The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58013 - 06/18/05 02:34 AM Back home again
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Just to let you all know, my husband and I got back from Garmisch this afternoon. It was a nice trip ... Garmisch was a little disappointing, the guest house "a lot" expensive [Eek!] , and Neuschwanstein Castle "a lot" of steps [Mad] . We ended up in Austria, saw the awesome Swiss Alps covered in snow (back side of the Zugspitze) after we got lost, ate in Bavarian & Italian resaurants, walked around in Garmisch and got some things that say Kloster Biere (Biere is our last name). We went through very long tunnels (they even had emergency exits although I'm not sure where they led to), drove over very long and very high bridges, and traveled over and around and up and down numerous switchbacks of narrow roads. I can't imagine those exits leading out of the mountain because the mountain is huge. And there were times I closed my eyes around the switchbacks. There were a few times I really fought down a panic attack but I put on John Denver [Cool] and my husband got me laughing. The best thing of the whole trip was being together and having fun. And the times when we argued (just a few) I would wait a little bit and then start a conversation on something else and my husband would make me laugh. [Razz] When we disagree I usually clam up and am just miserable.

Unfortunately, we didn't go up the Zugspitz ... and while I was disappointed, it was a wonderful trip. The weather was rainy on Wednesday, sunny and bright yesterday, and slightly overcast today.

I don't know how relaxing it was. The Disneyland castle was challenging ... I've never walked so many steep hills (and it really wasn’t walking … it was hiking [Razz] ) or gone up and down so many twisty staircases. It was soooooo HARD. But worth it. We were a little disappointed with Garmisch itself. There were some pretty buildings but the surrounding area was beautiful. And I took about 200 photos [Smile] (thank goodness for digital cameras).

But it's good to be home and back here at BWS.

Blessings, Francine

#58014 - 06/18/05 04:10 AM Re: Back home again
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Welcome back Francine, sounds like an interesting journey. Sent you an email about your story...Send it to me via email if you can.... [Cool]

#58015 - 06/18/05 01:15 PM Re: Back home again
writegirl1949 Offline

Chatty Lady: I sent it off while you were sleeping, lol.

Hugs and blessings, Francine

#58016 - 06/19/05 07:17 AM Re: Back home again
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Welcome back. I don't know if you're aware but my sister lives in Paris and she also travels a lot. You might want to look at her site:
www.lindamathieu.com I think the two of you have a lot in common.

Thanks for sharing.

[ June 18, 2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#58017 - 06/19/05 06:12 PM Re: Back home again
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
write, what fun. Have you gotten to do much traveling while you've been there? When do you return to the states?

#58018 - 06/19/05 11:40 PM Re: Back home again
writegirl1949 Offline

Dotsie ... We've been to Venice and Ireland plus we've traveled around Germany. I hope to have some of my travel articles on my web site WHEN I get the site up, hopefully sometime next week.
Oh, I've been to Poland and Strousburg, France.

We come back for good in Feb/Mar but I'll be returning to Arizona in September for the kickoff booksignings for my book. And to celebrate my granddaughter's birthday. I've managed to come back every six months for her and my grandson, Cody's birthdays.

Anyway, we hope to go to Switzerland and a few more places before leaving.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to travel but it sure will be good to go home.

#58019 - 06/19/05 11:56 PM Re: Back home again
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Sounds like you had a wonderful time Francine. I did warn you of the walk to the castles...lol. I was totally exhausted after the Disney castle and then we did the other one the next morning before starting off over the Alps to Switzerland. I can see your description, that's neat, and I've experienced it.

#58020 - 06/20/05 02:10 PM Re: Back home again
writegirl1949 Offline

Sherri: I did tell my husband that I'd been given fair warning, lol.

It was just that I figured if we took the bus up, the walk wouldn't be so bad. WRONG.

Still, after the view from the bridge, I'd do it all over again.

#58021 - 06/20/05 06:22 PM Re: Back home again
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Writegirl,

When my hubby and I lived in Italy - we made that same journey and loved it! We stayed in Garmisch and found it so lovely. (you've got to remember we were coming from Naples, which is the armpit of Italy). The thing with Germany was - that I could NEVER find anything to eat. Just couldn't make the adjustment. ha. Took me a year to appreciate "true Italian cooking"!

I loooveee Europe - so beautiful and interesting - but appreciate the "ease" of living in America!

Thanks for sharing your day! It brought back sweet memeories!

Danita

#58022 - 06/20/05 06:45 PM Re: Back home again
writegirl1949 Offline

Danita ... Europe is an intriguing place. We went to Venice last year and stayed on Lido Island ... it was awesome. I wasn't that excited about going. Boy was I impressed. It's a vibrant and colorful city.

Yeah, I'm the same way about German food. We stayed at a "traditional" Bavarian guest house famous for it's food. Well, let's say I wasn't that impressed. The second night we were there we found a small Italian restaurant. What I do enjoy over here is Greek food. We have two Greek restaurants in the small town we live in.

I am thankful for this experience of a lifetime. Glad it brought back sweet memories.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved