The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#59335 - 12/12/05 04:34 AM Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Does anyone know how to knit? What is the best way for me to learn? I have a book and have tried and tried to follow the directions, but I just don't get it. I'm going to search on the web for a video.

Daisygirl

#59336 - 12/12/05 05:11 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I think the best way is to have someone who knows how show you the basics. I haven't knit in a long time, but when I did, that's how I learned. A video might be helpful though.
Louisa

#59337 - 12/12/05 05:32 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I was able to crochet by learning from a friend just a couple of stitches but learning to knit is a whole nuther ball game. You need help by someone who can be right there and show you just what and how to do it. Don't waste your efforts trying to learn alone it is nearly impossible. They give lessons at the Micheal's Craft stores here. Maybe where you are too. My Grandmother knitted and crocheted my wedding gown and it was unbelievable...

#59338 - 12/12/05 07:45 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

Michael's is a good idea, Chatty. Funny, I learned how to knit but never how to crochet.
Louisa

#59339 - 12/12/05 06:49 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Thanks Ladies,

I found a small local yarn shop who will do one on one instruction and I plan to call them today.

Gee, Chatty, I bet your gown was awesome! Right now I'd be happy to do a scarf.

Daisygirl

#59340 - 12/12/05 06:52 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Daisygirl, let us know how this goes. I love to knit and crochet but haven't done either in years. And that's a shame too, because it soooo relaxing to me. I think you'll love the knitting, too.

JJ

#59341 - 12/14/05 09:18 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I would love to learn to knit . My mother made som beautiful scarfs for me and a ski hat when I went sking not anymore . I went Ice skating and she made me a hat and scarf and my husband one . Oh, to knit and pearl she would say. I wonder if you can take classes in knitting

#59342 - 12/14/05 06:28 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

I've discovered that the chain craft stores have classes, but I found a small local yarn shop that I'm taking a private class from next week. The owner said it would probably only take 1 hour to teach me since I've been playing around with it and know a tiny bit. I also think they have a get-together for knitters weekly, which would be a good place to learn stitches, etc.

#59343 - 12/15/05 07:42 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Daisygirl ,
We have a local craft store here . I would really lover to learn to knit . My husbnad has some scares that his mother made him . I wonder what the basic is that you do. Do you start making scarf . I will check this out.

#59344 - 12/15/05 08:56 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

Nancy, A scarf is pretty easy. Not like making a sweater. I used to knit years ago. I made myself a nice scarf, but don't know whatever happened to it. I made a sweater once. It ended up about 3 sizes too big for me.
Louisa

#59345 - 12/16/05 08:32 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Lousia ,
That sounds like a good idea . I will start with a scarf to knit sure need one now for this cold weather and my husband and I are wearing ours . Do they still call this knit and pearl ? This is what mother said when she knitted .

#59346 - 12/16/05 08:59 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

Loc: Midwest
Knitting's relaxing and frustrating and addictive and social. Lucky you to have found a yarn store in your vicinity. One word of advice: leave your extra cash, checkbook, and credit card at home!!!

And whatever you do, do "not" accept an offer to work in the yarn store. Unless, of course, you're happy with the idea of regularly spending more on yarn in a week than you earn. [Wink]

Pick a soft yarn, solid or variegated color that you love, and stay way from the fancier 'eyelash' yarns for your first project. All those extra fuzzies make it difficult to see your stitches. A lot of the scarf patterns call for big needles, size 15 at least. I find that large a needle difficult to handle. But the knitting sure goes fast.

#59347 - 12/15/05 09:10 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

MossPatch,
That is interesting about leaving the money at home . Do they try to get you to buy more yard . I don't think that is for me working in a yarn store , but I will keep your advise in mind and thanks for the tip . Do you do a not of knitting ?

#59348 - 12/15/05 09:33 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

Nancy50 -- I do more yarn buying than yarn knitting. [Wink]

If you get bitten by the yarn bug, you won't need to be pressured into buying stuff. You'll automatically begin accumulating your Knitter's Stash. You'll see a color or texture or a pattern and before long you're sneaking yet another bag of yarn into the house when nobody's looking. Or you'll be standing there looking at plain navy blue acrylic and a total stranger will begin gushing over fuscia and lime green mohair and somehow you'll walk out with a bag of turquoise and burgundy silk AND a new knitting buddy.

Seriously, tho. And this is based on what I've seen happen many times. After you take your first lessons, try not to trade that for on-going free help. If you get to a point in your knitting when you can't figure out what to do, arrange for another paid lesson. A question about reading a pattern is ok. Taking in your knitting because you just can't figure out what's wrong is usually ok. But if your problem will require more than a few minutes of the shop owner's time, ask for a paid lesson. The shop owner will love you.

#59349 - 12/15/05 11:39 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Mosspatch,
Thats sound advice and Thank You.

#59350 - 12/15/05 11:50 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Mosspatch I learned the hard way that the fuzzy yarns are not good to learn on. Then I bought a less fuzzy yarn and still had trouble! That is a good point about not taking advantage of the shop owner.

#59351 - 12/16/05 06:40 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

. What happens with the fuzzy yarns . Do the ball up like a sweater will sometimes. I know nothing about yars and every little bit will help . Mosspatch you have some good points. Want to learn all I can. Thanks
Daisy you hve some good points .

[ December 16, 2005, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#59352 - 12/16/05 05:07 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

Nancy50,
Do you have a Michael's Crafts near you? Any other craft store or yarn shop? These places offer lessons. I think the best way to learn is having someone show you. That's how I learned . Start out with something small like a scarf or headband. Something with easy straight knit stitches. Or knit and pearl.
Louisa

#59353 - 12/17/05 08:14 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Lousia,
We sure do have a Michael's up the road from me and I have been in there lots of times. I want to make somemore candy canes out of pike cleans . I made some for my daughter when she was little and want to make more. I will ask when I go up that way today.

Have any of you of you craft girls worked with pipe cleans and made things out of them I made candy canes of white and red and then are so pretty to put on the tree.

Thanks for the helpful tips and I do want to learn to knit .

#59354 - 12/17/05 12:52 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Hey Lousia ,
I was in Michaels today and checked out the yarn an needles and bought somemore pipe cleans and wire cutters , boy was it busy in there . Tell more later, got to run .

#59355 - 12/17/05 09:57 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

What size needles did you say we start out with with Lousia ? I fogot .

#59356 - 12/18/05 04:38 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

It depends on which project. If I can find the book I have with the afghans, I'll check.
Louisa

#59357 - 12/18/05 11:39 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

The problem with fuzzy yarns is that the fuzz makes it difficult to see the stitches clearly or to rip out stitches to correct a mistake.

There are some really nice super-bulky yarns out there. 15 stitches on size 15 or larger needles in plain garter stitch will knit up in no time to a cushy scarf.

#59358 - 12/19/05 02:52 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Thanks so much MossPatch

#59359 - 12/19/05 09:30 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

That sounds nice MossPatch. My girlfriend just gave me a lovely scarf she made. She said the thing to do is use good yarn, not the cheap yarn. It is nice and soft and thick. But it has that nice fuzzieness to it. If that makes any sense. I forget what the plain garter stitch is. Is that knit one row, purl one row? It's been years since I've knit something.
Louisa

#59360 - 12/19/05 11:08 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

Garter stitch is knit every row. I stretches crosswise, and lies flat.

Stockinette is knit one row, purl one row. It stretches lengthwise and will curl, so it isn't the best stitch for a scarf.

#59361 - 12/20/05 04:41 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

Thank you MossPatch. I remember that now. I think they were the only two stitches I knew. [Big Grin] But I used to like knitting. I can't tell you how many afghans I started and didn't finish.
Louisa

#59362 - 12/21/05 12:38 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

I did it! I learned how to knit. It would've taken a long time to figure it out myself. I'll be working on it in the evening while watching tv with a dog on each side of me. Maybe I'll knit them each a little sweater! lol

Daisygirl

#59363 - 12/21/05 05:42 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Daisy,
Did you go to the class that you signed up for? Hey, you could knit the dog a sweater . I will start one day soon.

#59364 - 12/21/05 06:07 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

It was a private lesson and only took one hour. So far I started 2 scarves, and probably need to start over on the 2nd one. It doesn't look very even. Oh, well. I can't wait to try some of the exotic yarns they have in their shop.

#59365 - 12/22/05 04:32 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

My girlfriend is going to show me how to make the scarf she made me for Christmas. I just love it. It's a straight garter stitch so I know I can do that easily enough. She's going to take me to where she buys her yarn.
Louisa

#59366 - 12/22/05 06:36 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

Way to go, gals!

That uneven scarf? The cast on and cast off ends tend to flare. So cast on a few fewer stitches and knit the first two and last two stitches together on the first row. Increase the number of stitches in the next couple of rows, and then continue on. Decrease the stitches the same way. Then cast off the first two and last two stitches together. That gives you nice square corners.

Did your teacher show you how to slip the first sticth? If not, instead of knitting the first stitch on each row, slip it from the left to the right needle, unknit. Then start knitting into the second stitch. This gives you a nice smooth edge.

Hope that makes sense??

I've thought of changing my name to MossStitch, but that one's a real pain-in-the-yarn. [Razz]

#59367 - 12/22/05 07:52 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Thanks MossPatch, I'll try that. I'm trying to be patient and realize it will take a while to get it. I'm on my 3rd try and all 3 turned out uneven.

Daisygirl

#59368 - 12/22/05 11:33 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
This is great! I found my spot!
Now that I have recovered from all my surgeries, I went to JoAnn's and bought some mohair yarn to knit myself a sweater. I haven't knitted in years. Used to knit myself and my dtrs. sweaters. Guess I have to brag here....I'm self taught.
When I got to the point where I needed help with knitting a coat, I took classes at our local Community College.
Then decided to take private lessons from the teacher of the knitting classes.
I made a baby outfit with sweater and bottoms with the feet and got one of the feet backwards. Took it into her, she clipped one strand of yarn, took a huge sewing needle, and "knitted" the foot back on the right way. I just watched her with my mouth wide open.
I'm hoping knitting will be what it was to me years ago. It was so relaxing, but at times could get aggravating.
Good luck to you Daisygirl! You can do it!
Lynne

#59369 - 12/25/05 05:22 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Daisygirl...

Most people are visual learners and learn better when someone is beside them showing/teaching. Look in your yellow pages for a yarn store and ask about lessons. Some of the big-box stores are good as well and probably less expensive...try Michaels, JoAnns and there are a couple more I can't think of their names.

Knitting is only two stitches and then manipulations of those two stitches. It's really and truly not that difficult, it does take time and concentration though. When you sit down to knit, find yourself a quiet spot at a time when you're less likely to be interrupted. If you can only devote fifteen minutes a day for the first week...that's enough.

I taught myself to knit years ago, used a book from some acrylic yarn mill in NC, and have never looked back. I don't knit extremely difficult patterns because my local yarn store is +100 miles away. If I run into trouble I don't want to either wait until I can get to the LYS or drive +200 miles round trip to get help. I do keep a lot of little heads warm though :>). I can knit a child's hat in one afternoon and have been known to walk around a store, knitting, and when finished slipping it off the needles, turn and give it to some big eyed little tyke. I always tell them Jesus Loves You and wanted You to have this hat. :>) I love seeing their faces light up.

Tell me where you are and I'll see if I can find someone to help you. I've got a pretty extensive network of knitters around the world.

#59370 - 12/25/05 05:24 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hey Lynn...

are big girl panties called drawers or bloomers?

:>) ducking and running.....

#59371 - 12/25/05 05:17 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Sandra, I alreeady did just that. I found a small local yarn shop who is located in our farmers market shops. She has a selection of beautiful yarns. I went to her house for a 1 hour lesson and that got me started. I'm about 3/4 done on my first scarf and I also bought another yarn for the 2nd. I must admit I have already started the 2nd one! I love those skinny long scarves. I will eventually knit something else, but for now I'm enjoying practicing on my scarves.

It seems to me that I'm slow, but I guess I'll pick up speed a I become more experienced.

Merry Christmas!

#59372 - 01/01/06 10:57 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Bead Angel Offline

I can knit but can never pick up crochet, I wish someone can teach me.

#59373 - 10/12/06 05:16 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: Louisa]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
this website says they have a free video - might want to check it out

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

I am a crochetter - tried knitting about 35 years ago and didn't like it as much as crochet.

Donna

#59374 - 10/12/06 01:11 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: 49erDonna]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

It's funny, but in the Spring and Summer months you won't catch me near any yarn, but you let the weather change and get a tad cooler and I start looking for my needles...knitting and crochet needles, that is...

Anybody got a good, easy pattern for a scarf?

JJ

#59375 - 10/13/06 12:52 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: jawjaw]
Daisygirl Offline

I've been knitting now for about 9 months and really haven't done anything very complicated. I discovered I don't like to keep track of stitches and prefer mindless knitting, with exceptional yarn that hides my mistakes. I did start 1 sweater, but got sidetracked by work. I've been so busy I haven't had time for my hobbies. I do enjoy knitting and wearing my unique scarves. Some are SO unique I won't wear them. I have learned a lot and intend to keep it up, along with my beading.

One of my co-workers (from Chicago) clued me in on Knitting Pattern Central - all their patters are free!

laurapoplin.com

#59376 - 10/13/06 10:08 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: Daisygirl]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Daisygirl....I tried getting to that Knitting Pattern Central (crochet, too) and the link doesn't work. Says the site is no good. Help?

#59377 - 10/14/06 01:47 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: jawjaw]
Daisygirl Offline

Goodness, I was on it just last week! I don't know what happened to it!

laurapoplin.com

#59378 - 10/14/06 02:40 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I found this site for crocheting patterns. It's so cool!

http://www.craftown.com/crochet.htm

Now here is another one I found that has free patterns for both, knitting and crocheting. TONS...

http://www.lionbrand.com/

Enjoy!

#59379 - 10/14/06 09:35 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I make up my own patterns or guess I should say, crochet free style, no patterns. Comes out okay so it must be...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#59380 - 10/26/06 05:46 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: chatty lady]
Mountain Ash Offline

In Scotland it is starting to get chilly.I wear scarves as accessories.I buy interesting textured yarn and sometimes mix shades.In our woolshops modern yarns are very fashionable and I now have a selection which coordinate with my sweaters.
I would like to knit fashionable winter hats(or learn to crochet hats)
.Mountain Ash

#59381 - 10/26/06 06:44 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: Mountain Ash]
Daisygirl Offline

Mountain Ash, I am so jealous - you get to purchase Colinette yarn - it is so beautiful! I just bought some from a UK website, even with the exchange rate and shipping charges, it's much less than purchasing in the states. You do have some great woolmakers (is that what they're called) in Europe.

laurapoplin.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved