The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60008 - 11/19/04 05:44 PM I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Okay, You all know that I'm a newbie to writing. I've had a total of 1 essay published in actual print. I have decided that this qualifies me to call myself a writer. My 14 year old is apparently very proud of this and told his new
girlfriend's parents that his Mom is a writer.

Well.... It turns out that her Mom is also a writer, freelance, I'm assuming for magazines as I've not yet met her. And get this, her Dad is a writer too, even teaches a writing class at none other than Duke University.

I mean really...What are the chances of this happening? Well, obviously to me, very good but honestly, now I feel like a complete fool!

It wouldn't be so bad but he has told me that her mother has invited me to join one of her book clubs. I'm guessing that would neccessitate the actual meeting with her and talking to her about my own paltry little writing career. (I'm so embarrassed)

It took me years to get to this point, where I am finally admitting to the world that I have this disease, called writing.

In fact it was you wonderful women that helped me to do that. So now, I need your help again,
GET ME OUT OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, you are right, I got myself into it. (And the boy will be punished severely) But.....
Does anyone have any suggestions? Or possibly some witty quotes that I can memorize to make myself appear more intelligent and writerly? Can I toss your names around to show that I have some friends in "the" business? Or should I just come clean and say, haha I was only kidding, I'm not really a writer at all, I just play one on television?

#60009 - 11/19/04 05:50 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
LOL! You are living my life. That is totally something that would happen to me.

First of all, you are a writer. Period. Believe it, say it and own it. Doesn't matter that you are not published, but rather that you have several projects in the works. Any writer would surely understand what it is to struggle to become published. It takes time and effort and blood, sweat and tears. (I hope I'm listening to me right now.)

Who knows what contacts you'll make when you meet these literary types? It may be just what you need.

#60010 - 11/19/04 05:54 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

Thanks Sher,
You are of course right. But I still feel so small and incompetent. LOL
Hey , what if when they say "You're son tells us you are a writer."
I could say, "That boy has had a serious problem with lying his entire life."

Maybe that would solve my whole problem! Hmmm...How long do you think it would take him to get over it? LOL

[ November 19, 2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: TVC15 ]

#60011 - 11/19/04 06:10 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
You know, in an earlier post today, I mentioned that I'd been writing....well.....forever. Writing seems to me to be not a destination but a journey. It is more of a calling than an occupation, more art than "skill set". You know what I mean. Some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever read has never been published so does that make the person any less a writer? I don't think so. You just keep doing what you are doing and yes, go to lunch or dinner or book club and network like crazy. You never know what may come of it...don't ever sell yourself short.

#60012 - 11/19/04 06:17 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

Thank you Kathryn,
I read your post and you should definitely start submitting also.
I love this group of women, I knew you would all understand my pain and make me feel better about it.
Robin

#60013 - 11/19/04 06:28 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You write. You are a writer. Period! You do NOT have to be published to be a writer. I have a friend who writes some of the most beautiful stories I've ever read but she refuses to submit them. Says she writes because it completes her.

You are also a woman. Does this mean that you are half a woman? Not as good as other women? Heck no! You are a COMPLETE woman.

You are a Mother. Does this mean that you are not quite as good as other Mother's? I think NOT!

You are .... see where I'm going here hon? You are whatever you believe yourself to be. You write, therefore you are a writer.

Unless this woman is Mary Higgins Clark or Danielle Steel, then I wouldn't give it a second thought. Don't you think she had to start somewhere too? And by the way, for all you know, she may be the WORST writer you've ever read...eh?

This connection sounds as though it was a blessing, a gift to you. Why not accept it and see where it takes you? And when someone says, "So...you're a writer" you answer, "Oh yes, I am! I love to write, don't you?"

If all of this fails, then wash your son's stuff in with something pink. He'll learn.

JJ

#60014 - 11/19/04 06:32 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

Oh boy, I really hope you are all right about this. I suppose it could be a blessing in disguise but I think I may wash his clothes with the pink stuff just to teach him to keep his mouth shut in the future....LOL
Oh and something I failed to mention. He told them that I was hard at work on MY novel.
Boy was he upset when I explained to him what Nanowrimo was really all about..especially after I told him, I quit!

[ November 19, 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: TVC15 ]

#60015 - 11/20/04 08:37 AM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
You're not only a writer but a published one. It doesn't matter if it's one piece or 200.

You gotta start somewhere. Do you realize how many people have been writing their entire lives and never been published?

When I had just been signed by a literary agent (knew so little about the publishing/writing business, didn't know I should be excited about being signed) I went to a writers conference at Kent State with my editor. Out of 300 writers in that group, only 20 had any work published. Some had been writing for years! So, don't minimize what you've done.

I just started learning scriptwriting and attended a TN Screenwriters Assoc. meeting. These people were talking about stuff that I'd never heard of. One of them asked me what my script's genre was. I said, "Is Chick Flick a genre?" He died laughing. My message is, we start with one at a time and never apologize for it. Teaching writing doesn't necessarily mean he's a good writer.

Your son seems like he's very proud of you so please don't wash his undies with the pink towels!

#60016 - 11/20/04 08:55 AM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
TVC15 Offline

My son and I thank you Dianne,
You've just won him a reprieve in the undie dept.
LOL

#60017 - 11/19/04 10:39 PM Re: I really stepped in it this time!
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
personally I think you should just go up to that boy and give him a great big bear hug (not a wax-scented bear hug like Sher would give).....he's obviously proud of you to be "bragging" to his friends about you. I would love it if one of my kids did something like that, because then I would know that they were paying attention to what I do and not just whining about Mom being on the computer all the time [Big Grin]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved