The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58557 - 02/12/03 02:06 AM The Spotted Zebra-new shop
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Just learned of a new shop in town today. It is an artsy place,, very cool. Of course I had to chat with the owner/baby boomer. Guess what? She is going to offer knitting classes at her shop.

Anyone in the Baltimore area that wants to know more, e-mail me and I will fill you in.

#58558 - 02/13/03 02:21 AM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I'm sure you asked her to join us here -- I hope she does -- I'd love to chat with a fellow knitter [Smile]

#58559 - 02/13/03 04:36 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
laxmom247 Offline

Loc: Lutherville
I am trying to teach myself to knit as I have been a long time crochet lover, but ran out of things I wanted to make. It seems like the best looking items other than afghans are all knitted! I think I will contact Dotsie regarding the classes. It really is satisfying to sit with yarn and needles ... stress reducing and yes, therapeutic. [Smile]

#58560 - 02/15/03 02:14 AM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
lionspaaw Offline

I learned to crochet when I was little -- I just couldn't get the "hang of" knitting -- then about 2 years after gettin involved with my moms yarn shop -- I decided -- like you said -- that everything really kewl was KNITTED -- so I sat down and taught myself to knit --

I will always remember that day -- I sat with one knitting needle in my right hand -- and one needle placed between my knees standing straight up -- my mom walked past me and did a double take and said -- WHAT ARE YOU DOING ???? [Smile]

I found that it was easier to hold one needle in my knees due to the fact that I was so used to using one crochet hook -- and eventually I felt comfortable working with both my left and right hand holding a needle -- now I enjoy both equally.
[Smile]

Need support -- email me and we'll struggle through it together [Smile]

#58561 - 02/22/03 02:43 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
What is the difference between American and European knitting? One looks like it has less movement-easier on the wrists.
Also, laxmom, I agree I like the look of knitting better,but have you ever tried crocheting a rug?
I've made a few-with 4 strands on a #10 hook. They feel very nice under the feet,durable and, of course, custom colors.

#58562 - 02/23/03 02:57 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
lionspaaw Offline

The "American" or English version holds the yarn in the right hand -- controlling the tension with your right hand and wrapping the yarn around the needle. The "European" or Continental version holds the yarn stationary in the left hand -- controlling the tension with the left index finger and using the right needle to pull the yarn through. Many people feel this method is the quickest way to knit -- I suppose because there's less time spent moving your right hand around to wrap the yarn? I guess it depends on how you were taught and what feels best for you [Smile]

#58563 - 02/28/03 10:23 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
Joann Sherrer Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
YaHoo-I'm in [Big Grin] The Zebra Shop is something that I definitely want to check out. Does anyone remember the Knitting needle on Alleghaney Avenue in Towson? The sweet lady who owned that retired and moved to Edenwald about 10 years ago. A new Knitting /Yarn store in the Towson area has never replaced it. She had some great old patterns like the Child's Owl sweater. Does anyone have this pattern [Confused] It is a childs cardigan with owls knitted into the bodice that are decorated with button eyes? It's adorable and easy to knit.

#58564 - 03/02/03 03:23 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
lionspaaw Offline

I've been trying to find this pattern for you. It sounds so familiar -- I don't suppose you would remember what book it came out of would you?

I remember once in the shop, a lady came in looking for a childs coat pattern -- she said it was in a Vogue magazine from 1953 and she described the pattern. My mom said -- I have that and sure enough -- she had the magazine at home.

I guess it does pay to be a pack rat sometimes [Smile]

Have you checked into some of the knitting groups on the net? I'll get the one from my mom that she joined -- she seems to be able to find anything she's looking for there.

#58565 - 03/03/03 09:46 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
laxmom247 Offline

The Polka dotted Zebra is my new favorite place and I haven't even been there yet! I talked with Annie who is giving the knitting lessons that I will begin this week!! Of course I do not have the time for this, but I will make time-3 hours over the next 4 weeks and maybe I will finally knit that sweater I always wanted to knit!@! The only problem is making sure it does not interfere with the exercizing that I can't fit in to the schedule either [Big Grin] I'll let you know how it goes. And as if you couldn't guess--lacrosse season is here... [Cool] how much more fun can a mom have?

#58566 - 03/03/03 09:48 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
laxmom247 Offline

Hi caloona, a rug sounds great! what type of yarn works? i need kitchen rugs right now... [Smile]

#58567 - 03/08/03 03:27 PM Re: The Spotted Zebra-new shop
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
Laxmom,I've crotched rugs for my very odd sized bathroom.They were out of the cotton yarn.(4 strands). The pattern had raised "bumps" and they feel like I'm getting a little foot massage when I stand on it.Made some for my mom too. Good thing is I got to choose and match the colors I wanted.
Also have used left over yarn to make-I know this may sound strange-floor mats for my van.This way I get to wash my mats and they have a sort of home-i-ness about them.I took a paper bag,placed it in the areas around the pedals and made my self a template.Also made long ones for the seats in the back.Got tired of mud,sand etc.from dog and children.Since the children are now adults and on their own,and my mats are doing just fine,I can say they wear well.
I got the pattern book years ago but I'm sure something is still around.You could just make something up too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved