The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#58023 - 06/21/05 07:08 AM Re: Back home again
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Oh My! This is bringing me back memories. I just shared with Francine that I lived in Heidelberg for 17 years. I moved back to the States in 1996.

I have been to Garmisch twice and the first time I went was because of a weeklong Tennis Workshop, my fiance (Now my husband) wanted to go because he is a tennis fanatic. We did manage to go to Oberamergau(SP) one night for real bavarian food. It was a nice and quaint restaurant there. The second time I went was when my daughter was 4 years old. We went there to see the Disney Castle, I didn't mind the walk, and the smell of baked pretzels helped tremendously! LOL. The problem with going to these castles is that you have to go early while it is light outside. I remember we went in the winter and it gets dark real early. It was nice to go to the Disney Castle if for any other reason to say that "We have been there", I liked his other castle better. It was smaller, but I think it was prettier. I also remember that my daughter was so fascinated with this excentric king, and his story.

Francine, I don't blame you for being sceptical about the emergency exits. Driving in Germany is like driving an obstacle course.

Have you ever been to Rottenburg? That was also fascinating. You sense what it was like in the mideivel(SP) times.

Anyway, I remember one morning we were invited to our neighbors house for a Bavarian Breakfast. It was Weizenbeir (White Beer) the kind you put a slice of lemon in it, white sausage, and some pretzels. Of course, I didn't want to insult these people, so I ate and had the beer. Then, when we arrived home, I took a nice nap. It was a good thing we didn't have other things planned that day for sure. LOL.

Anyway Francine, I am glad that you made it back okay!

Love and Blessings,
Cathi

#58024 - 06/22/05 12:02 PM Re: Back home again
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Cathi ... you're right about the castles ... I just call them the old castle and the new (Disneyland) castle, lol. The thing I love about many places over here is that the people used walls and the outsides of buildings as their canvass for georgeous painting. Unbelievable art on the walls in both the castles as well as on the buildings in Garmisch.

German breakfast ... well, let's see, the best thing is the bread basket ... fresh brochen, croissants, etc. I cannot get into the breakfast meats (sort of like cold cuts). But the coffee. Coffee here in Germany and most of Europe is AWESOME. No Mr. Coffee's here. Every cup is fresh brewed.

And Rotenburg ... yes we've been and plan to go again after it cools off. Now to me, that's Germany (as opposed to Garmisch) but I'm more into history so that makes sense. Oh yeah, mad King Ludwig ... intersting story.

Anyway, my goal is to write a really good travel article about the trip.

Hugs and blessings, Francine

#58025 - 06/22/05 10:01 PM Re: Back home again
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
I was prego one time we went to Germany - we stayed on base. In fact, it was Christmas eve. We got downtown to the "christmas mart" just in time to get one glass of "gluvine (hot wine) and a pastery to die for (forgive my spelling)...and the booths were being torn down around us.

We had come from ITALY to see this market. Ugh. We pulled up at a restaurant to eat dinner, and as were were stepping out of the car - the lights of the restaurant went out. It was Christmas eve, you know.

So, we went back to base (I was very pregnant and overdue to eat) and we found the "snack machines". Oh joy, a frozen burrito - it would satisfy the baby. The #@!#$% thing got stuck in the machine, and it was a war between man and burrito to see who would win. He was BOUND and determined to get the burrito for me..and he did!

woo hoo!

Lessons learned from the road:

Never, no never, no never travel in Europe during christian holidays (christmas, easter).
There will be NO Food, NO stores open, and NO tourists places to visit!

Danita

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved