The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#59929 - 09/25/04 10:12 PM How many managers does it take to . . .
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I was wondering how you would handle a situation like this.
My 21 year old son cut his finger at work on thursday night, (bad cut) He works at a grocery store in the meat dept. He told the manager on duty and was told to get a bandaid. It was the end of his shift (after 9pm) and so he rushed home, gushing. We got it to stop bleeding, and deteermined that there was no way they could stitch it. Later that night he informed the assistant manager of his dept. on-line, what had happened. He was not scheduled to work the following day. The following morning when we unwrapped it, it has a huge bubble sticking out of the end of it. (sorry to be graphic, I've never seen anything like it) We go to the doctor and are told that it could need surgery later to remove this bubble. He is given an antibiotic and tetnis shot. He went to work to speak to his Dept. manager about taking a few days off due to his injury. He is told that he can't have the next day off as there is no one to fill in for him. At work on saturday, the original manager who was on duty the night it happened, asks him if he filled out an accident report. Of course he did not,he left in a panic, and is told that it is now too late as it needed to be done within 24 hours! He has no insurance yet either.
I am so mad. I didn't think to tell him to fill out a report because I knew the manager was there with him and assumed that he would have handled that. Can you imagine, 3 managers were informed within 24 hours and not one of them thought to tell him to fill out a report.

#59930 - 09/26/04 01:06 AM Re: How many managers does it take to . . .
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That is totally the Manager's fault for not being responsible for the welfare of his employee. Yes, you son had an accident. It happens, but it is the responsibility of management to oversee and report it. Is this manager blind? If the finger was that swollen by the morning, then it had to be a bad cut the night before. Sounds like to me the manager just wanted to go home and didn't want to deal with it.

My son use to be a manager of a grocery store and I can tell you that

1) He would have NEVER let an injured employee leave the building without either checking the wound himself, or taking the employee to get medical attention.

2) There are forms that have to be filled out when there is an injury on the job and failure to do so holds repercussions. Bet the manager didn't tell your son that, eh? Could it be that it was closing time and he didn't want to do the paperwork?

I'm going to assume you son is under 20? If so, GO WITH HIM to the store, do not pass go, do not collect 200....GO WITH HIM and demand to see the manager. Tell him you know the circumstances and ask him point blank what he intends to do. If he refuses to help your son, then tell him he leaves you no choice and get a lawyer.

This makes me so angry that someone would put a store before a person who obviously needs medical attention. How wrong is that?

If this is your son's first job, I'm sure he did not know the rules and unfortunately, the store managers sometimes fail to enlighten the employees UNTIL AN ACCIDENT comes along. This could be the case with your son. Find out all you can, be nice when you approach the store manager (I know you would be anyway) but by all means, THIS IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY! Make them aware that you are not afraid to see to it that they do the right thing by your son.

If I sound mad I am. The thoughts of your son being injured and the manager ignoring it. ACK!

Then again, I'm hearing one side of it so make sure you find out from your son if HE told the manager it was fine and to go on home before you pull a Queen Jaw Jaw on the manager! hahaha..If he didn't then I say "OFF WITH HIS HEAD" for the store manager!

JJ

#59931 - 09/26/04 01:12 PM Re: How many managers does it take to . . .
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dotsie, my neighbor across the street is the produce manager of one of the Albertson stores here and he said that by no means should your son have left the store alone, in other words JJ is absolutely correct and you should follow her advice. He got injured on the job and it's their responsibility to pay for it or be sued....They have Insurance for these matters, make them use it especially if he's a minor...

#59932 - 09/27/04 03:50 PM Re: How many managers does it take to . . .
TVC15 Offline

Thank you for all of the advice and it turns out that you are both absolutely right.
My son is 21 but this is his first time dealing with anything like this. (to be honest, mine also, we've been very lucky) I agree that the manager didn't want to do the paperwork. Anyway it turns out he was assistant manager and when the real manager found out what happened on saturday he let them all have it. It turns out my son did exactly what he was supposed to do, tell the acting manager immediately. After that it is their responsiblity to fill out forms.
The reason I didn't call is because my son didn't understand and he wanted me to stay out of it. He was embarrassed and was blaming himself for being careless.
Once the real manager got wind of it, he got the paperwork squared away and it didn't have to be done within 24 hours. The asst. manager said he told my son to come back to him about the paperwork, but this was a lie because he saw my son afterwards on friday and still didn't fill out any papers for him. My son didn't want to make trouble for him so he told the real manager "maybe I didn't hear him as I was panicking."
The manager also gave him a paper on the rules of the store for injuries and you are right, they were supposed to provide him with medical attention, not let him leave there gushing blood. They were supposed to bring him somewhere.
I am not going to persue anything on this as they are taking responsiblities for the medical bills and he wants to keep the job.
On sunday when he saw the assistant manager again, he came up to my son and said, "You know, you got me in trouble." I told my son, "No you didn't, he got himself in trouble because he didn't handle the situation properly."
Thanks again for letting me vent about this!

#59933 - 09/27/04 03:58 PM Re: How many managers does it take to . . .
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You are very in tune to the world, good for you!

....give me and Bubba and Earl, five minutes alone with that assisstant manager and your son won't have to worry bout it no more, k?

What a jerk...cya was all he was worried about. He also thinks he can intimidate your son. I hope your son gave it back to him. If he lets him bully him now, it will continue.

I have to admire your son though for telling you to stay out of it...he is becoming a man, isn't he?

My son would have told me the same thing. Course, fat chance of that happening...hahaha

...my kids learned over the years "don't tell Mom, she'll get involved." Amen...

mess with me, you might get away with it...mess with my children, it won't be pretty.

JJ

#59934 - 09/27/04 04:08 PM Re: How many managers does it take to . . .
TVC15 Offline

Jawjaw,
I am exactly the same way. People can walk all over me and I'll let them but if they try to do that to my kids I will come out swinging!
I guess he is becoming a man. Its hard to stand back and watch though!

#59935 - 09/27/04 06:34 PM Re: How many managers does it take to . . .
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
TVC, if you ever need a lawyer, call jawjaw. I think that's what she does in her spare time! [Big Grin] Phew, is she an sdvocate for your son, or what?

I agree, walk on me, but if she step near my children the mother bear claws have a way of sticking out and getting in the way. [Eek!]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved