The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#59345 - 12/16/05 08:32 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Lousia ,
That sounds like a good idea . I will start with a scarf to knit sure need one now for this cold weather and my husband and I are wearing ours . Do they still call this knit and pearl ? This is what mother said when she knitted .

#59346 - 12/16/05 08:59 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

Loc: Midwest
Knitting's relaxing and frustrating and addictive and social. Lucky you to have found a yarn store in your vicinity. One word of advice: leave your extra cash, checkbook, and credit card at home!!!

And whatever you do, do "not" accept an offer to work in the yarn store. Unless, of course, you're happy with the idea of regularly spending more on yarn in a week than you earn. [Wink]

Pick a soft yarn, solid or variegated color that you love, and stay way from the fancier 'eyelash' yarns for your first project. All those extra fuzzies make it difficult to see your stitches. A lot of the scarf patterns call for big needles, size 15 at least. I find that large a needle difficult to handle. But the knitting sure goes fast.

#59347 - 12/15/05 09:10 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

MossPatch,
That is interesting about leaving the money at home . Do they try to get you to buy more yard . I don't think that is for me working in a yarn store , but I will keep your advise in mind and thanks for the tip . Do you do a not of knitting ?

#59348 - 12/15/05 09:33 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
MossPatch Offline

Loc: Midwest
Nancy50 -- I do more yarn buying than yarn knitting. [Wink]

If you get bitten by the yarn bug, you won't need to be pressured into buying stuff. You'll automatically begin accumulating your Knitter's Stash. You'll see a color or texture or a pattern and before long you're sneaking yet another bag of yarn into the house when nobody's looking. Or you'll be standing there looking at plain navy blue acrylic and a total stranger will begin gushing over fuscia and lime green mohair and somehow you'll walk out with a bag of turquoise and burgundy silk AND a new knitting buddy.

Seriously, tho. And this is based on what I've seen happen many times. After you take your first lessons, try not to trade that for on-going free help. If you get to a point in your knitting when you can't figure out what to do, arrange for another paid lesson. A question about reading a pattern is ok. Taking in your knitting because you just can't figure out what's wrong is usually ok. But if your problem will require more than a few minutes of the shop owner's time, ask for a paid lesson. The shop owner will love you.

#59349 - 12/15/05 11:39 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Mosspatch,
Thats sound advice and Thank You.

#59350 - 12/15/05 11:50 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mosspatch I learned the hard way that the fuzzy yarns are not good to learn on. Then I bought a less fuzzy yarn and still had trouble! That is a good point about not taking advantage of the shop owner.

#59351 - 12/16/05 06:40 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

. What happens with the fuzzy yarns . Do the ball up like a sweater will sometimes. I know nothing about yars and every little bit will help . Mosspatch you have some good points. Want to learn all I can. Thanks
Daisy you hve some good points .

[ December 16, 2005, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#59352 - 12/16/05 05:07 PM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Nancy50,
Do you have a Michael's Crafts near you? Any other craft store or yarn shop? These places offer lessons. I think the best way to learn is having someone show you. That's how I learned . Start out with something small like a scarf or headband. Something with easy straight knit stitches. Or knit and pearl.
Louisa

#59353 - 12/17/05 08:14 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Lousia,
We sure do have a Michael's up the road from me and I have been in there lots of times. I want to make somemore candy canes out of pike cleans . I made some for my daughter when she was little and want to make more. I will ask when I go up that way today.

Have any of you of you craft girls worked with pipe cleans and made things out of them I made candy canes of white and red and then are so pretty to put on the tree.

Thanks for the helpful tips and I do want to learn to knit .

#59354 - 12/17/05 12:52 AM Re: Help! I'm trying to teach myself to knit
Sadie Offline

Hey Lousia ,
I was in Michaels today and checked out the yarn an needles and bought somemore pipe cleans and wire cutters , boy was it busy in there . Tell more later, got to run .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved