The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#60452 - 08/24/05 07:51 AM Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Cagedbird and I were discussing hairstyles. Tell me what style you have. I have been letting mine grow and right now, it's past my shoulders so I usually put it in a ponytail. But, I might be looking like an old hippie and nobody will tell me! With the humidity here, it's the best way for me to keep it off my neck and I have a ton of hair so it gets hot!

A young guy asked me one time, why do women always cut their hair in these menopausal haircuts when they get older? I've been afraid to have short hair since then. [Big Grin]

[ August 23, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#60453 - 08/24/05 07:57 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I think we had a big old discussion in the forum around last Summer or so about hairstyles - since then I've sort of changed mine....my hair has thinned a lot as I got into my 50s so long was OUT. Long, stringy hair is not exactly attractive and mine's baby fine on top of that! SO - I have shorter hair - still long layers but it's well above my shoulders. I wear bangs too because I have a high forehead. Three weeks ago I broke down and got a body perm which I'm SOOOOOO happy with - - - added a LOT of bulk to my hair. For the first time in probably 20 years I actually LIKE my hair!

By the way Dianne, if my hair was thicker like you say yours is, I MIGHT be tempted to let it grow out at least to my shoulders or even a tiny bit longer - - - ponytails are SO cute!

#60454 - 08/23/05 09:50 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

That's what I'm a little worried about...is my ponytail too cutsie for a woman my age? The guy that does my hair is very honest since it's his repuation as a hairsylist and he says it's fine. It's all one length, which makes the ponytail so easy. I'm into not spending a lot of time on my hair these days.

#60455 - 08/24/05 12:06 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
I go fot the ponytail too- my hair is mid-back and I let it go grey to on top of it- My mother, bless her soul, hates it! I am 53 years old and mom still thinks she has to butt in. Also am 4ft10 so some days I wonder if I look like cousin it from the ADDam's family but the thought of that woman of a certain age bob is not for me I am hair styling challenged so this is my hair from forever

#60456 - 08/24/05 02:15 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I really think that HOWEVER you wear your hair the most important thing is when you look in the mirror do you think "YUCK!" or "HEY, NOT BAD!!" or "MAYBE IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE!"... in other words I think our hairstyle is much like our "body look".....if we are happy within ourselves and with what WE see, maybe that's the most important thing? Of course there's the "comfort" factor too and time constraints. Some of us just plain don't want to spend forever in front of the mirror in the morning fixing our "do". And our jobs (or lack thereof) have an influence on our look and our hair. There's a lot that goes into the whole choosing of a hairstyle. Now that I'm retired and spending most of my day writing I guess it doesn't matter WHAT I look like (!!) but still, I like looking in the mirror and thinking "HEY, NOT BAD!"....LOL

#60457 - 08/24/05 03:57 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You know deep down whether a hair style is right for you or not no matter who you are. Personally I wear my hairstyle to suit myself. If I feel comfortabe with it and like the way it looks whos to say its wrong. Let them, hairsylist or not, wear the hair style they want and I'll do the same. A pretty woman looks good no matter what she does, a not so pretty one, oh well, you know!!!! Hair does NOT make the woman, whats under that hair does. [Wink]

[ August 23, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#60458 - 08/24/05 12:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I buzzed mine down to 1/2" at the sides for the summer. I still have the ponytail halfway down my back but it's up in a barrette when the weather's hot (till October?) Bangs to hide some of the wrinkles. Fine straight hair so my options are limited.

But -- I am SOOOOO excited!! -- a new beauty supply store opened in a local minimall and they have really neat colors that the clerk says will color the silver only, which is what I want. I'm actually fine with the silver and I've never colored my hair ever ever, but these are really cool colors. I can get semi-permanent haircolor highlights in bright purple, or magenta, or hot pink. If they were permanent colors, I would've bought right then; I just hate the idea of messing around every 5-6 shampoos. I'm into the VERY low maintence beauty regime.

At first when I asked about purple, the clerk tried to steer me to more plum or burgundy shades, but I just gave her a dirty look. I mean, why go through all that trouble just to look inconspicuous?

#60459 - 08/24/05 08:09 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is great. I'm getting visuals on everyone.

I have had my hair highlighted off and on for a couple years. Last week I was in need of some highlights, but Olga wasn't available. Melanie used Olga's card to get my highlight color and went to town! Gracious! It almost looks like I bleached my hair. I have never been this blonde, and never will be again as long as I live.

My style has been about the same forever. It's basically one length at the shoulders with a few layers cut in recently. I have a small bang section that is a little long and goes off to the side.I have enough that I can pull it back in a ponytail (of sorts) with stuff hanging around my face. Even when I wear it down, I tend to pull the sides back in a small clip...whatever.

I'm heading towards getting the little pony length cut off and having a big girl hair cut that will make me look older, but who cares? I think it will be easier, and that's what I'm all about.

#60460 - 08/24/05 09:40 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

It's the talented, artistic types that can put purple in their hair and look fantastic! I'd look like an idiot! You rule, Mededith!

I'll probably have some length cut off in the Fall but then, I might not. Maybe I'll go for the Crystal Gale look.

#60461 - 08/24/05 09:52 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My hair is past my shoulders and I usually wear it in a pony tail, or clip it all up when it's hot, like all summer. I have a high forehead also and keep long bangs to try to hide it.

I don't have Meredith's courage to go purple but wish I did, it sounds like fun!

I never liked the way I looked in short hair and so plan on keeping it at least to the shoulder forever!

My hair is very dry. Does anyone know a good conditioner that I could use? I found a good one but they changed formula's on me!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved