The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#59566 - 10/24/03 04:53 AM Re: customers
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Thanks Meredith, that makes perfect sense to me. I've seen gourds, similar to mine go for as much as $800 but that's crazy.....and I've seen some really good ones go for $150, however, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that this area warrants that kind of price, so I'm thinking between $40-$65. I stain them and do pyography, which seems to be the new word for wood burning which is really cool because I LOVED doing that when I was a kid, so now I just sit there in the evenings and doodle...! It's so cool!

Kate

#59567 - 10/24/03 07:31 AM Re: customers
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
since I don't know exactly where you are, I can't comment on whether your pricing is high or low for your neighborhood. It sounds reasonable to me. $800!!! would never fly down here. The people with that kind of money aren't buying gourds; at least I don't think so.

I picked some little yellow round gourds up in the hills, with some idea about decorating them, but they're kinda small so the possibilities are not as exciting.

#59568 - 10/24/03 08:24 AM Re: customers
DreamrKate Offline

Well those $800 jobs were some I saw online...but then I've seen some for $45 that were kind of strange. I'm not much for turning gourds into animals or painting them and turning them into birdhouses. It's just not my thing. Some, actually a lot of people like those kind of things but mmmm...not me.
Anyway, my point, and I do have one, is WHAT little gourds in the hills? Those gourd looking things that you see just growing along the side of the road? Those round viney things I've seen a zillion times and always wondered what they were but never stopped to look at them? Me? The queen of cheap supplies? And I'm in Central California. There's NOTHIN' goin' for $800 here.
Kate

#59569 - 10/24/03 12:52 PM Re: customers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
DK,
I'm curious...what exactly do you make/do with the gourds?

#59570 - 10/24/03 01:58 PM Re: customers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have a painted gourd sitting right behind me...actually two! [Wink]

A friend hollowed them out and painted them for me a couple years ago.

They could be bird houses but I thought they'd get ruided if I put them outside.

One is a beautiful shade of yellow and the other is painted gold and has pretty flowers painted on it.

A piece of the outdoors brought in!

DK, best wishes with your sales. WHen are you selling them?

#59571 - 10/25/03 01:43 AM Re: customers
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Kate, yeah those viney things that grow on the hillsides. FYI all gourds are viney. These look like bright yellow tennis balls right now. They were green striped in the spring. Actually I thought it was squash and was going to cook them (motto: if you don't die or puke, it's probably OK to eat [Roll Eyes] ) but someone else told me they were gourds. They have hard thin shells (skins.)

#59572 - 10/25/03 07:02 AM Re: customers
DreamrKate Offline

Thanks Meredith....I'm going out looking for some now....well, not like NOW.....but maybe tomorrow... I'm going to Folsom tomorrow to buy gourds.

You COULD cook them and feed them to your spouse... and see what happens... just a thought.

#59573 - 10/25/03 10:32 AM Re: customers
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

They're so pithy hard-as-a-rock, even he would notice. [Razz]

#59574 - 10/25/03 02:34 PM Re: customers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
DK,
You never said what you do with the gourds. If you dont paint them, then what? I refer to your older post where you said

I'm not much for turning gourds into animals or painting them and turning them into birdhouses. It's just not my thing. Some, actually a lot of people like those kind of things but mmmm...not me.

Inquiring minds wanna know....

#59575 - 10/25/03 10:55 PM Re: customers
DreamrKate Offline

Hi jawjaw~

I DO do some painting but it's sort of more stain-like than anything else. I like the mottled skin of them, it takes stains and watercolor very well and doesn't cover up the natural beauty. I love the shape and form of gourds, they're so natural and flowing. I usually do some pyography, which is just a fancy word for wood burning, and I draw as I go. Sometimes I might make a pencil sketch of my idea but more often than not I just free-form it. So after that I stain them and paint what I'm going to paint. Then I'll add some embellishments. And then maybe wax and rub it to a high sheen. But I'm still [Smile] sort of new to this, not to drawing but using a gourd as my canvas.

Does that answer?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved