The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#58718 - 12/31/03 04:50 PM Meredith and Maggie
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
You gals would be so proud of my daughter. We gave her a kit of beads for Christmas and she's been making necklaces non-stop. [Wink]

She even has some of the official clasps and hooks. They look so professional.

She keeps coming upwith al lthese patterns that look awesome. Just thought I'd share.

The first one she made was for her boyfriend...of course, but mine happened to be the second! Not bad, huh, for a sixteen year old girl. The rest are for friends. It's been a great way to keep her occupied during the holidays... when she chooses to stay home with us. [Big Grin]

She also got a new phone for her room so as you can imagine, even if she is home, we don't see her much.

Remember the days of being a teen and on the phone. I remember our house had a wall phone in the kitchen. I'd drag that long cord as far as I could across the room and sit on the basement steps with the door pulled almost tight enough to cut the cord! [Big Grin]

#58719 - 12/31/03 07:36 PM Re: Meredith and Maggie
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Dotsie that's terriffic. Totally awesome that she made you a bracelet too. I love to hear it when children at any age are encouraged to do any kind of arts or crafts. [Smile]
Congratulations!!!
Maggie

#58720 - 01/01/04 01:19 AM Re: Meredith and Maggie
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, that's great! Hobbies like that are terrific for kids, because in addition to learning a new skill, they get a sense of accomplishment by creating lovely gifts for friends and loved ones. My sister's daughter is also into beadwork, and I send periodic care packages of beads I think she'll like. Brittany started writing poetry this year (she's 10!) and my sister feels it's some genetic thing that passed her (sister) by and went to straight to Brittany.

If your daughter has any general questions on beading, or needs to find supplies, have her email me! [Smile] Is there a good bead store in your neighborhood?

#58721 - 01/01/04 03:30 AM Re: Meredith and Maggie
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too agree with everyone about this being a good thing. Children need something they can call their own...a hobby, a musical instrument, anything. Just something that says "this is me...I create this." It doesn't have to be good even...just as long as the world understands this came from ME!

Boy, talk about luck...with Meredith around, if she needs help or instructions, you've got it made! Now...if she needs to know how to slay a dragon, plunder a village, or wear a crown, have her call me, want you?

We had 1 phone for 5 girls for a long time before we got another private line. Both phones had enough line to carry them outside to the back steps for privacy....nice memories.

My first boyfriend, Paul, use to play his guitar over the phone to me every night until I would fall asleep. (Junior high) I'd have the phone next to my ear while laying down in bed. I'd have the covers pulled over my head thinking I was fooling everybody. Mother said she would come back there, pull the covers back, pick up the phone and say "good night Paul, she's asleep" and then hang up the phone. Another nice memory.

#58722 - 01/04/04 09:39 PM Re: Meredith and Maggie
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
jawjaw - that is such a sweet memory [Smile]

I never talked much on the phone as a teen, and still don't really.....my dad ran a bookkeeping/income tax business out of our home, and from Jan to April no one was allowed to be on the phone for any length of time because clients might be trying to call!!! and of course, there was no call waiting.....I grew up answering the phone like a receptionist [Wink]

Beading seems to be a very popular craft/art form right now. I have two friends that bead - one sent me pictures of the beaded glass ornaments she made for christmas - the other one gave me a lovely beaded bracelet....

#58723 - 01/05/04 07:13 PM Re: Meredith and Maggie
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Evie, isn't it nice to get gifts that are handmade? [Big Grin]

Meredith, there is an awesome bead store in the city called Beadazzled. Cool name, huh? I've only been there once but I think I'll be going again soon. [Wink]

She went to school today with many necklaces for her friends to choose from. I think she was a little excited. SHe also sent one home with a friend for his mother and she called and made a big scene about how much she loved it! Had to make her feel good. [Big Grin]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved