The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58668 - 11/18/03 12:11 AM Scrapbooking
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
I've been reading your posts and they are wonderful. Jawjaw you always make me laugh and I love it. I've been praying for everyone and can't believe what you are all going through.
Four of us traveled to a Scrapbooking open house two hours from here on Saturday. We shopped on the way at our favorite stores. We are in a stamp club together so have a lot of fun. I admit I am the oldest One other woman is a boomer.
We took either stamping or scrapbooking to the open house. Everyone there was working on something different and yet the same, Families.
I am working on my own scrapbook this year as my cousins children are asking me questions about the
family and have given me the title Family Historian. [Smile] I don't have siblings and grew up with my cousins during the summers so they are my half sisters.
I am just hoping that all you writers out there are taking pictures too. Sometimes these help you to heal also.
Our Creative Memories consultant couldn't believe the laughter out of our group. We were swapping fun stories about our lives.
Just had to fill you in on a fun project. Anyone
else doing scrapbooking?
You are all in my prayers.Decided to do it all in one post. What an incredible group of boomerwomen.
Thanks,
Maggie

#58669 - 11/18/03 09:06 PM Re: Scrapbooking
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I've always wanted to take a scrapbooking class -- but it seems to be a rather expensive hobby -- at least the craft shops around here give one that opinion ---

i'd love to keep a kewl scrapbook of my grandbaby as she grows [Smile]

#58670 - 11/18/03 11:29 PM Re: Scrapbooking
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
LP,
If you can't do the scrapbooking thing, do what I did...I got a large book for free of wallpaper samples that the wallpaper store was gonna throw away and I used that to keep pic and memories in. Some I glued in, some I taped in, and some I even stapled in. I know the other one is fun because my girlfriend does it and I am amazed at the number of ways she has learned to scrapbook. It does look like tons of fun, but it is something I can't afford right now either. I think it would be wonderful for you to keep a book on your grandchild. I wish I had a grandchild...but all I have are grand dogs...it pales...

#58671 - 11/18/03 11:37 PM Re: Scrapbooking
Maggie Offline

Yes, it can get expensive especially if you follow all the advice about acid free. It will make your pictures last a hundred years. I don't think I need that but follow some of it. I don't plan to be around a hundred years from now. [Roll Eyes]
A lot of us just get the albums, use the acid free stickers or photo corners and put the pictures in the albums. Sometimes I use my scraps from stamping to mount the pictures on. I pick up
pretty papers whenever I see them to use in my albums. I think the most important part is the journaling. Next to the pictures that is what everyone wants to know. Who is it and what were they doing?
Just think in twenty years your grandbaby will appreciate all the pictures, poems and stories you write about her. [Smile]
I've seen people use the small albums you can
buy at the dollar stores and do fun things with those too.
Do hope this helps a little bit.
Maggie

#58672 - 11/19/03 06:29 PM Re: Scrapbooking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oops, this reminds me that I have a scrapbooking friend that I celebrated New Year's 2000 with.

They came to town and both families spent the night at the harbor. We acted like tourists in our own town. It was a blast. [Big Grin]

She was thoughtful enough to bring be an album and all these cute little cut outs that had to do with the new year. We took tons of pictures that turned out well.

The next summer I saw her and she proudly showed me her book from the new year celebration.

Mine is still in a bag with the album cut-outs and pictures. Hey, at least they are all in the same place. [Big Grin]

#58673 - 11/19/03 06:56 PM Re: Scrapbooking
Maggie Offline

Hi Dotsie,
Loved your post. Sounds all too familiar.
I do have a suggestion for you. Your lucky to have everything in one place. I would just do one or two pages if your going to see her again. Then she will know you are working on the book.
I think scrapbooking is really overwhelming
with all the stuff they have out now to use.
Good luck with yours.
Thanks,
Maggie

#58674 - 11/20/03 02:58 AM Re: Scrapbooking
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I'm not a scrapper myself, but the idea of using a wallpaper book intrigued me.

Seems like all you would need is the free wallpaper book and some water and a marker to make an interesting book. You could glue things together with water if they are pre-glued paper And if you wanted double sided pages you could take it apart and glue the pages together. You could cut out the patterns and glue them onto the plainer pages for decoration and use use borders and stripes to outline photos.

You could write on the cutouts and glue whatever you like on the front and back of the book and the spine to make it really fun.

It might at least be different. Might be especially nice if you used the scraps from a room you've papered. Maybe a good project for kids too.

Gee, that almost got me off the couch to the wallpaper store. But not quite.

smile

#58675 - 11/20/03 03:53 AM Re: Scrapbooking
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I failed arts and crafts in high school and college. But I do cross stitch and scrapbook. Even made all my Christams cards one year!
Scrapbooks don't ahve to be anything more than paper in a color and texture that is appealing to you. This can be picked up at cheap craft stores at 40% discount. Even cheaper this time of year.

If you have decent printing you are home free! Journaling is a snap. My penmanship is bad so I try to spruce up the photos with a little border (stencil) and just go with the printing.

Martha Stewart would keel over but I only want to please myself and leave something for my kids to ponder over. It does not have to be expensive if you buy a practical stencil every four months and stay away from stickers and all the stuff that is gorgeous but I can't complete like the demo.

The point is to get it done and documented and have fun. I would love to scrapbook with others since my creative side comes out in a group. I made a fall wreth at a "Walk in the Woods" party this year. It is no masterpiece but my Mom hangs it on her door.

I guess that is the same as the refirgerator when I was a kid! Oh well.

#58676 - 11/20/03 04:41 AM Re: Scrapbooking
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
That was a nice post, Lynn. I enjoyed it. Say -- if you like to cross stitch check out www.lovequilts.org. Hmm. I think that's it. I better go check!

They stitch quilts for chronically ill and terminally ill children. Lovely ministry. Maybe I should be posting this under the new "recommended links" section. Oops!

#58677 - 11/21/03 04:05 AM Re: Scrapbooking
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
[Eek!] I forgot to mention that I just slip the pages completed in a clear plastic cover and put in a binder. I can get as thick as I want and insert if I got out of chronology.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved