The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#59365 - 12/22/05 04:32 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
My girlfriend is going to show me how to make the scarf she made me for Christmas. I just love it. It's a straight garter stitch so I know I can do that easily enough. She's going to take me to where she buys her yarn.
Louisa

#59366 - 12/22/05 06:36 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

Loc: Midwest
Way to go, gals!

That uneven scarf? The cast on and cast off ends tend to flare. So cast on a few fewer stitches and knit the first two and last two stitches together on the first row. Increase the number of stitches in the next couple of rows, and then continue on. Decrease the stitches the same way. Then cast off the first two and last two stitches together. That gives you nice square corners.

Did your teacher show you how to slip the first sticth? If not, instead of knitting the first stitch on each row, slip it from the left to the right needle, unknit. Then start knitting into the second stitch. This gives you a nice smooth edge.

Hope that makes sense??

I've thought of changing my name to MossStitch, but that one's a real pain-in-the-yarn. [Razz]

#59367 - 12/22/05 07:52 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks MossPatch, I'll try that. I'm trying to be patient and realize it will take a while to get it. I'm on my 3rd try and all 3 turned out uneven.

Daisygirl

#59368 - 12/22/05 11:33 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
This is great! I found my spot!
Now that I have recovered from all my surgeries, I went to JoAnn's and bought some mohair yarn to knit myself a sweater. I haven't knitted in years. Used to knit myself and my dtrs. sweaters. Guess I have to brag here....I'm self taught.
When I got to the point where I needed help with knitting a coat, I took classes at our local Community College.
Then decided to take private lessons from the teacher of the knitting classes.
I made a baby outfit with sweater and bottoms with the feet and got one of the feet backwards. Took it into her, she clipped one strand of yarn, took a huge sewing needle, and "knitted" the foot back on the right way. I just watched her with my mouth wide open.
I'm hoping knitting will be what it was to me years ago. It was so relaxing, but at times could get aggravating.
Good luck to you Daisygirl! You can do it!
Lynne

#59369 - 12/25/05 05:22 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Daisygirl...

Most people are visual learners and learn better when someone is beside them showing/teaching. Look in your yellow pages for a yarn store and ask about lessons. Some of the big-box stores are good as well and probably less expensive...try Michaels, JoAnns and there are a couple more I can't think of their names.

Knitting is only two stitches and then manipulations of those two stitches. It's really and truly not that difficult, it does take time and concentration though. When you sit down to knit, find yourself a quiet spot at a time when you're less likely to be interrupted. If you can only devote fifteen minutes a day for the first week...that's enough.

I taught myself to knit years ago, used a book from some acrylic yarn mill in NC, and have never looked back. I don't knit extremely difficult patterns because my local yarn store is +100 miles away. If I run into trouble I don't want to either wait until I can get to the LYS or drive +200 miles round trip to get help. I do keep a lot of little heads warm though :>). I can knit a child's hat in one afternoon and have been known to walk around a store, knitting, and when finished slipping it off the needles, turn and give it to some big eyed little tyke. I always tell them Jesus Loves You and wanted You to have this hat. :>) I love seeing their faces light up.

Tell me where you are and I'll see if I can find someone to help you. I've got a pretty extensive network of knitters around the world.

#59370 - 12/25/05 05:24 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hey Lynn...

are big girl panties called drawers or bloomers?

:>) ducking and running.....

#59371 - 12/25/05 05:17 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sandra, I alreeady did just that. I found a small local yarn shop who is located in our farmers market shops. She has a selection of beautiful yarns. I went to her house for a 1 hour lesson and that got me started. I'm about 3/4 done on my first scarf and I also bought another yarn for the 2nd. I must admit I have already started the 2nd one! I love those skinny long scarves. I will eventually knit something else, but for now I'm enjoying practicing on my scarves.

It seems to me that I'm slow, but I guess I'll pick up speed a I become more experienced.

Merry Christmas!

#59372 - 01/01/06 10:57 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Bead Angel Offline

I can knit but can never pick up crochet, I wish someone can teach me.

#59373 - 10/12/06 05:16 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: Louisa]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
this website says they have a free video - might want to check it out

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

I am a crochetter - tried knitting about 35 years ago and didn't like it as much as crochet.

Donna

#59374 - 10/12/06 01:11 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit [Re: 49erDonna]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It's funny, but in the Spring and Summer months you won't catch me near any yarn, but you let the weather change and get a tad cooler and I start looking for my needles...knitting and crochet needles, that is...

Anybody got a good, easy pattern for a scarf?

JJ

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved