The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#59977 - 11/01/04 05:01 PM too much food!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Other than eating, what else can we do when we gather with family and friends? We had company twice this weekend and I ate way too much.

I enjoy food, but I think it would be better for us if we didn't eat every time we got together.

Perhaps cutting back the amount and variety might be a good start. [Wink]

Any ideas?

#59978 - 11/01/04 07:06 PM Re: too much food!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Does nobody play games anymore? How about charades? Have a jigsaw puzzle set up in a corner with chairs where people can come and go as they please. You'll be suprised how many times they will venture over to the table.

Give everyone who enters your house three marble. ONLY THREE. Now...the result is to collect as many marbles as you can during the visit. So...the rules can be something like

1) Everytime you see someone cross their legs, you can tell them to give you one of their marbles. They have to give it up.

or

2) Everytime you hear somebody say ____(you fill in the blank) you can tell them to give you one of their marbles...

the person with the most marbles at the end of the visit, wins something. It can be something trival, something great, or it could even be something that could be passed around each year to the NEXT winner. Like a tradition! We use to have a "worthless award" trophy. Every year somebody won it for being the most worthless during the summer. We had a summer celebration at the end of the season, and people go up in front of the crowd of about 20 or so and told why they were the most worthless. It was a hoot! The trophy was then awarded, and the new winner's name and date actually put on there...till the next year.

MAKE A MOVIE...take someone's video camera and during the entire visit, have someone there video it. It's great fun.

Just a few ideas...
[Wink]
JJ

#59979 - 11/02/04 08:47 AM Re: too much food!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
those are some great ideas, JJ. How about playing cards? My husband's family (they live in PA) get together for card night. They set up tables (yes, plural) for Pinochile (spelling is not right - P-knuckle). They would bring the whole family together and have a half dozen card tables with matches going. They take their card playing seriously. [Smile]

You can't eat much when your hands are busy with cards.

[ November 01, 2004, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#59980 - 11/03/04 08:05 AM Re: too much food!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, we just had a poker night at my dad's home with family. It was great. And you're right, you can't eat while you're playing cards. But I didn't play cards all night... [Eek!] Guess what I was doing when I wasn't playing cards? [Razz] [Mad]

#59981 - 11/02/04 10:05 PM Re: too much food!
Claire Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Chuckle. :-)
C

#59982 - 11/02/04 11:54 PM Re: too much food!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
JJ,
Who has taken over your body. Or worse your computer? Have you cracked. Games?? Please. There IS nothing to do except EAT. And MAKE a MOVIE?? Have you cracked?
Who would want to see themselves on the screen. You know the camera adds ten pounds. And ten pounds on top of twenty pounds is... Well, you do the math.

Anyway, I say if you can't get together and eat, you just have to stay home alone --- And eat.
smile

#59983 - 11/03/04 12:24 AM Re: too much food!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

SMILES has it going on. I lost my head. I just figured while everybody else was in the "family" room playing games and working jigsaw puzzles, Dots could be in the kitchen with her face in the cake...ya know? Surely she read between the lines...

JJ

#59984 - 11/03/04 01:19 AM Re: too much food!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
JJ,
I was scared. I thought some crazy health maniac had taken over your body and was in control of your computer.
I should have known you were only trying to distract us with that silly game and movie stuff.
If I had half a brain I would have known better. I should have known that while everyone was playing cards and making some "before Jenny Craig movie" you would be in the kitchen eating up all the goodies.
All I gotta' say is Thank heaven the real jj is back.
smile

#59985 - 11/03/04 04:45 AM Re: too much food!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

As Garfield would say....I do what I can.

JJ

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved