The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#58708 - 12/11/03 12:59 AM Re: Martha Stewart?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I might use jelly babies so that they can! [Smile]

#58709 - 12/27/03 09:17 PM Re: Martha Stewart?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Confession, guess what's sitting by the back door at my house? [Eek!]

All the clementine crates that are half painted and empty.

I ran out of steam so there they sit. Hmm, should I throw them away or save them for next year?

We ended up giving our neighbors these really pretty tines of old fashioned hard candy. they reminded me of my youth. There was even some ribbon candy in there!

#58710 - 12/27/03 11:00 PM Re: Martha Stewart?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I love clementines and so does my entire family! The crates turn into all kinds of things for playing with afterward.

Do look for them soon in your grocery stores. They are out of season here fairly soon. I don't know where they are grown - maybe California or South America. But they are great.

Martha would be proud Dotsie!

I miss passion fruit and star fruit for my holiday punch bowl. We had a bush in our backyard that grew wild in Florida with star fruit and they are way too expensive here for garnsih!

I think you should send your crates to Martha in jail. It will give her something to do. After her bars are painted and the walls decoupaged she will be at her wits end.

Maybe she can sponge paint the toilet and the bed frame. Oh well, she will have to think of her own activities. How many years is she looking at? [Confused]

#58711 - 12/09/04 03:01 AM Re: Martha Stewart?
Kristin Offline

Martha just landed a TV deal and has 88 days to go in the slammer. After that it's house arrest. But she's laughing all the way to the prison bank.

I'm happy to hear women here support Martha. I wrote my own pro-Martha piece:

http://quincystarnews.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=91&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=774&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repm ax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=

I have heard of clementine oranges and clementines [Smile]

A little extra holiday opinion: http://quincystarnews.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=91&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=881&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repm ax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=

Anybody here live in Quincy?

#58712 - 12/09/04 03:05 AM Re: Martha Stewart?
Kristin Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Okay so I got your attention... [Big Grin]

I'm about to share the most Martha Stewartish project I've ever done. [Razz]

So you can either click to anothe rpost or read on.... [Razz]

Hopefully some of you will be able to use this idea during the season.

Since the kids were little we would always bake for our neighbors and on Christmas Eve my husabnd and the kids would drive around the neighborhood and deliver the goodies. TRADITION!
Still doing it last year at ages, 14, 15, and 17. We baked all kinds of cookies and always a Baby Jesus Cupcake on each glass plate that I bought from the dollar store.

The Baby Jesus cupcakes were simple to make. Cupcake mix, chocolate icing, coconut with yellow food coloring as hay and a plastic baby plunked down on the hay.

Well with the diabetics in the house I chose to bake less and do something else.

Are you ready for this ladies?

You know the clementines you buy in little crates this time of year? My family loves them, and so do I.

I save all those little wooden crates, spray paint them silver or gold, fill them with greens (all kinds), and put fruit and Christmas candy that I buy at Sam's Club, along with some little ornament that I buy at the dollar store (8 for a dollar), couple candy canes, and call it a gift/center-piece.

What do you think? Would Martha be proud or what?

If you don't buy the clementines, you could use boxes.

They look very Christmasy!

Anyone else have gift ideas?

My gift idea is Gifts in a Jar: http://bakingchristmascookies.com/season/jargifts.php

I love your memories of baking for your neighbors. A friend's mom always bakes a plate of cookies every year with homemade fudge I think. My mom often gave pecan sandies and German Christmas cookies. I think these homemade gifts are the antidote to the malls and the holiday debt we always seem to rack up on things we don't need. Have you ever tried to buy someone a gift who won't give you a clue about what they like, then they look disappointed when they open your gift?

#58713 - 12/09/04 03:49 AM Re: Martha Stewart?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
How serendipitious (is that a word??). My 11 yr old son wants to bake cookies on the weekend. We have one of those "cookies in a jar" things I got like a year ago (ok so I don't bake much)....but I'd lost the instructions to go with it! [Razz] and then I read Kristin's post and voila!!! Thanks...

PS. when I do bake everyone wants to know who's funeral it is - since that seems to be the only time I bake [Wink]

#58714 - 12/10/04 08:40 AM Re: Martha Stewart?
Kristin Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Evie:
How serendipitious (is that a word??). My 11 yr old son wants to bake cookies on the weekend. We have one of those "cookies in a jar" things I got like a year ago (ok so I don't bake much)....but I'd lost the instructions to go with it! [Razz] and then I read Kristin's post and voila!!! Thanks...

PS. when I do bake everyone wants to know who's funeral it is - since that seems to be the only time I bake [Wink]

Happy to help! That's why I co-wrote the book. It makes a great gift for even non-regular bakers (like me). It also makes a wonderful hostess gift, mother-in-law, co-worker, boss's, teacher's, and so forth.

#58715 - 12/10/04 03:53 AM Re: Martha Stewart?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I knew what Clementines are but I don't think they grow here, because I work at several farmers' markets and haven't seen them. Then maybe I wasn't looking for them, as fall is my season for Asian apple pears and persimmons. I eat several lbs. of persimmons every week while they're in season! Love them! [Cool]

A few years back I collected wild gourds in the hills, dried them and then tried to drill them. They are HARD and it took hours to drill. The inmspiration was to make non-holiday-specific hanging decorated ornaments. By the time I finished drilling I had lost my steam and the gourds are still in a box. Too much work. I think I'll stick to jewelry.

#58716 - 12/14/04 08:25 AM Re: Martha Stewart?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kristin, goo didea. I've never given gifts in a jar, but I've been the lucky recipient. I received bean soup in a jar and it was delicious. All I had to do was add water.

#58717 - 12/13/04 10:11 PM Re: Martha Stewart?
Kristin Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Kristin, goo didea. I've never given gifts in a jar, but I've been the lucky recipient. I received bean soup in a jar and it was delicious. All I had to do was add water.

I love bean soup in a jar or those packages you get from Trader Joe's...mmm-mmm.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved