The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57976 - 05/18/05 11:12 PM I'm Back!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hello Ladies, I'm back from our trip to the Keys. We stayed for a few days then drove back. It's about a 6 hour drive for us from where we live.

Now for the big news. My husband "caught the bug" and wants to live in the keys. It's beautiful there, but VERY VERY expensive. Little one bedroom cottages sell for $200K and more. A house comparable to what we're living in now would cost us $800K or more.

Not only does my husband want to move, he wants to give up his job and work for less money living in the keys. He says he can get a job at more than 1/2 his current job and then "pick up" extra jobs on the side to make up the difference. He says this is his "dream."

As a side note, my husband just turned 38 this month and is feeling "old". (I know, I know, he's a lot younger than me, what can I say. [Smile] )

I don't know if I'm ready for such a life changing experience. We're quite comfortable where we are now. We enjoy a good life and are out of debt (except mortgage and car payment.)

I have some serious medical needs that I'm not sure can be met in the keys. But living in the keys might also help with my anxiety. However, I should not be counted on as a second income except for what I bring in in royalties from my books.

But, right now, just thinking about selling our house, moving, giving up my husband's job, the unknown, uncertainty, and basically having to start over at this point in our life really gives me a HUGE panic attack.

Am I being selfish? Should suck it up and give my husband his dream? What if we end up homeless?

#57977 - 05/19/05 12:57 AM Re: I'm Back!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Hard call. Gosh. Maybe, given some time, he'll rethink it and decide to wait until he retires. Would it actually cause you more stress worrying about it? I'm afraid I'm not much help here.

#57978 - 05/19/05 03:31 AM Re: I'm Back!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It could be the answer to a prayer for peace and tranquility or it could be a disaster but you'll never know if you play it safe. Sounds like your husband is the kind that would never allow you to be homeless. Why not give it six months and try and communicate with people that live there and get the good and the bad before making any decisions....Sounds like a wonderful movie or book to me....good luck!

#57979 - 05/19/05 08:32 PM Re: I'm Back!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, whatever you do, keep the lines of communication open. Be sure he knows exactly how you feel every step of the way. By the way you speak of him, I don't think he would push you to do something you are totally uncomfortable with. You never know, you may become more comfortable with the idea the longer it sits. I think the Keys would be an inspiring enviromnment for a writer.

I have a friend whose husband got the job offer of his life four hours away. She's moving. He has very much accomodated her through the years. She believes it's her time to accomodate him. The fact that it's in a beach town helps!

#57980 - 05/19/05 09:16 PM Re: I'm Back!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

You ladies give me a lot to think about. Dotsie, you're right. I must let him know how I feel, and not keep it all bottled up inside. Otherwise, he won't understand my reactions.

Chatty, one of the good things about the keys is that we go to visit it every couple of months or so, so I can keep doing scouting work while we're there and talk to others who live there.

Dianne, it does cause me more stress worrying about it, but that's an issue I have to deal with. As for waiting for my hubby to retire, that's a thought. However, he may say that he doesn't want to wait, he'll be too old then. [Smile]

I appreciate all your comments and am grateful for your "second set of eyes" to my dilemma.

[ May 19, 2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#57981 - 05/20/05 04:04 AM Re: I'm Back!
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Vicki,
I lived in the keys for about 8 years and it was a wonderful environment. But it also brings day to day life. A get away there and living there are really quite different.

I still had all the same problems I would have had elsewhere but I did enjoy my time in the sun and think of it fondly.

I am about to quit my job because I am headed for a nervous breakdown if I don't. I bring in the bulk of our income and all the benefits and our family needs beneftis badly. I am negotiating a severance to cover us until I can find something comparable. But there is no guarantee that I will. I could easily become a single parent and that scares me. But in my soul I know that if I stay, I am hurting myself in the long run and taking away from the life we have everyday. So I chose life and am leaving.

There is a slight parallel here but not exact by a long shot. Can you get quiet and reflect on what your intuition is telling you? Along with doing your research of the area. Locals know more than anybody, if you can get in with a couple of them, you will learn about medical facilities and their worth. Homes that may be coming up for sale. Development that is on the table etc.

Which key would you move to? How far from Homestead or Miami for medical needs? What type of work is available and is it year round?

Don't forget about having faith and the keys are a very magical place.

Keep us posted on your thoughts and your progress.

Lynn

#57982 - 05/21/05 07:12 AM Re: I'm Back!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Lynn, we're looking in the Islamorada area. That's where we stay when we go down there. We know some locals, and we stay in their guesthouse.

The work that my husband is looking at is year round work, working as a programmer or an IT manager. The problem is, the pay is no where near commiserate with the living expenses. Houses are so expensive. That's one of my biggest fears.

I agree the Keys are a magical place. However, I'm afraid that my husband is just so discontent with his work right now that he's looking for an escape. The keys would be a great escape, but the work problems could still exist as he will still work in the same field.

I hope it all works out for you with quitting your job. It's important to think of yourself at times and a stable life is more important than a nervous breakdown.

#57983 - 05/21/05 05:24 AM Re: I'm Back!
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Vicki,

Keep us posted on your and your hubby's thoughts, progress.

You are right that you can take the same problems with you but it sounds like you have some connections there that will help sort out some of the rough edges and the unknowns.

Dotsie was right that the keys inspire creativity and writers and artists abound. Might be very inpirational for you.

An IT job in the keys sounds almost impossible to get so maybe he is very fortunate. Or things have changed tremendously.

Lynn

#57984 - 05/23/05 09:54 PM Re: I'm Back!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Well, just to catch ya'll up, DH has not succumbed to the irristible draw of the island keys and gone bonkers on me. He wants to go through a financial analysis before even considering looking for another job. "yay".. and this isn't an overnight decision he wants to make. We are going to let it "Stew" for awhile and think about it calmly.

This is a dream he has, but not one that we must drop everything and fulfill immediately. "Whew!"

Clearer thinking has prevailed.

#57985 - 05/23/05 10:15 PM Re: I'm Back!
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Good for you both!! That's a major decision and shouldn't be done overnight or on a sudden urge.

#57986 - 05/24/05 12:59 AM Re: I'm Back!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Hallelujah! Kind of scary, huh?

I don't know. I think my husband has decided to become a real estate tycoon on the side. Just bought a sky flat and put a deposit down on another one, in a different part of the city. Seems to believe he'll make a profit. Whatever. Just don't spend my inheritance!

#57987 - 05/24/05 03:24 AM Re: I'm Back!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Very few people DO NOT make money with Real Estate investments just ask Donald TrumP, Merv Griffen, Martha Stewart and thousands of WEALTHY business people and regular folk too that invest in RE.... [Cool]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved