The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#57753 - 10/11/04 04:32 PM 7 countries in 10 days?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sherri, this forums is waiting to hear from you! [Wink]

#57754 - 10/13/04 03:47 AM Re: 7 countries in 10 days?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Ok, maybe a word or two about my trip. I am still jet lagged and am working a double shift tomorrow, still have Heather and 3 kids with us also.

We went to Frankfort Germany where our son picked us up and took us back to where they live to take our luggage. We surprised Christina at her school and brought her McDonalds for lunch, then off to see some castle ruins. Brian was determined to keep us up till at least 8pm so we would get over jet lag faster. Finally went to bsed around 8:30 and totally crashed!! Lost all my pictures from that first day by doing something totally unknown but pretty stupid while transferring to computer.

That was pretty much Day 1. I have all 10 days chronicled and will just try to hit the highlights of each day.

Germany is beautiful and so very clean! Driving back from Frankfort, you would have thought you were on the East Coast on a highway, except everyone was traveling about 100 mph and the signs were unreadable to us!! Barb and Brian live in a quaint big german home that has 3 floors, with the first floor holding a seperate apartment, rented to someone else but was originally in laws quarters. They have a jacuzzi tub and a seperate suana house. We didn't have the time to try that out, we went so much and when we were home we crashed!! The kids remembered us but Christina said "Grandma you look different from what I remember" I said well last time you saw me I had shoulder length brown hair with a perm and about 50 lbs heavier!! LOL. She is 7 going on 18! Josiah will be 5 in February and he didn't really remember us that well, but while riding back, he would look sideways at me from his car seat, with his huge brown eyes with long to die for lashes and then blow me a kiss sideways. That is pretty much Day 1.

Will write more later, we did so much and saw so many awesome sights that I know I can only hit the highlights here. I am really hoping to write up my experiences and try to find a travel market for them.

Talk to you all later, if you want me to continue the saga, just let me know.

Sherri

#57755 - 10/13/04 04:10 AM Re: 7 countries in 10 days?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Of course we do Sherri! We get to take the trip when you relive it...so please?

JJ

#57756 - 10/13/04 01:42 PM Re: 7 countries in 10 days?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I agree Sherri! I'd love to hear more about your trip. Hearing about Germany is particularly cool - My husband and I are talking about taking our vacation there in 2006. I lived in Weisbaden, Germany in the early 50s when my Dad was stationed there - have a FEW memories of Germany but not many.

ANYWAY - TELL US MORE MORE MORE!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

#57757 - 10/23/04 02:11 AM Re: 7 countries in 10 days?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
MORE PLEASE!!

WE have many days to go here and lots to see.

Lynn

#57758 - 10/25/04 09:11 PM Re: 7 countries in 10 days?
Sherri Offline

Ok folks, my house is full of kids and I am struggling to keep myself sane, but I intend to work on Day 2 this evening. More to come, hope you enjoy it!

Sherri

#57759 - 10/29/04 04:17 AM Re: 7 countries in 10 days?
Sherri Offline

Ok girls, most of you all know that things are really crazy around here, but i thought I would put the second day of my vacation here in case anyone wanted to continue the saga.

We are nearing the border of France. We have been on base and exchanged some American dollars for Euros, ate lunch, I had Taco Bell and wandered outside visiting the vendors that were on-site that day. We spoke to an Indian seller who was selling original paintings by a German Painter. I fell in love with one that reminded me of a Thomas Kincaid painting and was beautiful. I wanted to buy it, until I found out it cost nearly $4000! The man offered to take payment out of our Visa card, in 4 installments. I politely declined and was told he would be there through Sunday if we changed our mind.

He was interesting to talk to, a little of his history was that he was born in India before India and Pakistan were split up into separate countries. His parents had both been professors and his father had the present President Musharif in one of his classes. His cousin was a professor at Oxford University in England.

We are now officially in France. We are going to a large cathedral in Metz and to see a typical French town. In Metz we took the Smith scenic route and found a place to park the van. Steve had to park it, the spaces are so narrow and not made for large American size cars. The architecture is beautiful! Flowers everywhere in full bloom made a picturesque background to the city. I think we got some great movies and still pictures. We stopped first at the Metz cathedral of Notre Dame. We were only able to take pictures of the outside. Then on to explore the city of Metz. We needed to find a bathroom and found ourselves in a huge mall. We followed the signs till we found the bathrooms. We had to pay to use the facilities! In France there are no seats on the toilets and the toilet paper is rougher then our Bounty! I think also that you are supposed to tip the attendant, but being an ignorant American with no Euros I went on my way. The mall was just like a mall in America except no English was spoken. A nice Frenchwoman offered to show us where the main cathedral was since she was walking in that direction anyway.

The Cathedral of Saint Stephen. Huge, beautiful, awesome, there are not enough words to describe the beauty of it. Not being able to read the signs, I didn’t know I was not supposed to take flash pictures. I should have looked at the sign as I was going in instead of going out. Course, I got paid back for that, since I accidentally erased all 96 pictures that I had taken in Metz, the cathedrals and the castle ruins we visited the day before!

The French shopkeepers were friendly and helpful; I did still have to call on Brian to help translate and Steve to pay her the Euros. I bought a magnet for the fridge for us and a present for Barb and Christina. Found something later for Josiah. I brought their Christmas over but didn’t have a gift to give them when we arrived. I barely got all the Christmas in as it was.

We took a tram tour and it was well worth the money. It was great to hear about the history of the town. It goes all the way back to when it was Roman territory. The Cathedral of Saint Stephen had stained glass windows from the 15th century and Chagall designed some that in the 20th century. I love our American history and visiting historical sites in the US, but it doesn’t compare to realizing how old some of these buildings are.

We are on the road again for a quick visit to Luxembourg just to say that we were there, no passport stamps as they are open borders. Then Brian decided to take us on down to Belgium since we were so close. We ate dinner in Belgium at a truck stop; food was good, but so much different! I had demi paulette and frites which was baked chicken and French fries. I had a taste of Brian’s roll and his chocolate and vanilla pudding. The chocolate was not sweet and the vanilla pudding tasted like it had been made from water.

We had to pay again at the restaurant to use the bathroom, but at least they had seats on their toilets! It is a little funny to have to ask for Brian or Steve to pay for me to use the rest room. I am still not used to the Euro money and haven' been carrying any on me. I have the American money. They do love the Visa card here though!

So far everyone has been friendly and helpful. The French shopkeeper even smiled a little at me when I tried to say Thank You in French. I never could roll my rrr’s, not for my Spanish or French class. Thank goodness we have Brian. He loves to practice his language skills and I love having him and not feeling so helpless.

The trees are just beginning to turn here. They will probably reach full color just after we leave to go home. Wood is plentiful here and many people use it to warm their homes at night, or “just to take off the chill.” They are predicting a cold winter here. Bees are also plentiful here as well. Something about this year and the bees.

No matter where you go, the villages are picturesque with at least one church spire in each village. Roofs mostly made of tile. Barb and Brian have a 3 story German home that they are renting. It has a sauna building in the back and a Jacuzzi tub. Beautiful wood beams and plenty of room.

When we got back to Krieckenbach, we looked at the movies that we had taken in Metz and they are good. You can tell we are still learning how to use the movie camera, but I think it is still good. I accidentally erased all 96 pictures I had on my memory chip for my camera. That upset me, but Brian said we could go back to the castle ruins and take some more, it isn’t too faraway. I also want to walk the village and visit the bakery and take pictures of some of the homes. Streets are narrow and people park wherever they choose to. It is also illegal to talk on the phone while driving. I am thinking that we should have some of the same laws. Compulsory separation of the trash for recycling too.
Germany is a clean country with trash cans everywhere. Finally after a long day, we went to bed, but the movies still played through my head of all the wonders we had seen today. It is beautiful and so exciting to be here. I know right now that I want to come back! We still have so much to see. So far we have been in 4 countries! I love it and it seems so surreal that we are here. Somewhere I have always dreamed of visiting but never thought I would be able to.

Sherri

#57760 - 10/30/04 04:38 PM Re: 7 countries in 10 days?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sherri, what a whirl-wind tour. The sites sound breath taking. I'm so sorry you lost those pictures. [Frown] I've done similar and I can't stand it.

I bet you love watching the movies now that you're back home. Great family memories. they're the best kind!

We should be keeping track of all the places boomer babes have been this year. [Wink]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved