go through all that trouble just to look inconspicuous?

#60459 - 08/24/05 08:09 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is great. I'm getting visuals on everyone.

I have had my hair highlighted off and on for a couple years. Last week I was in need of some highlights, but Olga wasn't available. Melanie used Olga's card to get my highlight color and went to town! Gracious! It almost looks like I bleached my hair. I have never been this blonde, and never will be again as long as I live.

My style has been about the same forever. It's basically one length at the shoulders with a few layers cut in recently. I have a small bang section that is a little long and goes off to the side.I have enough that I can pull it back in a ponytail (of sorts) with stuff hanging around my face. Even when I wear it down, I tend to pull the sides back in a small clip...whatever.

I'm heading towards getting the little pony length cut off and having a big girl hair cut that will make me look older, but who cares? I think it will be easier, and that's what I'm all about.

#60460 - 08/24/05 09:40 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

It's the talented, artistic types that can put purple in their hair and look fantastic! I'd look like an idiot! You rule, Mededith!

I'll probably have some length cut off in the Fall but then, I might not. Maybe I'll go for the Crystal Gale look.

#60461 - 08/24/05 09:52 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My hair is past my shoulders and I usually wear it in a pony tail, or clip it all up when it's hot, like all summer. I have a high forehead also and keep long bangs to try to hide it.

I don't have Meredith's courage to go purple but wish I did, it sounds like fun!

I never liked the way I looked in short hair and so plan on keeping it at least to the shoulder forever!

My hair is very dry. Does anyone know a good conditioner that I could use? I found a good one but they changed formula's on me!

#60462 - 08/25/05 01:34 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Yes, it's called Bone Marrow but I can't think of who makes it. I'll check and let you know. I love it!

#60463 - 08/25/05 01:49 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Y'all are making me feel better about my "hair vanity." When I got my cancer diagnosis, I figured I was going to lose my hair during treatment, so I quit having it highlighted and quit getting it cut. Well, IT NEVER FELL OUT! Now, I have truly two-tone hair. I'm talking about "roots" that are about 4 inches down my head, and at the longest point my hair is more than halfway down my back.
These days, I've convinced myself that I have to leave it long, because I still can't really use my right arm too well following shoulder surgery. I just bend over, grab it all up in a banana clip and call it done. The thing is...since I managed to keep it all, I just haven't been able to get up the nerve to have it cut or colored, so it really is looking pretty bad. I figure while I'm still stuck at home recovering, I won't bother with it. Once I'm forced to face the world again, however, I'll get it taken care of. Hmm...I need to ask DH when his office Christmas party will be [Wink]

#60464 - 08/25/05 06:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
TVC15 Offline

I've never heard of one called Bone Marrow. I'm going to look for it. Do you think they sell it at Ulta or do I need to get it at a salon?

Hey fifty I don't blame you for not touching it. I'm glad it didn't fall out on you.

#60465 - 08/25/05 06:59 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Fifty, mind telling us more about your recovery. I amy have missed something, but I think this is the first time you've mentioned your cancer and shoulder surgery. If you don't want to share, that's fine. I pray you remain well.

#60466 - 08/25/05 08:01 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I buy it at a salon. I'll get the maker when I can limp downstairs.

#60467 - 08/25/05 10:48 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
TVC15 Offline

Dianne, No rush. I must have missed something too. I hope you are okay? Why are you limping?

#60468 - 08/25/05 11:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

http://www.zotos.com/msds_lamaur.asp

It's made by LAMAUR. Their link is above.

I fell and rolled down the driveway last night. It's under the body thread here. It's so embarrassing.

#60469 - 08/26/05 12:02 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
TVC15 Offline

Thanks Dianne.
I'm sorry to hear that you injured yourself. Don't be embarrassed, it happens. One year on Christmas eve, I fell right when we got to the party we were attending. I scratched a good pair of boots and ripped my pants at the knee. That was embarrassing!
Hope you are feeling better soon!

#60470 - 08/27/05 01:19 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Fiftyandfine, I lost all my hair during chemo. Before that, I wore it long, straight and parted down the middle forever. I find we all get kinda too precious about our hair, but after chemo you realize that no matter what stupid things you do, it'll grow back again so lighten up! And I had a bright purple wig during chemo. Purple is definitely "me".

#60471 - 08/28/05 12:33 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Meredith- we are too precious about our hair-Mine has been driving me crazy- it winds around my throat and drips all over- maybe it's finally time for LOCKS OF LOVE-
Once you face life's real issues it's all just other stuff!!

#60472 - 08/28/05 03:26 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!

#60473 - 08/29/05 08:40 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
It looks like many of us have longer hair. My hair has almost always been long and whenever I get it cut shorter, I hate it on me. I like shorter hair on other people, but I have a lot of hair, but it's fine and just lays flat. It's a little wavy, but I wear it straight when it's not too humid.

I also sometimes wonder if I'm too old to wear my hair long. I also wonder if I'm too old to have Led Zeppelin blasting in my car. Then I think.....NO WAY!
Daisygirl

#60474 - 08/30/05 12:12 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
leigha Offline

Loc: british columbia
Dear Fifty

I hope you are well...sometimes when we change our hair it can help lift our spirits, sort of refresh us. Many times it's a great thing to look different only so we don't reassociate with the past...when you see a new you, you see a new future but most of all it's important to just be at peace with oneself and see change as fun.

With love
Leigha

#60475 - 08/30/05 12:19 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
leigha Offline

With regard to hair.....

In the nineties, I had my hair chopped off like a marine's haircut , only a little bit longer. Chopped off my entire past. Bad marriage, terror of dying from poisoning. For twenty years it had been long, down my back almost to the waist and a golden brown.

Seven years later after the chop, I went back to blonde and now it's down my back, somewhat layered and wild, like a free spirit.

It's important to feel who you are...in that knowing your appearance will reflect the beauty within. HOW WE LOOK....is really about how we feel. So feel beautiful ladies...that's all that's important.

How others see us....that's just what we've been taught that's important. What's more important is how we see us.

So grab your mirrors ladies and enjoy you. Play ...that is what life is truly about, creating joy and running with it!

With love
Leigha

#60476 - 08/30/05 12:29 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
leigha Offline

Dear Daisygirl

Led Zeppelin! How about David Bowie!...Jim Morrison!...Hendrix! Genesis! Mick Jagger and the Stones! Wow!

Music is the life of the soul...moving through us like the wind and the memories...the freedom of spirit...never ends...so why should the music end or the hair be cut short?

You're a woman after my own heart Daisygirl! A free spirit...it never ends...the music, the freedom to be who you are!

Does the soul age, does the spirit age?..No..it just gets beaten down by boxed attitudes and other people's opinions and oppressive behaviour, if we let it!

Born to be wild! The spirit free as the heart, soaring like the eagle...Zeppelin, Bowie, Hendrix, Morrison the Stones and countless others. They all knew...their music spoke to the spirit, to freedom, to the breaking of perceptions in little boxes.

The gift of life to express who we are without fear of castigation or rejection, the strength to be the beautiful essence that chooses to express itself freely. Now that's power!

With love
Leigha

#60477 - 08/30/05 12:32 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
leigha Offline

Dear Dianne

Hope you are all right! Pamper yourself Dianne...have some fun. Having a fall just represents being out of balance momentarily! And wow...hold onto that long hair Dianne, sounds great! What's wrong with hippies...love and peace!

With love
Leigha

#60478 - 08/30/05 12:52 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I'm slowly recovering but still very bruised and my daughter is still laughing out loud about my dive down the driveway and ending up in a bush. She's telling all of her friends. I've got to attend a wedding in MN next week so I hope the bruises are gone by then. I can't wear a dress or skirt my knee is so gross looking. Takes the body longer to heal as we age.

Nothing wrong with hippies!

#60479 - 08/30/05 06:16 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
leigha Offline

Dear Dianne

Arnica cream helps the body heal. My naturopathic doctor says it's great for sports remedies, bruises, etc. Vitamin c is great too for repair.

You can also take the homeopathic remedy for shock, but make sure you get the arnica that can be taken internally, if you're interested. But only take about 5 or 6 drops. The bottles usually say 14 drops...You have to be careful taking arnica internally because too much can really mess you up. It's best to see a naturopath so you can know how sensitive you are.
Enjoy the wedding Dianne!

With love
Leigha

#60480 - 08/31/05 11:56 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Ask Dutchy Offline

Loc: Rochester , Washington
Hair style is something I can't explain.

I hate going to any salon now days, you never know who is going to cut your hair.

I have always had this standing rule, if I don't like the hair of the person who is walking out of the salon, I don't let that hairdresser cut my hair! I am very firm in regards to this rule!

Unfortunatly I have never had the guts to carry my rule out. Two weeks ago a lady walked out of the salon, I thought well...her hair isn't too bad. So I got my hair cut....THE EXACT SAME WAY!!! Only I am pretty sure I described something that looked much different.

I was told that I could wear my hair a number of different ways. Reality, I can wear it one way. And I hate it. And the only good thing about the ladies hair that walked out as I was coming in......was that she was blind and will not be able to see how it looks. [Smile]

#60481 - 08/31/05 06:27 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
quote:
Originally posted by leigha:
With regard to hair.....It's important to feel who you are...in that knowing your appearance will reflect the beauty within. HOW WE LOOK....is really about how we feel. So feel beautiful ladies...that's all that's important.

So grab your mirrors ladies and enjoy you. Play ...that is what life is truly about, creating joy and running with it!

Leigha, I had missed this. I avoided this thread altogether precisely because of my lifelong battle with my hair. It's wild. And about as rumpled and unmanageable as I usually feel my mind and spirit are! It's useless to even try to tame the hair...the more I try, the worse it looks. And your words made me think about how it seems to be the same with my mind and spirit...the more I try to tame them, the more un-me I feel I become!

Leigha, I really like your posts; this one in particular really spoke to me. It won't make much difference with my hair (only my hairdresser seems to be able to do that), but I like the idea of playing with who I am...playing with this wild mind and spirit, creating joy within who I truly am, rather than constantly trying to battle against the wind in futile attempts to tame it.

#60482 - 08/31/05 06:39 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Ask Dutchy, I can so relate to those qualms about going to hair salons. I searched my entire adult life for someone who could do something with my hair. It's wild and unmanageable, and every hairdresser would try something "unique", and, well, let's just say I rarely ever went back to the same hairdresser twice. Until I stumbled into the salon I go to now and found my Donka.

Donka was the only hairdresser available that first day I tried this salon. And she worked magic on my hair. It not only looked good the day after, but looked fabulous WEEKS after. That was six years ago, and she has since seen me through job interviews, my wedding, Christmas parties, my book launch, book signings and TV appearance.

I'm much poorer now than I was back then, and can't really afford her anymore. But hubby and I decided that Donka was the one "luxury" we would hold onto...she's more than just a hairdresser now. She's a friend, confidante and gives the most amazing head massages! I just couldn't face the thought of trying to find another hairdresser. So I just don't go as often now.

I wish everyone could find their own "Donka"...maybe it seems shallow and insignificant in the larger scheme of things, but it does make an amazing difference to me when she makes this wild hair look so good.

BTW, I FOTFL (fell on the floor laughing) at your last line...

[ August 31, 2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#60483 - 08/31/05 10:04 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
leigha Offline

Dear Eagle Heart

That's freedom Eagle, becoming who you are, constantly evolving, stepping out of all the little boxes in the mind that says you have to be a certain way. It's one heck of a journey isn't it...sometimes like a wild roller coaster ride... but what a ride!

The spirit doesn't want to be tamed! And that's the best gift of all...following the freedom of the spirit for it truly knows the journey that will fulfill you...however that journey shows up.

Sometimes we think it has to be all roses without the thorns but sometimes it's the thorns that bring about the most amazing experiences...being able the feel the heart and soul...the yearning for a life of freedom...the spirit wild and unbroken... the heart broken...pushing barriers never before pushed.

To actually live life! However it shows up...with no control, no blocks, willing to experience every moment to the fullest...to feel ourselves to the fullest...however that shows up...whatever we feel...it doesn't matter because we are just in acceptance of the life force and our forward movement...testing new ideas...playing with the mind...finding the core within.

Now that's a journey! A wild ride of the soul and spirit! I'm with you on that one Eagle Heart!

Thank you for your lovely comments Eagle...they touched my heart!

With love
Leigha

#60484 - 09/13/05 06:46 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
KateRyan2012 Offline

Loc: Southeastern US
I am so glad that this discussion came up--it has been a bone of contention for me for a long time. Basically, all of the women in my family who are older than me had to deal with prematurely graying hair that was pure white by their mid 40s. Because the styles were different when they were young and early middle agers, all of them have or had what I would call "Granny style" hair. As I look back at old photos, my great-grandmothers and grandmothers all had old-lady hair beginning in their early to mid 40s! My mother followed their pattern--she has ALWAYS had very short, very old lady styled hair, and she was salt and pepper in her late 20s, gray in her 30s, and white haired in her 40s and beyond. OK--all of this history to explain why I am completely rebelling from the "hair history" of my family! I began noticing a few grays here and there in my 20s, but they were subtle so I either ignored them or pulled them out(my hair is dark brown, so they can really stand out). In my 30s, it got worse and worse, so I began coloring my gray, but never really got very adventurous with color(chose medium to dark brown). All this time I kept my hair fairly long with some layers around my face. Now, in my 40s, I am seeing more and more gray, and I have to color my roots more and more often. I still like to keep my hair fairly long and layered--to me it looks so much more youthful when longer. As my natural hair color becomes more and more white, I will probably color it lighter and lighter until I end up being a blonde. I was blonde as a child, it darkened in my teens, and I was a brunette adult until it began to gray. I can see that one day it will no longer be brown naturally, but white. BUT, instead of going white, I guess I will go blonde. I am now at the age when my mother, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers had gray or pure white hair and kept their hair very short, permed, and old lady style. I feel that I look SO much younger than they did at this age, simply because of hair styles and hair color. My mother still follows the old lady hair creed--goes and gets her white hair "done" at a salon every week or so, and does not EVER wash and style it herself, and avoids many things in life because she doesn't want to get her hair wet and mess it up--she gets it cut short and gets perms just like her mother and grandmothers did. SO, when we discuss this issue, we are not even in the same book, much less the same page. I just do not get her generation and the generations before her, and she does not get mine. According to my mother, white hair makes you wise and looking and acting elderly is something to be desired--the wisdom of age, I suppose--she says that she wears her white hair proudly(and has done so since her late 30s/early 40s). I, on the other hand, am fighting the aging process full force, at least as far as my hair is concerned. I would absolutely HATE to have my hair white and in a short granny style!! I can't imagine going to get my hair whitened, cut short, permed, etc. I can't imagine living in fear of getting my hair wet and not being able to get it fixed until next week. I am SO glad our generation does not do this!! I just don't understand the concepts of "the old lady hair creed". Here's to young-looking hair!!!

#60485 - 09/14/05 07:18 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by KateRyan2012:
I feel that I look SO much younger than they did at this age, simply because of hair styles and hair color. My mother still follows the old lady hair creed--goes and gets her white hair "done" at a salon every week or so, and does not EVER wash and style it herself, and avoids many things in life because she doesn't want to get her hair wet and mess it up--she gets it cut short and gets perms just like her mother and grandmothers did. SO, when we discuss this issue, we are not even in the same book, much less the same page. I just do not get her generation and the generations before her, and she does not get mine. According to my mother, white hair makes you wise and looking and acting elderly is something to be desired--the wisdom of age, I suppose--she says that she wears her white hair proudly(and has done so since her late 30s/early 40s). I, on the other hand, am fighting the aging process full force, at least as far as my hair is concerned. I would absolutely HATE to have my hair white and in a short granny style!! I can't imagine going to get my hair whitened, cut short, permed, etc. I can't imagine living in fear of getting my hair wet and not being able to get it fixed until next week. I am SO glad our generation does not do this!! I just don't understand the concepts of "the old lady hair creed". Here's to young-looking hair!!!

What a great post. I totally agree that we look younger than our mom's did at the same age. And you are right...it's the hair thing. My mom did the hair salon weekly, hair coloring, no shampooing, no getting hair wet, etc. too. I remember all that from when we were kids. But...she got a little hip with age. She went to her natural color which was brown with hardly any grey. She got mod hair cuts, shed the perms, and looked younger as she aged. Weird what hair can do, isn't it?

[ September 13, 2005, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#60486 - 09/14/05 07:24 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Daisygirl Offline

Kate, I feel the same as you. Women from my h.s. class have the permed, tight short hair. It's not like they are stuck in the decade they grew up in, it's like they are stuck in the 1950's! I grew up in the 70's and remember wearing my hair long and since it is wavy, even ironing it.

My hairstyle is not intended to make me look younger. I'm continuing to do what I've always done: keep up with the times and fashions to a certain extent, since I'm not into fads. I've been coloring my hair for a long time and do not intend to quit just because I'm getting older. I will probably always have longer hair (to my shoulders), but I may end up wearing it up more as I get older.

If someone wants to have gray hair, I think that it can look very attractive, but they should have it styled in a flattering and current style that suits their lifestyle.

#60487 - 09/15/05 01:02 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
judym Offline

Loc: AL
well, golly Diane, the short stuff goes with the sweaty head that happens so often at first. I hate even to put product in my hair, it gets all gluey when the personal summers begin. I would Love to have the hair I used to have. Short is the way to go for the time being, but I am with you it kind of is a badge of time for women of a certain age!!

#60488 - 09/15/05 01:57 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Daisygirl Offline

Well, my hair is usually pulled up with a hair clip just to get it off my neck. I've been wearing it more natural because when I use a hair dryer, I start sweating and it stays wet!

#60489 - 09/15/05 02:20 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Ok, take a look at my picture. I have short gray hair. I have no choice. It decided on it's own that it wouldn't take color any more and it wouldn't take perm either. So I've got what I've got. It used to be thick, but it's straight as a stick. Now it's a little thinner but I like it this way cause it's so easy to manage.

my 2 cents worth.

#60490 - 09/15/05 03:42 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have my gray, also. It just came gradually, and everyone commented how nice it looked! HA!! Actually, my gray is basically around my face - the back still auburn.

I'm trying to let the layers grow - after wearing it very short for many years. Only, now I have these quirky cowlicks in places that weren't there before.

I wish I had a dime for every hair-style magazine I've stood and paged through - hoping to find something appropriate for gray - wonder when someone will wake up and realize that we are a mighty large market out here - dying for someone to help us find our new 'style.' Has anyone tried to buy clothes lately?

#60491 - 09/15/05 04:33 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Wondered, if I was the only one experiencing the "quirky" cowlicks, and no they were not there before. Good fairy must be slapping them on when.... I do sleep.
Where is my worst cowlick? You guessed it...front bangs. [Roll Eyes]

Durning early summer I had light blond frosting added to my hair. Thought it would hide the grey & white hairs popping up. Popping up...looks like someone has scared the daylights out of me. Keep telling my boys they did it. Hee-hee.
My grandmother never had a grey hair one, it would have been nice to have followed suit.

Sorry to report, I have not bought one outfit this year. Walk and look and look...haven't seen one "gotta-have" thing on the racks.
Gotta wonder, if they are sending teenagers to buy for the women's dept.???

[Smile]

#60492 - 09/15/05 05:02 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Brenda ,

I had jet black hair growning up and at sixteen I saw one gray hair and then it really started after I had my daughter and not sure why . I have read thyroid problems make gray hair . I had surgery on a thryord cyst last year and still have my right lobe and normal thyroid reading . So, not sure where I got it only from mother maybe .

I hate my gray hair which the hairdresser said it is white under all that color . For which I keep at a dark brown now. Clothes did not look good with my gray hair and I thought I looked like grandma smith ,but I couldn't she had jet black hair when she died and so did my father . I look at least I have been told I look 10 yrs younger . Hurray for me! I lost 20 pds and that helped me out a good bit . I went to the outlet and got new clothes this summer . Donated the old clothes to the hospital sale. That was a good thing.

I have seen some very pretty gray hair . My white hair looks like my 94 yr old mother now . My mother wanted me to color my hair . She did hers for a long time.

Just some thought on this .

[ September 14, 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#60493 - 09/15/05 06:56 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
yepthatsme2 Offline

Nancy50, you learn something new everyday. Who would have thought grey hair and thyroid?
My eldest daughter has a goiter. Believe it or not... doctors, take the blood test and tell her everything's fine.
My youngest daughter has Hashimotos, at first they thought Graves. Same with her, has symptoms gets blood test, shows nothing, so they do nothing.
Thyroid runs in my family, mother had it, as does my brother.
Had my doctor check for me, but the blood test showed no. Am I surprised?
Was reading on-line yesterday about thyroid testing article that said...

You take an old-fashioned mercury-type thermometer and shake it down and put it on the nightstand before going to bed (shake it down to below 95 degrees). In the morning on awakening, before arising or moving around, put the thermometer under armpit for 10 minutes. If temp is below 97.8, the person likely needs thyroid or, if they're on thyroid, they need more thyroid. The temp should be between 97.8-98.2.

Not sure the regular medical doc's are willing to except this.
They don't accept to much, unless confimed by blood testing.
Makes me want to jump up and down and throw tantrums. [Mad]

Well, I see my meno symptoms are alive and well with me this morning...I have already took the hairstyle forum and turned it into thyroid. [Eek!]

#60494 - 09/15/05 08:27 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Sadie Offline

Hey, Brenda ,
You might be on to something . After surgery I lost those 20 pounds and don't like a lot of the same foods anymore . I not a big dessert eater anymore still crave watermelon and not sure why . I can't stand anything too close to my neck where I had surgery . I had grained a lot of weight with the cyst goitor I had . Maybe I will try the test . I wonder about my T3 level .

My mother had thyroid surgery in the 1950"s the same place as mine . In the genes I guess .

Thanks

#60495 - 12/29/05 04:35 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Bunnylady Offline

Loc: Georgetown, TX
I liked the new version of the flip that came out- wore it like that thru my early 50's- I moved and found a new stylist who does precision razor cuts- I took her a picture and she did real good getting close to the idea of what I wanted- short and spiky- and blond highlights- no gray yet- will highlight as long as I can- I use Redken Water Wax to shape and spike- the haircut made me feel so young I went on a diet and bought myself a COACH handbag- now I got the hair- got to get the body back

#60496 - 12/29/05 04:47 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
yepthatsme2 Offline

Welcome Bunnylady...

Week before Christmas I'm in the mall, walking by the hair salon, so I go in...already I've got this feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something is telling me...don't do it.

Did I listen? No, I did not...now I've got this lop sided something or other. My hair is really thick, think alot of stylists have trouble cutting thick hair.
About the only think I can do right now is spike my hair. [Roll Eyes]
When will I ever learn?

Wanted to welcome you...all the women here are very supportive and helpful.

Do need to warn you that you will find yourself her daily.

#60497 - 12/29/05 06:44 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hairstyles...yuck. Mine is about four colors...blond, gray, silver and reddish highlights. My head looks like a foxes tail 'cept the rest of me isn't as sleek.

A friend just had her hair cut in a "helix cut" and that's what I want...except they don't do that around here. What they do do around here costs $7 if you wash it yourself and $12 if they have to wash it. o joy...not.

I really, really, really like a great haircut. I don't color my hair except for sometimes, just for grins and giggles, I'll put in purple and orange highlights that wash out. I just really like a nice haircut. Dave and Daddy were talking about getting haircuts and Dave said he was paying twenty bucks for a haircut. Daddy stared at him and said, "TWENTY BUCKS! I only pay $2.50 for my haircut." Dave looked at him and said, "yes, and it looks like it." They bothed laughed because it's true...Daddy's head looks like sidewalls on a 56 Caddy but hey! he's happy so what do I care?

So...anyone know where I can get a helix cut in driving distance of nowwhere?

#60498 - 06/07/06 07:37 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
"A young guy asked me one time, why do women always cut their hair in these menopausal haircuts when they get older?"

I've wondered the same thing! I can't tell you how many times I've seen a woman who had perfectly nice hair(in a cut that was flattering and worked with her hair texture)get it all cut off in one of these sexless, "no-nonsense" type of haircuts in a misguided tactic of saying that their vanity no longer matters at menopause. True, beauty is different in at various stages of life, but we are still women, even without our periods! There's a difference however between the no-nonsense cuts and an appealing short cut.
The term "age-appropriate" haircut or style of dress for that matter just makes me want to scream! As far as what is actually appropriate, that is an individual matter - some people really do look better in shorter hair, others can have long, and fortunately there are plenty of beautiful hairstyles available in all lengths - find the one that works with your hair texture, features, overall style and go with that.
Personally, I do my own color(a rich coppery brown, no generic blonde for me)and I have a haircutter that knows how to deal with naturally-curly hair - my hair skims shoulder-length at the bottom layers, and the other layers frame my face. Some drugstore gel, and scrunching, and I'm good to go! I get tons of compliments too - have referred several folks to my cutter!

#60499 - 06/07/06 06:56 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
My hair is highlighted by God ...ggg... and it's blonde, silver, white and gray. I use a blueing shampoo and the cut is in a bob/old fashioned page boy that I can shampoo, towel dry and finger comb.

Sometimes I'll streak in some purple or orange highlights, that wash out, just for grins. In the past decade plus, I've gotten away from using blow driers, hot curlers, curling irons and my hair is in the best shape ever.

I don't think it makes any difference how old a woman is and what her hair looks like as long as she feels like a million bucks!

#60500 - 06/08/06 07:50 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have finally learned to embrace my hair after years of fighting it. I have natural curly hair & it has always had a mind of its' own. When I was jr. high age, I covered my hair with dippy-do and rolled it up with extra large hair rollers to try to get my hair straighter. Then in high school, I ironed it! Yep, my friend would comb my hair out on an ironing board and iron it for me. With that method, I had stick straight hair with split ends....and it stayed straight until I would go out in the humidity. What can I say, I was young and dumb. [Roll Eyes] Next, blow drying the hair days came with the big round brush to help style the hair. Awww, the Farrah Fawcett look....remember that! Anyhoo, that was me fighting my curls forever it seemed like. My husband never could figure out why I fought my curls so much. He likes my curly hair and said to me that women pay big bucks to have curls like I have....Yeah, yeah,whatever! So one day no so long ago, I made an annoucement to him that I was going all natural because I was tired of fighting with this hair. He said, "Good! Does that also mean you are going to quit coloring your hair and wearing make-up too?" ......Hey let's not jump off a cliff here, pal! [Big Grin]

#60501 - 06/07/06 08:03 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I have 'stick' straight hair and kept it short and permed for years. It is now long( to my bra strap) and I had it hilighted red and blonde streaks because I wanted it that way. Well, seems the young uns like it and a 21 yr old girl at work said "I hope you don't mind, I liked your hair so much I asked my friend to do mine like it". I alsolike the pig tails that are hanging from the center back of the head. Anyone else?
chick

#60502 - 06/07/06 10:00 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
cara4art Offline

Hi Cookie!
I went through similar tactics when I was younger about my hair-LOL! What a trip! What really changed that was when I found that it took a solid half-hour to blow dry my below shoulder-length hair(I was in my mid-20's at the time)and I was up for re-thinking my hair. A magazine at the time had a feature article on "free hair" - with naturally-curly people who finally embraced their natural texture with an appropriate cut by someone who knows how to deal with curly hair. One of the women in the article had similar hair texture to mine, and looked like a million bucks in the after photo! The salon featured in the article was in NYC where I was living at the time. I basically ran to the phone and set up an appointment right away. I was a bit apprehensive at first, by my cutter started with just snipping a bit in front - voila, instant, beautiful loose curls - I have never looked back since. Into the trash went my big rollers and hairdryer. To this day I don't use a dryer or any other heat-styling stuff. Color is the only thing I do(as I mentioned above), and with scrunching gel, I'm good!

#60503 - 06/08/06 12:00 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
If I didn't color, I'd be totally gray! First I paid to have it colored (weave) and then it grew too expensive so I started doing it myself. But... I gave up and went yesterday to get it done again and the color looks great.

Regarding cuts, I have a tendency to let mine grow out, then I get it into layers because it's so boring, and don't like the layers, so I let it grow out again. I'm in the grow out stage now... [Smile]

#60504 - 06/08/06 05:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Cookie Offline

Cara, you are so lucky to have found someone who knows how to cut curly hair. I'm jealous. [Big Grin]

#60505 - 06/09/06 04:42 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I have naturally curly hair and went through it all during the 60's and 70's. Everyone with straight hair loves it because they pay for it. I was a carrot-top but age has taken some color out so I throw on a little auburn to keep it interesting. It goes with my green eyes and freckles.

Reading your posts, I'm worried I have a menopausal haircut. How do I know?

#60506 - 06/09/06 03:56 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Daisygirl Offline

Saundra, I also have wavy hair that I straighten sometimes and it used to be auburn. It has faded quite a bit and I also color, but the color I use is lightest golden brown. It turns a little redder after being in the sun. I've tried the auburns, but they make my hair look too too fake.

Does the humidity affect your hair? There's no way I can wear it straight when it's humid.

As for menapausal hair, I think it's the short, permed stiff teased up bob. A woman I know has that look and she went to my salon, got it fixed really cute, but she went directly home and started teasing and spraying - she ended up with the same look she had. Look in the fashion and hairstyle magazines to get an idea. I've worn my hair almost the same for many years, I don't want a super trendy look either.

Daisygirl

[ June 09, 2006, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Daisygirl ]

#60507 - 06/10/06 12:10 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Cookie Offline

You all do anything special to manage your natural curls other than wash, gel, and go? I use to cuss at mine sometimes, but that just seemed to make my hair curlier! [Big Grin]

#60508 - 06/10/06 03:29 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Saundra Offline

I am fortunate that my haircutter knows how to cut curly hair. I put nothing on it because I don't like the way those things make my hair feel. I recognize that I have no control and I'm over it. I work outside so you can imagine what these hot humid days do to me (95 today). I let others deal with how I look - I can't see myself at work so it doesn't bother me.

#60509 - 06/10/06 05:50 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
The grass is always greener huh? Mines straight as a board and I'd love curls too! I also wish I could wear my hair super short. Some people look so cute that way. I've got a square/roundish face and I don't like how I look with short hair, makes my face look big. I think women start cutting their hair at this age because its easier and we get tired of it. I'm pretty active and it would be nice to hope in and out of the shower and just run my hands through my hair. (Mines long, auburn, and I color it myself).

#60510 - 06/10/06 06:15 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I too have a square face and have been in the process of growing it into something for over a year now. I have a picture of Diane Keaton (who also has a square face) that I drag along to every hair cut, but for some reason, I never come out looking like the picture.... I especially liked her hair in the movie "as good as it get's"

I have 90% gray and wouldn't go back to the rat race of coloring for anything. But, I have a few quirky cowlics that drive my stylist nuts (which is why I'm still in the process of growing it out. She keeps cutting the cowlic off and I'm back to square one...

#60511 - 06/11/06 06:48 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sounds like thats your problem browser57. That or you need a new stylist, this one seems to have reached her peek with your hair.

#60512 - 06/11/06 10:06 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
santababy Offline

Loc: Lorain, Ohio
I think I probably have a menopausal hair style too. I have been trying to get a new doo-
. I found this web site where you can pick your face type and they will tell you what styles you should use. You can even up load your own picture to do it.It is called a virtual hairstylist. I color, I'm not ready to go the gray route yet, maybe when I have horrible arthritis I will.
I really don't care about what others think as long as I'm happy with it.

#60513 - 06/12/06 04:00 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Ever since hot flashes, my hair has been a nightmare. I have really thick hair and I can remember as a little girl crying when my mom would brush it and try to get the tangles out.

After having my hair short for nearly ten years, I was finally able to grow it out. I hesitated because I had always heard this about a woman in the mid thirties and up, "A woman that age shouldn't have long hair". Or "a woman that age doesn't look good with long hair". Well, I don't agree with that.

Either I need to have it short or keep putting it in a ponytail because I sweat all the time now. Unfortunately, the ponytail gives me a headache eventually.

I would really like to cut it to where it's at the shoulder with a style to it. Only problem with that, I would have to blow dry it and style it and that would be a nightmare now.

I choose not to color it as well, and I have a salt and pepper type color. My daughter is constantly trying to get me to color my hair. I just don't want to have to deal with the chemicals. Plus I earned the salt part.

Cheers,
Cathi

#60514 - 06/12/06 08:50 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
cara4art Offline

to Optimumsteps: If you get your hair cut at the length you are thinking of, to avoid the dreaded blow-drying etc., look at some pictures of hairstyles that feature the same texture of hair that you have(straight, wavy, curly, mixed, kinky, etc.)and really explain to your haircutter that you don't want to have to go through a song and dance just to "style" your hair. If they are worth their salt, they will cut your hair so you can go with alot less fuss. Since you say your hair is very thick(be blessed - so-o many people at menopause have the OPPOSITE problem!)if it is also wavy, some longish layers would ease the weight, and look good, too. Towel-drying, and working some or styling creme through the hair, and you're good. IMO, if you have to struggle with your hair just to get it presentable, you've got the wrong cut for your texture! BTW, are you addressing the hot flashes? Sounds awful to be that hot ALL the time!

#60515 - 06/13/06 01:37 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Saundra Offline

I once worked for a woman who told me that a short haircut is the last step before a facelift.

#60516 - 06/13/06 09:46 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Wisdom&Life Offline

Wow thanks cara4art, I am quite surprised that my hair hasn't thinned out by now. In fact, it seems thicker than ever. I think the vitamin supplements that I've been taking most of my adult life has contributed to that. I have had hot flashes for 4 years now. I had a hysterectomy then and that is what triggered the menopause.

My problem has been finding the right person to do my hair. My experience has been either butchering it or someone that's afraid to even touch my hair.

I am going to write down your suggestion, and thanks again.

Saundra, that is funny. See I wanted the long hair so I can put it up in a ponytail. I was hoping that would give me a facelift and an eyelift. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked that way, LOL.

Cheers,
Cathi

#60517 - 06/14/06 10:21 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Everyone who hasn't seen me in a few years tells me how nice the color is coming in on my salt & pepper (maybe 70/30% now). I choose to believe them, although it's hard to get used to my hair being so light.

Mostly I cut my own hair but about every 2 years I splurge and have it done professionally. Last year I walked into a Hollywood salon and got a stylist who had a multi-colored mohawk. No, I didn't get the same [Roll Eyes] But I wanted something a little less middle-aged suburban lady. He said my bangs were "stiff" and did an interesting feathered layered bang look, which I can't do myself so I'm back to my Bettie Paige '50s chop. He also buzzed down the sides pretty short, which was good as it was July.

I'm leaving for NY in 36 hours and am trying to control myself to not do anything weird with my hair before I leave. I'd get a NY do but I think I'm out of money after travel expenses and gifts for Mom and the rest of the family.

#60518 - 06/15/06 04:00 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

How exciting for you Meredith to be going to NY. I hope you have a safe journey and a wonderful, interesting yet restful time. Can't wait to hear all the news when you return. Is hubby going too?

#60519 - 07/14/06 04:01 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

I had to laugh while reading through these posts. My mom is one of those ladies who believes in the 'short and permed' look. Once I turned 40, she kept telling me I should cut my hair (at that time it was long, red, and permed) because it was unbecoming to me as an 'older woman.' Of course I didn't listen!

I do remember as a teenager and into early 20s rolling my hair on empty orange juice cans. How did we ever sleep in those things? LOL

I did get it cut short after my divorce and instantly regretted it. My hair is baby fine and thin and I always thought it was straight. Now I've let it grow and discovered it has a really nice wave to it.

I was lucky to find a stylist who also has fine, thin hair. And she loves to play with color. Now my hair is mostly red (not auburn!) with chunks of blonde and black. I love the way it looks. I have also colored the blonde chunks with a temporary color on occasion - fuschia, purple, red, hot pink, whatever is really bright. She loves experimenting, and so do I!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#60520 - 07/16/06 02:32 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

And they thought we were daring in our youth! Yonuh, I'd love to see a photo of you. Do you have one online with your new hairdo?

#60521 - 07/16/06 02:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
yonuh Offline

I have no photos of my current self, Dotsie. I was always the photographer for the family, so I have very few photos of me at all.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#60522 - 07/29/06 02:32 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: yepthatsme2]
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
My mother sent me a ponytail of my hair from who knows when?
Like, I wasn't around her much, so when did she ever get it?

I have been wearing mine short, short. Last year I buzzed it, .5 inch all over. LOVED IT. But now I see I need more fluff, not so austere looking, so I am growing it...again. *groan*
I have thick hair, thicker if I use my shampoo. So I alternate between store bought and mine.
I use my own Sea Buckthorn Hair Therapy for conditioner and hair growth.

But, I cut it short 'after, during, while' menopause because by then, I am sick to death of doing whatever how I look for someone else. Not that I've ever really done that, but a little I did. Hubby liked long hair, so I kept it long when we married. Then in a fight, I put it in a pony tail and cut it off. I secretly had wanted too for some time, this was a good reason...to tick him off. LOL

But it's hot here. And I can't STAND hair in my face and I get heat stroke, so having hair on my neck is not an option in the summer. Howsomever, there are tons of women here, who work INSIDE mind you, that have long hair. However, they don't go camping, [they have rv's], they don't go fishing [perish the thought] and they stay inside all the time.
I'll see how long I can stand to get it. and I'll cut if off around shoulder length, to have enough to put in a banana clip hopefully, but at least to pull that stuff off me in a clip. I'm just tired of clips and stuff. Why not just cut it off?

Last summer I colored mine bright red. LOL I loved it, but thought others might think I was one of those old women that do girly things.

I do NOT want to be seen as that. However, I am more the Auntie Mame type.

Janine Marie

#60523 - 07/30/06 10:59 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: JaMaPh]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You sould like our lady Meredith who did hers purple once, God love her. She is certainly no follower or worrier about what people think. I have mine cut as short as possible right now and it is so easy to manage and looks cute if I must say so myself....I fussed with my very long hair all my life and that was plenty. Now give me comfort and convenience and I am a happy camper....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#60524 - 07/31/06 04:46 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Pattyann]
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
I change my style and color A LOT in various short lengths. Last time a grew it long, my hair was limp and not great, after a lifetime of thick and full. I think the stress of recent years has taken a toll on my hair.

#60525 - 04/18/07 02:21 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: flipperjo]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

#60526 - 04/18/07 02:57 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Pam Kimmel I sure hope you are still out there! In one of the origianl posts on hairstyles you mentioned getting a body perm. I used to be able to get body perms all the time. Now the hairdressers (I've asked at several different places) all look at me like I'm from another planet. They keep telling me there's no such thing! I know I used to get body perms. They are not like a regular perm at all--they just give light wave and body. Now all I seem to be able to get is kinky perms--I hate them! Do you know what brand you used? Can you shed any light on where to find these days? Signed....Waveless in Washington

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#60527 - 04/18/07 05:17 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: starting over]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

So,
I use to get body waves (body perms) all the time. You are so right, there IS such a thing. Have you "googled" it?

ps--I'll see if Pam has time to drop by and answer the question!

Edited by jawjaw (04/18/07 05:17 PM)

#60528 - 04/18/07 08:48 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: jawjaw]
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Waveless in Washington (tee hee)....I had the body perm back in 2005 and it was done in a salon. I have no idea what brand they used but they definitely gave me one. If you have a good hair stylist who will LISTEN (you know how some of them won't let you do what you want to do to your own hair!!), let her know that you don't want a "full blown" kinky perm - just a light wave and body. I bet they can use regular perm solution and leave it on for a VERY SHORT time and get a similar effect. I really wasn't aware the day of the body perm was gone - but there are ways around that I would think.....I have so little hair these days (after chemo) that I wouldn't dare risk any kind of perm but as soon as I get some back I'm going to see if I can get another body perm. The other thing I've done - although not in the last year - is keep my hair colored because that thickens my hair follicles enough to give me some great body without any kind of perm.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!! Let us know how this turns out will ya?

#60529 - 04/19/07 03:45 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: Pam Kimmell]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

#60530 - 04/19/07 12:31 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I can't answer that, but I DID do a "google" (my answer for everything) and here are some facts I picked up. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I thought these were interesting. Yes?

We naturally lose about 100 hairs a day so if you are losing more than this, it is something that should be looked into. Please don't worry. An apparent increase in hair loss is a very common experience and will normally settle down. Stress is one of the main contributory factors. Anyway, there is some factors that attribute hair shedding:

* It has been documented that selenium sulfide (the active ingredient in selsun blue) causes hair loss;

*Do you have thyroid problem? Thyroid can also be reason for hair loss, so be sure to have the condition looked at.

*Are you over-processing your hair ie. coloring, bleaching, perming and straightening, if done improperly, can cause hair to break off or fall out, and you'll have to wait for healthy hair to grow back in. Frequent relaxing using a hot comb can cause permanent hair loss.

*Are you taking any certain drugs except ur multivitamin?Check your multivitamin whether it contains iron,zinc,vitaminB,C,E,copper.Those help prevent hair loss and greying. Certain drugs can also take their toll on once flourishing and healthy tresses. However, these conditions are usually temporary, the hair shedding stops and healthy re-growth occurs with time.

If you find that suddenly your hair is falling out in handfuls, it would be a good idea to mention the fact to the doctor or a dermatologist.

#60531 - 04/19/07 12:43 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: jawjaw]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I didn't know people still got perms, thats how far out of the loop I am.

I used to buzz my hair and spike it up in the front when I drove a semi. I'm tiny and wore a lot of leather and denim so I looked somewhat like that gal on the Eurythmics or like Sharon Stone did for a while. I got a lot of comments that I looked like Sharon Stone.

Now its long and light blonde underneath and light brown (tan) on top of the blonde giving it a multi level look.

I cut it sort of in the Jennifer Anniston style (layered) as I like it to blow and wave and flutter in the light Florida breezes. Its very thick and shiny like my dad's and sometimes instead of using the straightener, I just let it lay in shiny ribbons like dreds.

I've been crimson red, jet black, and everything in between, but always go back to some shade of blonde. I have no idea what my "natural" hair color is and don't care.

Along with the hair I have piercings. My ears and my nose but don't like to see women wear so much bling they can't make it through the metal detectors at the court house.

#60532 - 04/19/07 07:56 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: NewLeaf]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Well just FYI ladies, if a hairdresser assures you that a body wave is just a light perm or a perm done in big rollers--run! I have been the top 2 salons in my area in the past 3 years, went in asking for a body wave. In both cases I ended up with tight perms. I was so upset both times. In one case it was so bad my hair started breaking off at the roots it was so bad! They had to put relaxer on my hair (for free) to try to fix the mess. I had to wait until my hair grew, cut, grew, cut, grew, etc until the damage was removed.

I've been told you can't get a body wave anymore, no one makes it--which is really sad, it is so much nicer than a perm. Just makes your hair full of body with a slight wave. You can curl it and the curl holds, you can blow it straight and it doesn't look like kinky that's been straightened. sigh....

anyway thanks for checking in Pam!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#60533 - 04/20/07 08:32 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: starting over]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
On Body Waves.....

It depends on who you go to, and what you ask for and your hair itself.
I keep my hair midback length and once a year I have a "loose perm" done
because if I ask for a body wave that will not last for long.
A loose perm gives you relaxed, loose curls and if need be, can be
toned down further with mousse or other favorite products.

I've never been happier with my hair...so full of body!

#60534 - 04/21/07 01:58 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: NewLeaf]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I permed my hair from the age of 22 through 35, stopped b/c I was worried about losing my hair and have this strange thing about cancer. That being, not standing near microwaves in use, using plastics in microwave, no longer perming, never using hair color, and no longer eat fruit out of a can. I know, I'm weird at that!

#60535 - 04/21/07 04:09 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: ]
NewLeaf Offline

MG, I don't use plastic in micro's anymore either. I let the barriers down with cell phones and microwaves though. Hair color would cause cancer of the scalp?? I never thought of that one.

I don't use tin foil anymore in/on anything, don't eat processed food unless there's nothing else to eat and hot dogs are completely out.

#60536 - 04/21/07 08:24 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I permed my hair from the age of 22 through 35, stopped b/c I was worried about losing my hair and have this strange thing about cancer. That being, not standing near microwaves in use, using plastics in microwave, no longer perming, never using hair color, and no longer eat fruit out of a can. I know, I'm weird at that!

Hey Mustang, I gave up perming hair over 25 years ago. It damaged my hair and caused it to turn less black natural colour.

I have never coloured nor bleached my hair yet. Too much of an effort and cost. And I don't trust microwaves to stand near the machines while it's on. My style of cooking is not tasty from a microwave anyway. So we just use it for melting cheese on bread, reheat soup, etc. After all, a machine wears out over time, all that slamming of door every day ... how can it be airtight??

And yes, there's only tupperwear plastic that I use in microwaves. The Canadian federal govn't issued a health alert (from Health Canada) warning NOT to use yogurt containers for reheating in microwaves. The plastic does leach off some dangerous stuff.

I'm just as paranoid as you Mustang.

#60537 - 04/22/07 03:39 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: orchid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orchid, you couldn't be as embarrassed as the half moon and coin slot smiling at me as I turned the isle at Carolina Pottery today! (repairman laying on the floor) Women are so much more savier in low riders than men!

#60538 - 04/22/07 06:14 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

#60539 - 04/22/07 05:11 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
madhatter Offline

Loc: North Florida
No matter how hard I try, I always seem to come back to a style that looks like a combo of Tipper Gore's and Tenille's from the Captain and Tenille. Remember them?
When you have fine hair with little body, your choices are somewhat limited. I went with body waves until a few years back. Then, for some reason, my hair revolted. Not only did the waves not last, but my hair broke off and did all kinds of strange things. Ah well...better to just go with what it will do rather than force it into something it doesn't want to do. Come to think of it, since I passed fifty, I don't do much of anything I don't want to do...

#60540 - 04/22/07 05:50 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: madhatter]
chickadee Offline

mizkitty, love your pic. Newleaf when are you gonna give us a look at you?
Madhatter, I too have fine thin hair. It is very long and I need to cut about 6" off. Don't know why tho, I usually pony tail it. Do you ponytail?

#60541 - 04/22/07 06:45 PM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

#60542 - 04/22/07 10:21 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Waa!!!!! I got a notice in my mail yesterday that my hairdresser (who has been doing my hair FOREVER) is moving from the salon she's in to a private salon. In a neighboring city! It's a good 30 - 45 minute drive from me. And,

I have Social Anxiety Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder. This does not help me cope!

I can't even imagine myself driving to a strange place. Just thinking about it causes me to panic.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#60543 - 04/22/07 11:04 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
NewLeaf Offline

I don't know how to post a photo..I'm electronically challenged. If someone will instruct me, I'd be happy to post a pic.

#60544 - 04/23/07 04:56 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Rick and June or Georgia can help.

Vicki you change, or are you going to follow?

#60545 - 04/23/07 10:49 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I am meeting gorgeous Danita on Friday at a really neat place she has never seen before, and I am going to get my hair done on Wednesday so I look presentable, LOL!! Not really but it is long overdue. Since wearing it really short, when it starts to grow it drives me nuts. I've been thinking of frosting it, the chemical never touches the scalp....

Edited by chatty lady (04/23/07 10:50 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#60546 - 04/23/07 11:51 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
My hair is naturally mousy brown baby fine but thick. I have a serious oil problem so I have to wash my hair a lot.

I don't like to wear my hair too short. It grows very fast. I usually just wear it in a ponytail or bun, but sometimes fix it.

As far as pictures, just look to your left. That's from last summer.

Laurel

#60547 - 04/25/07 03:59 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Laurel]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Fine thin hair here too

I was going to take it to a salon (which I do every 2 years. I do the rest myself) but ran out of time to cut so picked up my scissors again.

Today's do: short on the sides, sort of k.d. lang, a little longer on top, and a pony tail, now 1/3 down my back. And the omnipresent blunt cut bangs.

Poet and essayist

#60548 - 04/25/07 09:50 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: meredithbead]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i ahve two cuts sort in summer longer in winter, but it dosent get too far past my ears...

i cant decide on a style and it changies so much, depends on what i feel like, what the fashion is if i want to go with the fashion or go agenst it...

i have to have it reallie short or couler it...due to the gray white bits....hay natural blond lol..

coulers dark red, to blond to wayyy to blond lol...

i due a cut....and its getting warmer it be this one or the next that i get summer cut done....time to go look for the mags...

the fashion when i was pregnant heer was a mohicine TYPE style well long mochicane but the full top of the head..and it was a deep red but red...i got so much stick FOR being pregnant with hair like that...

i just cut it up from halfway down my backi grow it for a joke....it was a long laugh lol

#60549 - 04/25/07 04:38 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: celtic_flame]
Cookie Offline

I have natural curly hair. I think my hair looks different in a curly sorta way everyday. It has a mind of it's own! I use to fight my hair all the time, but no more. My hair finally wore me down.

#60550 - 08/30/07 04:22 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: TVC15]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
My hair has driven me nuts for eons! It's baby fine although my hairdresser says I have plenty of it...hmm. I can't wear it long because it's stringy and unattractive (I am sooooo envious of those that can grow out their hair!) It's not short but not near my shoulders really. The interesting thing is that I was a redhead as a kid. As soon as my Mom would let me color it (oh how I begged), I went blonde and stayed that way until 3 years ago. I was having a terrible time keeping it blonde because within no time it would get very reddish and yucky. Finally my hairdresser asked, "have you ever thought of making peace with your red hair?" Because I felt I was getting a little old for my previous color and it was doing nothing for my skin tone, I let her have her way. Now I'm okay with it as long as I keep the roots touched up....they're showing some silver and gray!

#60551 - 08/31/07 11:05 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ah roots, I just had that taken care of too.

ladyjane, I wonder why we can't see your photo, then we could see your natural color hair.

#60552 - 08/31/07 01:05 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Oops...had no idea my photo isn't showing! It shows to me....hmmm....I guess I'd better try to fix that

#60553 - 09/06/07 10:38 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: TVC15]
CaroMcK2 Offline

Loc: MA
Well, when I saw this post I just had to join in ~ I have now decided to let my hair grow and look like an old hippie ~ I going to part it in the middle in back and sides will come forward and I will braid about 2in at the ends ~ It is still growing & so I have it in 2 pony tails and I like it and I am 60 so I don't "give a darn" what anyone thinks. I am into "low maintenance" & have some white hairs ~ hair has reddish highlights so I am going natural ~ which will mean eventually white hair as oppose to gray ~ So here I am the earth mother, old hippie or just plain "this is me" ~ take it or leave ~ LOL ~ I love being a rebel!

Hugs and Namaste,

#60554 - 09/10/07 01:31 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: CaroMcK2]
Emyjay Offline

I've been coloring my hair for ages.

My hair is so fine that the coloring process adds some body, says my hair stylist.

Vicki: I've been going to the same lady for over ten years. It took me about six months to break her in. So, I don't envy you, Vicki. But then, you might find someone you like better.

I've been dealing with a trying-to-grow-out-short-layers hairdo. It's almost where I want it. Now, I have long layers in the back, with feathering around my face. The back just touches my collar. I love it!

For most of my life, I wore my hair long. During my thirties, I wore it in a bun with tendrils or in a french braid. I loved that, too.

But as I get older, I think "shortish" suits me best.

I love topics like this!

Emily in Maryland

#60555 - 09/11/07 07:27 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Emyjay]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Have had a short haircut ..with ears showing and layered for past few years. It's fine but lots of hair on my head which grows fast.

Last time, my hairdresser tried 3 different cuts on me in 1 sitting. lst cut was quite funky but I felt after a few weeks hair will grow out and be harder to maintain its chicness.

#60556 - 09/11/07 08:59 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: orchid]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Nothing like an updated, softer-do, for the mature gal! A softer style, plus an updated color, can really make a difference in appearance.

Your Crowning Glory

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#60557 - 09/12/07 12:30 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Jeannine]
Sadie Offline

Oh, Jeannie,
That is a wonderful site called Your Crowning Glory and what wonderful styles on hair and color . I color my hair also . Are you a hairdresser if so welcome her . All I need is a facial now get a pedicure for the summer and what part of Georgia are you from ??

Welcome again.

Renee

#60558 - 09/12/07 12:58 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Sadie]
dancer9 Offline

This was great, I could picture everyone! My hair changes because I am a hair model and have been for 20 years. I'm going to quit next year though and I've decided to finally let my hair grow.
My mother has a great hair style! She is a Art Historian and she has thick, thick hair. She lets it grow very long and keeps it the gray that it is. She looks beautiful that way and a bit wild! I like longer, natural hair on women if they can deal with it but if not, I say short as you can go is very cute, a boy cut if you will, is very adorable.
dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#60559 - 09/12/07 03:19 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Sadie]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hi Renee, thanks for the kind words on the hair advice. No, I'm not a hairdresser, just a 56 year old woman striving to pry that bottle of ultra-hold hairspray out of the hands of mature women...The last time in to the salon, I'm sitting in the chair, telling my hairdresser exactly what I want, as to cut, and of course, chatting with a number of women waiting ...as I left, and another woman around my age took the chair I had just vacated, I heard her say to the stylist, 'I want something like you just gave her'. That something was a soft, layered cut. Good length as to bangs, if I desire them, but great swept to the side as well. I prefer slightly longer layers for great movement, in a medium length style.

Oh, we live just ouside Atlanta, two transplanted Yankees.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#60560 - 10/08/07 05:19 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Jeannine]
Emyjay Offline

This weekend, my hairstylist and I or Me decided to cut my hair shorter. The longer layers went flat.

I have thin, fine hair but lots of it. It will take about a week for me to learn how to work with it.

But, I've gotten several compliments, already.

The hair around my neck needs to be longer. Just have to wait.

this is a former hairstyle more up to date. Have to use some of that sticky stuff to make it look piecey - in places around my face, my neck, here-and-there all over.

Anyone know of some good piecey - making - not tacky, not sticky, hair products?

Thanks,
Emily

#60561 - 10/08/07 05:31 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Emyjay]
dancer9 Offline

Emjay,
Congratulations on your new hair! For pieces you can use a product called "Play Clay," or some from "Bed Head," those from bed head are called "manipulater," or they have a wax product that is good. These are a bit expenisive but will last the rest of your life and do it right!
dancer 9, have fun!
Again, congrats!! It sounds great!

Edited by dancer9 (10/08/07 05:34 PM)

"Question your privilege"

#60563 - 10/15/07 02:51 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: TVC15]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
I'm growing my hair long again, for the heck of it...I want it down to my waist and wear it in a plait! My mother-in-law was horrified at my plans and said "you'll soon tire of that idea". I'm more determined than ever now! My mother-in-law is a gem of a lady but always speaks her mind. We get along great though! I have very soft straight hair which has thinned a little in the last few years but I think long hair on middle-aged women looks great...and a little rebellious! My mum is the same..."why should I cut my hair short because it's expected of me?" YAY for individuality!

#60564 - 10/16/07 02:37 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Countrygirl]
Daisygirl Offline

Recently I cut my hair shorter than it's been in a long time. Every time I had it shorter, I ended up not liking it and now I know why. Most hair stylists don't know how to cut hair that is uneven. I found a one who has very curly hair and she understands it.

I've always thought I'd eventually end up with long hair pulled up when I got older, but I do like it shorter. However, I do miss pulling it up in a pony tail with a baseball hat when I have a bad hair day. That's one thing good about long hair.

I found this stylist at naturallycurly.com.

laurapoplin.com

#60565 - 10/16/07 03:05 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Daisygirl]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

countrygirl, I love your spirit.

Anne, what a sense of humor!

daisy, I can't beleive there's a Web site by that name. That is wild. So you found her online and she's in yrou area. That is so cool!

I just finihed reading Going Gray, by Anne Kreamer. It is an incdredibly good read. You must check it out at www.Amazon.com.

#60566 - 12/04/07 11:10 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Wisdom&Life Offline

Well Dotsie, I decided to chop off my hair a couple of months ago. It was burning me up all the time. The only relief was to put it up, but it was so heavy, it was giving me headaches.

Countrygirl, it took me two years to grow my hair long. I had it short for ten years because of the convenience, but I decided to challenge myself, and it was something I had complete control of.

Cheers,
Cathi

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved