The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 152 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#60028 - 11/20/04 06:29 AM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
This whole post gets me into semantics which I love.

Some coach (forget who right now) said when asked how he felt about writers, "We all learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to better things."

I say "We all learn to write in the second grade and writers just never stop editing."

Another thought occurred to me just today. I was having a discussion with a professor friend about why I stopped publishing or even submitting when I was in graduate school. I think it was because before I entered the grad program, I wrote things and people said, "This is really good. You ought to get it published." And I did.
In grad school, they said, "This is good 'only' if you get it published."
There is a whole different mindset to those statements.

Another professor told me, "Write to express, not to impress," Seems like in grad school, I suddenly had to write to impress and I just simply balked at the very idea. Still do. (I guess it's the mule in me)
smile

[ November 19, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#60029 - 11/20/04 04:48 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Okay Ladies I have the update on my first meeting with the girl's Mom.
She is a medical writer, does alot of interveiws but lately she is mostly editing other writers medical writing! She said she never got into any creative writing.
She is a doll and very down to earth, I liked her right away.
I was honest with her about my own writing and she thought it was great.
As most of you said, I was worried for nothing.
We didn't discuss her husband's writing, but he works for the government full time and so I think the writing class is a part time thing (probably nights?) I didn't ask.
The funniest thing is that I found this quote in one of my writing newsletters this morning.

FAVORITE WORDS TO LIVE BY

One of the greatest discoveries a man makes,
one of his great surprises,
is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.

--Henry Ford

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement! (and help and keeping me laughing yesterday when I was so nervous!) (and a very good definition of what a writer really is and is not) You people are the best. I love you all!
Robin

#60030 - 11/20/04 05:52 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Robin,
You not only were given the gift of a new friend, but you were lead to people of like minds. The quote you read was an accident either, me thinks. I would say you are on the right path, wouldn't you? Remember this: FEAR IS MAN MADE...

I love quotes and use them for my own purpose in practically every faucet of my life. I think they can inspire us, make us feel our worth, and give us gentle pushes and reminders of how great life is and not to waste it on things like fear and worry. Erma Bombeck was a master at this I think.

Anyway, good for you!

JJ

#60031 - 11/20/04 07:13 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Good for you Robin - just as JJ said, you have found a new friend. I'm glad we all could keep you pumped up and ready to meet the challenge of sitting down with her.....it wasn't so painful after all!!! [Wink]

#60032 - 11/20/04 07:46 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

Not painful at all, Thanks.

I love quotes too! Especially when you unexpectedly find one that hits home.

#60033 - 11/21/04 07:50 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Robin, your son made you believe in yourself as a writer. [Wink]

Had it not been for his comment you wouldn't have moved to the conclusion that you are indeed a writer. Keep submitting... [Wink]

He helped you profess your profession!

I experienced something similar while on the path to launching my project.

I interviewed an author friend of mine for a class I was taking. During the interview I shared that I had an IDEA for a book and a new journey for myself.

I wasn't going to tell her what it was because I hadn't worked it all out yet. She encouraged me to tell her because when sharing ideas they become real.

It was so true. From that day forward I knew the project would come to fruition and was a gift from God.

I believe the same is true for you.

Now that you are telling people you are a writer...watch out...your life is going to change. It's the new you!

[ November 21, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#60034 - 11/21/04 11:10 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

Thanks Dotsie!
If I can accomplish half of what you have already done, I'd be happy!
Your project is a lifesaver for many and alot of fun for the rest!
God bless you Dotsie.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved