The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#58820 - 06/18/04 06:44 PM decorated tableware
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I haven't purchased any, but I keep seeing artsy/crafty glasswareware that's either painted or decorated with wire and beads. Anyone else seen this?

I'm thinking a great gift would be to buy some inexpensive wine glasses, wire and beads. It looks like all they do is wrap and decorate.

I've also seen some pretty painted glassware too. I know I can't do that because all I can draw are stick figures and I don't think they'd look so nice on wine glasses! [Eek!]

[ June 18, 2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#58821 - 06/18/04 08:16 PM Re: decorated tableware
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I love the painted glassware...let's ask Maggie...

MAGGIEEEE...Oh Maggieeeee...does one have to know how to paint in order to create the painted stemware? Like wine glasses, goblets, etc.? If not, we could do some and give them for Christmas gifts! yes?

Well Ms Maggie? Do we have to be artist?

#58822 - 06/19/04 04:14 AM Re: decorated tableware
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
JJ,Dotsie
You definitely do not have to be an Artist to paint glassware, [Smile] Tole painting lessons do help though.
I recommend a glass paint and a brush or two.
One for liner work and one for wider work. You can use patterns from anywhere that you like. Color books, garden books, the internet. As long as you are not selling these. Artists copyright everything just like writers.
I believe the directions for painting are on the paints.
Remember do not wash these in a dishwasher unless it says you can on the paint package.
Do hope this helps and thanks for asking. There are several artists in this group who may have answers to this question too.
Thanks JJ for making us all princesses. Toni I always wanted to be one too.
Maggie

#58823 - 06/21/04 04:17 AM Re: decorated tableware
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
A few years ago (pre-baby) I hand painted champagne flutes for each member of the family for Christmas and filled the glass as they arrived for lunch...I just did basic squiggles and dots but it all worked out well.

#58824 - 06/21/04 06:51 AM Re: decorated tableware
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hey thanks girls for answering our questions. I'm thinking Christmas gifts and as slow as I am, the sooner I start the better!

JJ

#58825 - 06/24/04 10:11 AM Re: decorated tableware
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
There's special glass paint and then you bake it in the oven for 30 minutes or so. For the painting-challenged, blotches, lines and squiggles look fine.

If you want to glue beads on, do it after the paint has been baked. E-6000 is a really good glue for beads and glass.

I've done painted and beaded glasses, sunglasses, boxes and anything else that moves my little creative heart. One of my boxes won third prize at the county fair last summer.

#58826 - 06/24/04 10:15 AM Re: decorated tableware
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Oh and the wire --- you need a soft wire or you'll break the glasses wrapping it, if we're talking something delicate like champagne flutes. Aluminum is a good choice. For heavy or leaded glassware, you can use any kind of wire.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved