The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#57917 - 03/24/05 06:21 PM Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I just put together a montage of photos from our recent trip to Cuba (near Santa Lucia in Camaguey province). My husband's family has been going to this same place for over 12 years. Hubby's been there 9 years; I was always working and could never get vacation, so this was only my third visit to Punta Ganado. When you see the pictures of our *unofficially adopted family* there, you'll understand why we keep going back...

Faces of Punta Ganado

[ March 24, 2005, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#57918 - 03/24/05 09:17 PM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is so amazing. Did they go there on vacation and happen upon this village? Is this done through your church, or just your family? What a lovely way to reach out.

Please tell us more.

#57919 - 03/24/05 10:21 PM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Eagle Heart Offline

About 12 years ago, my husband's two brothers went on vacation to one of the resorts at Santa Lucia. Since there's not a whole lot to do in Cuba (no malls, restaurants or movie theatres, except in a few of the larger cities), they decided to *follow the road as far as they could go*. They took a caleche (horse-drawn cab) until the road got too bad even for the poor horse, so then they got out and kept walking along this dirt road.

They walked to the last house on the road, where there was a very old man sitting out on a chair on his verandah. The old man waved them over and despite language differences, they struck up an immediate bond of friendship and soon the entire family came out to meet the brothers. The rest is history. And how the family has grown since that first day!!!

The one brother (who just died last January in his late 70's) went back every year, sometimes two or three times a year, to visit his Cuban family. The other brother (also in his 70's) still goes back every year to visit and bring whatever stuff he can. My husband started going with them 9 years ago, and I joined in 3 years ago. Hubby's sister came with us this year. Other members of his family give us clothes and medicines and other goodies to take there.

The old man who the two brothers met on the verandah that day died a few years ago the day after the brothers and hubby had come to visit him. It seemed as if the old man had waited for them to arrive before dying. The brothers had brought him a heavy sweater (along with a wheelchair so he could get around the village) many years ago, and he had insisted on being buried in that much-beloved sweater.

We do this on our own, just within my husband's family. We're not rich by any stretch of the imagination, (except in comparison to them), but they're our family now too, and we just share what little we have with them. Our biggest headache is the weight restriction on our suitcases when we fly down there, but most of the airlines do give us a little break on the overweight charges when they realize how much of it is going to stay there. We also send small packages throughout the year, but those don't always make it to the right people, so we can't send anything new or of any real value through the mail.

I'm a bit long-winded when it comes to talking about Cuba...can you tell it's a true heart-passion of ours?

#57920 - 03/25/05 04:19 AM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Eagle, how are Americans received in Cuba? Do they hate uslike so many other countries? I believe its illegal for us to visit Cuba. Sounds like nice people and good for your husband and you for being so kind to the less fortunate.

#57921 - 03/25/05 04:26 AM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Eagle Heart,

I have only ben to Cuba twice. 1980 and 1985. The first time was the Cuban boatlift. What a disaster for so many.

I wqould be happy to share storeies if you want to email me.

Lynn

#57922 - 03/25/05 07:35 PM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by chatty lady:
Eagle, how are Americans received in Cuba? As long as they bring in tourist dollars, the Cubans don't care who they are.

Do they hate uslike so many other countries? Wow, what a question! I've been wondering how to answer this one. I'd like to say it isn't true, but the best I can say is that it's getting much better. One thing that rubs people the wrong way is when tourists come into a foreign country expecting/demanding that everything be exactly like home...and then when it's not, they become verbally abusive, equating "different" with "inferior", forgetting to respect the culture and history behind that culture.

We've witnessed this kind of humiliating verbal abuse over and over again in our travels. Americans aren't the only culprits, but for some reason they seem to be perceived as the least tolerant of cultural and racial differences.

Unfortunately it seems to be human nature to paint everyone with the same paint brush, so what a few obnoxious tourists do tends to tarnish everyone else. But like I said, it's getting much better, and as the American tourists continue to show appreciation for other cultures and accept "different" as good and right in their own right, and stop making everyone else feel humiliated and inferior for being non-American, they're opening the door to allow everyone to see other nationalities' tourists who behave even worse, so it's painting Americans in a much better light.

I believe its illegal for us to visit Cuba. Yes it still is, but many do come via Mexico or Canada or other Cuba-friendly countries. They tend to keep a low profile, and seem to greatly enjoy/embrace the Cuban culture, which helps to improve everyone's image of American tourists.

#57923 - 03/25/05 09:20 PM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Beautiful idea and beautiful pictures.

#57924 - 03/26/05 06:59 AM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Well said, Eagle. So much of the travel experience depends on the traveler herself and what she packs in her heart and head, not in her suitcase.

Visiting a new land and being welcomed by its people is one of life's richest gifts, yet many travelers spoil the gift. Rather than embracing differences as enriching opportunities, they look upon them as annoying inconveniences. When they share this annoyance, so often in rude, hurtful ways, they unwittingly make the job of "good travelers" harder, giving us more remedial, ambassadorial fence-mending to do. Travel with a curious mind, an open heart, and an ability to go with the flow, or consider staying home.

For those of us who know that if God had intended us to stay put He would have given us roots, there is no "they." We're all "us." Human beings who, with a little effort, humility, respect and humor, find a common bond that makes hate impossible. Travel is the best way I know to wipe out hate.

#57925 - 03/26/05 05:12 PM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Eagle,
Beautiful pictures, beautiful people, and you and your family have beautiful hearts. I can't thank you enough for sharing with us. Excuse me for asking a dumb question, but I'm truly interested and don't understand. If its illegal for us to visit Cuba, how do you do it?

Once again thank you for sharing this part of your life with us all. I know you all have made God smile.

JJ

#57926 - 03/26/05 09:04 PM Re: Faces of Punta Ganado (Cuba)
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Lori Hein:
Visiting a new land and being welcomed by its people is one of life's richest gifts...embracing differences as enriching opportunities...there is no "they." We're all "us."...find a common bond that makes hate impossible. Travel is the best way I know to wipe out hate.

Amen to all that! I'm an avid believer in unity in diversity, and that traveling anywhere, even within one's own community, with open eyes opens our hearts to believe in the possibility that the differences we encounter in other people can enrich us (e.g., challenge our "my way or no way" philosophies) and unite us (in that mutual, universal struggle to be who we believe we can be). Unfortunately we are quick to view many of these inconvenient differences as "inferior and intolerable" barriers that make us uncomfortable and end up dividing and alienating us from each other.

quote:
[/QB] From Jawjaw: If its illegal for us to visit Cuba, how do you do it? [/QB]
It's not illegal for Canadians to visit Cuba.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved