The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58724 - 01/26/04 06:57 PM Knitting & Weaving
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
The Lost Arts Guild is having a statewide exhibition March - May 2004. All sorts of artisans and crafters will be exhibiting. Folks who make traditional, heritage crafts - 4-string mountain dulcimers, hay forks, benches, saddles, courtn' candles, shawls, hats, scarves and lots more. I started the guild a few years ago because there wasn't one in the area and I felt there were a lot of quality crafters going begging. I'm hoping for state and regional exposure and will send out press releases to papers in DC, Baltimore and Richmond. Hopefully, someone will pick up our story and get the word out "there". Brenda, a friend and expert in fillet crochet, has completed The Lord's Prayer in cotton thread. Beautiful! I need to get photos so we can start publicizing her and the guild. The Artisans Center of Virginia, Waynesboro, VA, is where our exhibition will take place.

#58725 - 01/27/04 02:11 AM Re: Knitting & Weaving
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I sell a lot of my work at folk festivals, which include but are not limited to traditional crafts. If you ever put together a brochure with pics and contact info for the crafters in the guild, I'm positive it would be welcome at the info tables of these festivals.

#58726 - 01/27/04 05:37 AM Re: Knitting & Weaving

THANKS Meredithbead! I'm working on a brochure for the guild and will get with you after it's completed. I was doing volunteer work for the county (in tourism) and am now finished my 2 year stint. With all this "free" time on my hands I'm having a ball doing what I want to do!

#58727 - 01/28/04 05:43 PM Re: Knitting & Weaving
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I live in the area of teh exhibit. Do you have any info on specific locations and dates. I would love to see it.

#58728 - 02/02/04 05:07 AM Re: Knitting & Weaving

Artisans Center of VA is in Waynesboro at the outlet center. The exhibition is sometime in March through May, when I have firm information, I'll let you know.

Thanks, Candace, for asking.

#58729 - 03/09/04 01:38 AM Re: Knitting & Weaving

www.artisanscenterofvirginia.org is the website where the Lost Arts Guild is having their exhibit. It opens March 18, reception the 20th and runs through mid-May. They are at the Waynesboro, VA exit on Rt. 64.

I'm excited about the exposure; not sure we'll get many sales. The quality of our products is exceptional! One woman spins her Angora rabbits' fiber on a wheel and then crochets heirloom scarves, hats, vests, etc. Another will crochet your name in white cotton thread called fillet crochet. One young man makes leather riding saddles, his dad works in iron. Another makes wooden items like hay forks, benches, beds, etc. using only 100 year old tools. A gourd gardner and designer, a doll maker, some musical instrument makers...4-string mtn. dulcimers, violins, mandolins, guitars. Lots of wonderful people making beautiful things!

#58730 - 03/10/04 08:28 AM Re: Knitting & Weaving
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Thanks for the info TCF. I am hoping I can get there, but it is about 3 hours away, so we will see. It looks great.

#58731 - 04/14/04 07:12 AM Re: Knitting & Weaving
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
I'm curious how did the festival go here?
Sounded interesting wish we lived closer.
Maggie

#58732 - 04/14/04 09:27 PM Re: Knitting & Weaving

Hi Maggie - the exhibit runs through the 29th of April and so far...so good. Some guild members have sold stuff and others haven't. The broom man has sold the most but he had the most to sell. He raises his own broomstraw and then makes all sorts of brooms out of the straw. Really useful and decorative brooms too.

This has been a good opportunity for folks and the guild has received a lot of exposure. I'm still trying to get more press with different East Coast papers.

I sold some greeting cards of farm scenes. That's good, shows me there's a market out there if I can find the people. Now to get the cards on our website.

#58733 - 04/17/04 08:25 PM Re: Knitting & Weaving
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi Thistle,
Sounds neat and congratulations on the cards. [Smile] They sound beautiful. I am sure there is a market for them.
Is the broom person also demonstrating? It seems like when someone demoes they always sell a lot.
Glad you are doing well!!!!
Thanks,
Maggie

#58734 - 04/17/04 08:30 PM Re: Knitting & Weaving
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thistle,
If you need help with getting the cards on the site let me know. I have greeting cards on my site. I didn't put them there, but the gal who does my site did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved